PDA

View Full Version : Normandy Flypast

Stitchbitch
6th Jun 2009, 08:26
Some of you maybe intrested in the flypast taking place today, should be on the telly sometime around 14:45 - 15:20. We are providing some fast pointy grey aeroplanes as are the Americans and French. Should be quite a sight... :ok:

Geezers of Nazareth
6th Jun 2009, 08:56
Maybe connected ... 'Batman 1-4' are currently in the air, looking for a tanker. It's way to early for a 15.00-ish flypast, but maybe there is an earlier one planned?

Evalu8ter
6th Jun 2009, 11:07
I suppose that Normandy is actually a relevant place for a Typhoon...wonder if they'll swing over Falaise?

It is so handy having a 100 or so grey pointy aircraft hanging around the place for flypasts and airshows....

kevmusic
6th Jun 2009, 11:42
I suppose that Normandy is actually a relevant place for a Typhoon...wonder if they'll swing over Falaise?
:E

(yeh,yeh, ok, more characters added)

Tankertrashnav
6th Jun 2009, 16:15
Bit off thread, but a few mins after watching the BBMF flypast at Arromanches on TV I have just heard the Master of Ceremonies at the ceremony invite the "English" prime minister to lay a wreath - bet Gordon loved being so described:D

minigundiplomat
6th Jun 2009, 16:31
He's lucky to be referred to as PM at all after the last 48 hours!

mick2088
6th Jun 2009, 17:32
Just slightly off topic, but while watching the ceremony, I noticed a few veterans wearing white berets. Who did they serve with? My mother's father was in the Navy during WW2 and she keeps nagging me to find out.

Stitchbitch
6th Jun 2009, 17:46
It is so handy having a 100 or so grey pointy aircraft hanging around the place for flypasts and airshows....

If you liked that one, you'll love the Queens Birthday 9 ship flypast then?! :}

TEEEJ
6th Jun 2009, 18:03
Mick,

They might have been members of the Arctic Convoy Veterans?

Arctic veterans honoured for WW2 efforts | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-409876/Arctic-veterans-honoured-WW2-efforts.html)

Arctic convoy veterans honoured - Royal Navy History (http://www.royal-navy.org/lib/index.php?title=Arctic_convoy_veterans_honoured)

TJ

CirrusF
6th Jun 2009, 18:10
I noticed a few veterans wearing white berets. Who did they serve with?

I only saw French TV which did not show the footage you mention, but possibly they may have been Artist's Rifles who wore white berets for a while (until they became a nice grubby beige :)).

SirPercyWare-Armitag
6th Jun 2009, 18:13
Earlier in the day, President Obama made references to the Royal Air Corps......................

petoprobe
6th Jun 2009, 18:15
Oh give me strength

Mick Strigg
6th Jun 2009, 18:26
It was good to see the Prince of Wales wearing his Fleet Air Arm tie for the occasion; after all, it is the Fly Navy 100 year as well!

airborne_artist
6th Jun 2009, 18:45
possibly they may have been Artist's Rifles who wore white berets for a while (until they became a nice grubby beige

Nothing grubby about beige - best colour for a beret IMHO....

Teej is right, they were Arctic berets, as some of the RN lads had done Arctic service before training for Overlord. The AR was an OCTU in the second war, I think, and not a fighting unit, so it's unlikely they'd have got to Normandy in an AR beret, I'm pretty sure.

mick2088
6th Jun 2009, 19:53
Mick,

They might have been members of the Arctic Convoy Veterans?

TJ

That looks like it. Cheers TJ!

Laarbruch72
6th Jun 2009, 21:11
They could also have been RAF Police Normandy veterans. They are known to wear white berets in preference to the blue, and are usually recognised by the RAF capbadge and police branch blazer badge. They were ashore on D Day amongst the first and second waves in order to marshall troops to the proper RVs amongst the mayhem. Some lost their lives whilst doing so. (So it's not the place for the usual trash talk before any starts).

I also agree that it's just as likely they were Arctic Convoy veterans.

John Eacott
7th Jun 2009, 01:04
It was good to see the Prince of Wales wearing his Fleet Air Arm tie for the occasion

I watched the ceremony live on Sky (midnight our time!), and was delighted to see the zig-zag tie ;)

Although the PM rather spoiled the show with his incessant fiddling with his hair: what is it with that man, and WTF happened that everyone but HRH gave a speech? :rolleyes:

Vim_Fuego
7th Jun 2009, 07:03
What made for uncomfortable TV was the boo's and groans when Brown got up to speak. I don't like the guy but I felt an ounce of sympathy for him as he sort of shouted through it and rushed through the speech. He also looked fairly uncomfortable on the stage with other world leaders...

Great to see the vets out in ever diminishing strength...Most of them have more get up and go in them than most I come into contact with currently serving!

1.3VStall
7th Jun 2009, 08:39
Wasn't it nice to see our PM, hands in pockets, getting booed by some vets? Maybe it'll catch on!

Climebear
7th Jun 2009, 10:05
V-F

Great to see the vets out in ever diminishing strength...Most of them have more get up and go in them than most I come into contact with currently serving!

If that's a fishing expedition I'll bite.

Go and walk around Helmand and you'll see plenty of the currently serving demonstrating get up and go taking the fight to the Taliban.

The 'currently serving' are doing quite well thank you - they may not think or act the same way as their predecessors but they are producing the goods and doing it well (even at home when they don't have the luxuries of the manpower, spares, or money enjoyed by many a cold war warrior (myself included)).

Vim_Fuego
7th Jun 2009, 10:35
Untwist your undies C-B...You have no idea who I have daily contact with!

Climebear
7th Jun 2009, 11:18
straight back at you with there V-F

I have the privilege to work with some superb members of the 'currently serving' and get p***ed off when people take cheap shots from the 'not as good as in my day' school.

Vim_Fuego
7th Jun 2009, 12:22
C-B...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I am currently serving, flying and getting around the world thanks.

You need to stop being so 'precious' :=

Climebear
7th Jun 2009, 14:07
V-F

Why, if you're currently serving, do you find it worthwhile to moan about your colleagues?

You must be great at CRM.

Perhaps you should stop being so cynical and recognize that you're a team player.

Tankertrashnav
7th Jun 2009, 15:26
If anyone is still interested in the white beret guys, who are Arctic Convoy veterans as has been pointed out, you may have noticed them wearing a pole star symbol on their Atantic Star ribbon. This was approved last year or the year before for issue to those who served on those convoys, and is worn only when medals are worn (ie there is no symbol for when ribbons alone are worn). Not a lot, and rather late, but better than nothing.

Vim_Fuego
7th Jun 2009, 15:38
C-B.

And of all the people involved in the armed forces and especially the RAF you are the best...If you have left I don't know how we are coping without you.

Now quit dragging this thread off topic...If you are still pre-menstrual take it to PM.