PDA

View Full Version : Poor airmanship in the face of an emergency

Ultralights
6th Jun 2009, 22:20
Yesterday at YSBK, an unfortunate pilot suffered an engine failure mid downwind Runway 29R, he was fortunate and did a fantastic job in that he made the field, but didnt make the strip and landed very hard in the soft soil just short of the threshold(slid all of 50 mtrs). the tower immediately call all aircraft to stop and shutdown where they are. mid taxi, wherever. those in the circuit were asked to make a full stop and taxi to the tower and stop. everyone followed the instruction and watched as 2 people emerged from the Cherokee and walked away. sadly, as emergency crews were arriving (10 mins later) 2 aircraft begun taxiing and hence got a blasting from the tower to stop taxiing immediately and shut down, both aircraft ignored the tower and continued taxiing, after a few more blasts from the tower, the tower demanded to know which operator both aircraft were from.. 1 a liberty. and the other, a Cherokee from REX (it did look nice in its new REX paint as it taxied around the numerous aircraft shut down on the taxiways everywhere) obviously this is a not a good reflection on the REX school, the liberty, well, no comment there.
Cmon guys/girls, Airmanship! practice it, Teach it! think of your schools reputation, and your own. and not to mention the people involved in emergency procedures rescuing those unfortunate enough to suffer such an accident.

that's my rant for the month.

YoDawg
6th Jun 2009, 22:47
What else would you expect at a GA aerodrome? No one's even taught them what Airmanship is, yet.

:zzz:

KittyKatKaper
7th Jun 2009, 02:46
Not sure how to interpret your post Ultralights.
Did those 2 aircraft acknowledge the calls from the tower and then kept taxying ?

(My first thought was that those A/C were just not monitoring SMC or TWR)

Ovation
7th Jun 2009, 03:48
Always a good outcome if you can walk away and tell the insurance company they have a problem.

A question:

After the Cherokee was evacuated, and the ES were on the scene, do you believe it was essential to have all the other affected aircraft remain where they were, and if yes, why?

and:

How long after the ES were on the scene did BK Ground allow aircraft to re-start and resume operations?

Ultralights
7th Jun 2009, 05:45
Did those 2 aircraft acknowledge the calls from the tower and then kept taxying ?

sadly yes. they replied to the call, yet failed to comprehend what it meant, and continued taxiing.. :ugh:

The pilot and pax of the crashed Cherokee evacuated the aircraft immediately, much to the relief of everyone who saw it. though it was a very hard landing, and they will feel it for some time i would imagine, within a minute of the crew evacuating, the service ground truck was there, and informed the tower of leaking fuel and the state of the pax. when the pilot of the liberty asked why he had to shut down, the tower responded (SIC) "I do not have control of the emergency vehicles on the airfield, and for their safety, everyone has to stop"
there were 3 police vehicles, 2 ambulances 1 paramedic vehicle and 3 fire rescue vehicles in attendance, all racing up the strip and taxiways to the site.
with the emergency crews on the airfield, i can understand why the controller wanted every aircraft stopped.

das Uber Soldat
7th Jun 2009, 06:28
Ah, liberties and the muppets that drive them. Keeping me entertained at work since 2008 :ok:

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2009, 08:43
Not being a regular GAAP user, what is the etiquette for operating? It is absolutely mandatory to listen to ground frequency before starting and or taxiing? Is it mandatory to contact ground when leaving the active runway? What if I'm moving from one hangar to another for example, or over to the fuel bowser?

startingout
7th Jun 2009, 09:15
I have my jepps in front of me but no point hunting for an hour to confirm, but it is just common sense to listen out to ground whenever/wherever you taxi. Without doing so is just bloody stupid as someone might be heading right for you around a blind corner.

YPJT
7th Jun 2009, 09:16
XXX, I think the various GAAPs may differ as to their specific requirements. I remember may moons ago at Jandakot you had to advise "ground" if you were were going to taxi on the designated taxiways but not necessarily within the parking areas. That changed, probably due to staff shortages and you now only monitor ground whilst taxiing and call requesting to cross an active runway or as soon as leaving the rwy on landing. Just so they know you are listening to them, as per the scenario here.

I haven't flown out of Bankstown for a number of years but last time I was there, you still had to make a taxi call with ground.

Regardless, based on the info above, some of the pilots at Bankstown seem to have made absolute muppets of themselves.

As for your question, I can't find a specific reference in AIP that says the radio must be used unless you apply the communications requirements for operation withing a CTR. Someone else can probably explain it better.

Ultralights
7th Jun 2009, 09:22
if flying VFR from bankstown, there is no need to contact ground, but it's required you listen to ground until you change to tower frequency before entering an active runway.

the ATIS usually requests you report on ground frequency before leaving the runup bays if the circuit is busy, and with YHOX closed, almost every weekend you are required to report on ground before taxiing from the runup bay.
when exiting the active runway, there is no need to call ground, but you change to ground freq.
IFR is different of course, you report on ground after startup to request airways clearance.

Arnold E
7th Jun 2009, 09:43
I cant believe that people are actually questioning this, The tower controller has a better veiw of the field than anybody. Is there anbody out there that would ignore the controller because you were being inconvenienced? If there is, please give me your call sign so that I can make sure that I am no were near you at any time.:sad::sad::sad:

SuperStinker
7th Jun 2009, 10:52
Sadly just another day at GAAP

PlankBlender
7th Jun 2009, 12:11
AIP ENR 1.1. 29.8 (GAAP Taxiing):

A continuous listening watch on the SMC frequency must be maintained while taxiing or when conducting ground operations on the manoeuvring areas..

KRUSTY 34
7th Jun 2009, 12:24
[quote]
sadly yes. they replied to the call, yet failed to comprehend what it meant, and continued taxiing.. :ugh:

Seems like the blind leading the blind to me!

KRviator
8th Jun 2009, 07:50
Given that these two aircraft acknolwedged the requirement to stop and shut down, then resumed taxiing without a further start/taxi clearance, where does that leave the crews concerned for wilfully violating what would essentially be an ATC Clearance? :=

On a somewhat happier note, glad to hear the Cherokee crew got out, albeit somewhat painfully. As the old saying goes, if you can walk away, it was a good landing, there's no requirement to be able to use the airplane again.:}

CBAKKER
9th Jun 2009, 11:38
Oh wow I didnt know that there were planes on the ground with no respect. My instructor and I were out at the training area at the time and tracked for 2RN to come inbound when we heard over the radio with this engine failed. And with the TOWER checking if he could maintain high and power. But then my instructor saw something like as if it went through the trees in and around the airport. Then the TOWER check if everybody was ok on board. But we approached 2RN then turned away to give the tower space as there was alot of activity going and what A CHILLING MOMENT it was to hear over the radio that an aircraft went down. But just as my training on that day before the event happened. I had introductions and started to do forced field landings. But it was chilling and with silence we hoped for the best for the aircraft that had problems. We then tracked for CAMDEN and took time out and give YSBK some space and time...
But I am quite unhappy that there were people on the ground not helping the situation and giving the guys some space in the TOWER... :*

FlyCessna
9th Jun 2009, 12:03
das Uber Soldat - Ah, liberties and the muppets that drive them. Keeping me entertained at work since 2008 http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Love your work..... :ok:

SuperStinker
9th Jun 2009, 23:03
[quote] Ah, liberties and the muppets that drive them. Keeping me entertained at work since 2008 http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

spot on das

what is it about liberties? i've never flown one but they are always entertaining to watch. why do the people who choose to fly them have so little skill or is it that they are difficult to fly?