PDA

View Full Version : Multi CPL/IR in the UK - Advice Needed

davelongdon
7th Jun 2009, 12:53
Trying to come up with the most cost effective way of getting my Frozen ATPL. Is the following proposed way viable as they is alot of confusion....alot of the flying schools will knock off 5 hours off the IR once you have done your CPL....but can your IR be done as part of your 150 hours building. This is my proposed idea, although I will be grateful of some advice.

PPL (45 Hours)
Night Rating (5 Hours)

ATPL Ground School & Exams (probably with Bristol)

Hours Building (50 Hours Building) (Cross Country Flying)

Multi Engine Rating (7 Hours)

IR Rating (55 Hours)

ME - CPL (25 Hours)

Any remaining hours for licence issue will also be done. How many hours are needed for licence issue?

What does anybody think????

Regards

jeyjey
7th Jun 2009, 14:11
Sorry, but its almost impossible to calculate the cost that exactly. Learning and flying skills are different among students. Try to ask people about their experiences with different flight school, this is much more helpful as trying to find the cheapest solution. And dont forget, there is a lot of money in the game, so never keep promises to real ! Good luck :ok:

davelongdon
7th Jun 2009, 14:20
Thanks for your reply.....costings i can work out. What I am trying to find out is whether I can do it this way as it seems to be the cheapest.

Obs cop
7th Jun 2009, 22:52
Dave,

Nice try but 2 minor problems.

Firstly, most IR's have a significant chunk (up to 35 hours) in a sim, which do not count as part of the 150 flying hours to start the CPL.

Likewise, you need 70 hours P1 to gain a MEP rating and 100 hours P1 for CPL licence issue.

The harsh reality is that your ability will make far more difference to your costings than the order of the courses. If £1000 extra puts you over budget such that you'll run out of cash and won't be able to complete, then think very long and hard. 1 hour in a twin for additional training is over £300 at most schools and retaking CPL or IR flight tests doesn't bear thinking about. It's worth pointing out that the ME IR is far far more demanding than the CPL, so most people choose to complete the CPL first to gain the maximum training and experience.

Regards,
Obs

camel toe
7th Jun 2009, 23:36
"alot of the flying schools will knock off 5 hours off the IR once you have done your CPL"

This is correct but bear in mind that you need to have met the requirements for CPL "issue" which is 200 hours total in order to get the reduced IR.

You don't have to have the CPL issued to do the IR, but you must have met the requirements.

Back to your original question, there is no right or wrong way, but trust everyone who tells you it will cost more than you originally budget. You need to factor in extra training hours, possibly an exam resit, and maybe a partial of a skills test.

Best of luck

Camel Toe
"Over Macho Grande?"

davelongdon
8th Jun 2009, 18:48
I do appreciate all of your help guys, Thank You so Much.

Here is another one for you.

If I do a Multi Engine Rating, IR and CPL

Will I need to do a Multi Engine CPL or can I do a single engine CPL because I already have the multi engine rating?????

Regards

David

TheBeak
8th Jun 2009, 21:20
You can do a SE CPL, of course.