PDA

View Full Version : Recommended US States for Flight Training

Aerocadet
8th Jun 2009, 11:34
Good day!

When training in the USA, some would often advise that a student should go to California and Florida because of good and consistent weather.

I would just like to ask for anyone recommendation on which states (aside from CA and FL) are good for flight training in the USA and any suggestions on where to build quality IR experience and time building.

Thanks! :}

CrazyStuntPilot
8th Jun 2009, 20:41
Texas is an other good one. It's much cheaper than California, Wx is mostly VFR in the summer and fall season, half time VFR and half time IFR during winter and spring.

sapperkenno
10th Jun 2009, 05:57
ARIZONA is definitely a great place to build time. As far as building "quality IR experience"... I have no idea what you mean?? You can file/fly under IFR with an Instrument Rating, and use foggles/hood to practice your instrument flying (w/safety pilot). I don't think it would be in your interest to head out somewhere just to fly genuine hard IFR in the clouds/turbulence/ice just to have "real" experience if that's what you're getting at! :eek:

Doha1
16th Jun 2009, 20:15
I have just come back from GATTS Inc in Manhattan Kansas - 7 day IR course. Cannot recommend these guys enough.

N-X211
17th Jun 2009, 12:48
sapperkenno, I also heard from other sources that AZ is a great place to fly.
Could you recommend any particular school there?

Cheers

wis3384
17th Jun 2009, 14:55
I recommend FLorida as the best weather for flight training all year long and check out PEA (http://www.pea.com)

vonRichthofen78
22nd Jun 2009, 21:22
I'll strongly recommend FL. Have just spent 12 days in St. Augustine (with Florida Flyers, relatively new school) and finished my Instrument Rating on their fast track program. I think there was a good combination of great weather but also a fair share of real instrument conditions.
I'd agree that from a safety point of view it should be preferable to practice IFR under the hood, but eventually actual IMC and simulated IMC are two different things.
However, if anyone wants to hear some more detailed feedback about flying in FL or about the particular school, just send me a PM.

sapperkenno
23rd Jun 2009, 23:51
Yeah, I can recommend Chandler Air Service at KCHD. Their website is Chandler Air Service (http://www.aerobatics.com)

INNflight
24th Jun 2009, 06:47
Check out Prairie Air Services (PAS) in Benton, Kansas.

The area is not the most exciting, but I can tell you hands down you will have the best IR instructor in the entrie US (no, I am not exagerrating). Plus, Kansas and the likes ALWAYS have a good deal of wind, so you'll have some challenging IR flying for sure.

The prices are dead cheap compared to Florida and Cali too.

Capt. Spock
24th Jun 2009, 17:04
I would also recommend Kansas. Cheap avgas and KS is not short on experienced flight instructors.

I have heard good things about Prairie Air Service but you might also consider Star Bright Aviation in Iola.