PDA

View Full Version : KLM Flight AMS-JNB Flight Aborted

dangermouse1977
6th Jun 2009, 08:35
Forgive the lack of information, but I thought people on here may like to know.

Had a call from a colleague on a KLM flight from AMS to JNB on Wednesday to say that the flight had been turned around 5hrs in and was being sent back to AMS.

The initial reason given on board was that there was trouble at JNB airport, however a quick call to some of our people who were already at JNB confirmed that to be false.

Upon landing back at AMS the passengers were told that it was, in fact, "a problem with the engines" that lead to the return.

Anybody have anything further on this?

fox niner
6th Jun 2009, 08:51
AMS-JNB is operated using a B777-200. Therefore ETOPS. If there would be a problem with an engine, it is unlikely that it would return to AMS if it is already 5 hrs into the flight. So I would rule that out.
If it has returnedto AMS it is probably because of some status message that would cause trouble if the aircraft lands in JNB; for example the status message FLT CONTROL SYS. usually resettable but sometimes not, and dispatch with this status message is not allowed.

Avman
6th Jun 2009, 10:06
Forgive my ignorance, but does ETOPS apply to the AMS-JNB route?

Some time ago I was on an KLM MD-11, 2.5 hrs into a flight from AMS to YVR, when a tech problem (canīt remember exactly what it was, but something with pneumatics) necessitated our return to AMS. The Captain explained that the problem didnīt actually prevent us from continuing safely to YVR, but that once there the a/c would be AOG until the new part was flown in. Consequently, Ops Control decided to bring the a/c back and substitute it with another. Within 80 mins of landing back at AMS we were airborne again, this time in a B747.

CR2
6th Jun 2009, 12:13
ETOPS? Over land? :confused:

paddy_22002
6th Jun 2009, 12:17
ETOPS? Over land?

Yes >60mins from a suitable airport is an ETOPS operation over land or water, at least thats for my company operating under JAR ops.

Goldfish Jack
6th Jun 2009, 14:01
ETOPS over land - very much so!

Esp when flying over Africa - there are not many suitable airfields avbl at night and those that are, are few and far between.

Over the years we have had several twin engine flts to Europe ex CPT being cancelled due to reasons relating to ETOPS.

I know it seems strange, but when one speaks to the engineers one understands why.

A prob reason for this one going back was a fault which would have resulted in the a/c going AOG at JHB, which KLM eng ops would have decided they could not afford to have the a/c being down for 24 hours or so. Easier to return the a/c to AMS and get it fixed there and back to service with min delay. Not the first time I have heard this happening