PDA

View Full Version : Operations Manager post holder

Davina777
6th Jun 2009, 20:52
Hey Everyone, can't seem to find out anymore about this from the CAA website, so hoping you knowledgable peeps can help me out?

What are the CAA looking for when considering an application for post holder "ops manager", the website is very vague saying experience and knowledge of ops!

Do you think someone with 1 year work experience, and having started a advanced ops course would make me suitable?

merlinxx
7th Jun 2009, 02:35
Nope, maybe after 10 years full employment in a flying/Flt Ops post

Davina777
7th Jun 2009, 07:15
I should probably have said, the "airline" is only small, 3 employees currently, and 1 king air a/c? does it make any difference?

Celestar
7th Jun 2009, 08:59
It’s still up to the country’s CAA to decide of the content of a postholder’s assessment.
It can vary to a signature on a paper up to a full day examination on the PH’s field and general competencies. No idea for the UK though.

girt big un
7th Jun 2009, 09:11
UK caa
You have a post holder interview with your FOI .
Full knowlege of EUOPS will be required and they will quiz you on all aspects of Sub part Q etc. Good Experiance in Ops management is required !
also they would expect you to go on the accountable managers courses.

good luck

Miles Magister
7th Jun 2009, 09:24
Davina,

It really does depend on your Flight Operations Inspector, mine have always been good sensible chaps if you approach them with the right level of humility and ask them for advice when discussing such issues.

The requirements are contained in Appendix 2 to Ops 1.175 (i) and ACJ OPS 1.175 (i) of the JAA Temporary Guidance Leaflet (TGL) 44 which has replaced the JAR OPS section 2 as the acceptable means of compliance (AMC). TGL 44 is available on the net if you need it, but the relevent part is here;

1. General. Nominated Postholders should, in the normal way, be expected to satisfy the Authority that they possess the appropriate experience and licensing requirements which are listed in paragraphs 2 to 6 below. In particular cases, and exceptionally, the Authority may accept a nomination which does not meet the requirements in full but, in this circumstance, the nominee should be able to demonstrate experience which the Authority will accept as being comparable and also the ability to perform effectively
the functions associated with the post and with the scale of the operation.

2. Nominated postholders should have:
2.1 Practical experience and expertise in the application of aviation safety standards and safe operating practices;
2.2 Comprehensive knowledge of:
a. JAR-OPS and any associated requirements and procedures;
b. The AOC holder's Operations Specifications;
c. The need for, and content of, the relevant parts of the AOC holder's Operations Manual;
2.3 Familiarity with Quality Systems;
2.4 Appropriate management experience in a comparable organisation; and
2.5 Five years relevant work experience of which at least two years should be from the aeronautical industry in an appropriate position.

3. Flight Operations. The nominated postholder or his deputy should hold a valid Flight Crew Licence appropriate to the type of operation conducted under the AOC in accordance with the following:
3.1 If the AOC includes aeroplanes certificated for a minimum crew of 2 pilots - An Airline Transport Pilot's Licence issued or validated by a JAA Member State:
3.2 If the AOC is limited to aeroplanes certificated for a minimum crew of 1 pilot - A Commercial Pilot's Licence, and if appropriate to the operation, an Instrument Rating issued or validated by a JAA Member State.

I am happy to discuss with you if you wish, just PM me.

Regards

MM

Azzy
15th Aug 2010, 21:41
Hi MM & All
What is your interpretation no 3 [AC OPS 1175(i)]: The nominated postholder or his deputy should hold .....
Means that the Post Operations can also be NON PILOT but Deputised with a Qualified Pilot ?
As this IEM is very ambiguous
Thanks