PDA

View Full Version : horizon international flight academy INFO NEEDED???

mshehada
5th Jun 2009, 19:45
Hi,

I am planning to start my training at Horzion flight academy, i need more helpful information, their website is very vauge, i tired calling them, it was pretty hard to get hold of them, i sent them an email they replyed to me with an application form , and security clearance form, i dont know about the accomidations, difference between modular and integrated courses, and weather i can find a job after im done.... any students at this academy??? please help, thanks in advance:ok:,

mshehada

Dear ****** Shehada,

Thank you for contacting us and I hope this email finds you well. Following your inquiry, please find enclosed the information requested.
The document includes information on the course, the syllabus, the pre-entry requirements and the structure of the course.
Additional to this course, you can also get a Crew Resource Management Course to enhance your qualifications.

To apply, kindly return to us:
o The horizon academy registration form (attached in this email)
o The security clearance form (attached in this email)
o UAE GCAA Medical Class 1 or 2 (you can choose a clinic from the list attached)
o Passport copy
o 6 passport size photographs
o 10% registration fees

The cost of accommodation is US$ 1,360 per month subject to availability.
Should you need more information or clarifications, please feel free to contact us.
We hope to see you soon and have you flying with us.

Regards,

Catherine Makau
Marketing Assistant
HorizonInternationalFlightAcademyTel: +971 3 7855550
Fax: +971 3 7855599
P.O. Box. 59059
Al-Ain - U.A.EEmail: [email protected] ([email protected])
URL: http://www.horizonuae.ae (http://www.horizonuae.ae/)

OMDB-PiLoT
5th Jun 2009, 20:29
DO NOT GO there for your training unless you are an Etihad cadet! They charge double of what a normal flying school should charge. It's a rip-off. They never attend phone calls, the admin never gives a proper answer and you will just end up wasting a LOT of money at the end.

Try other schools or better, go do your flight training outside middle-east! Good luck.

Bredrin
5th Jun 2009, 21:04
OMDB is spot on, in a country with no import duties and cheap gas why is Horizon probably the most expensive school in the world? Don't know but, spend your money elsewhere. RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.F.L.Y
5th Jun 2009, 21:28
Horizon is not expensive because of fuel but because of the costs of the expats instructors and because of glass cockpit cessnas. In Europe instruction is initially done on basic/cheap aircrafts with cheap instructors. At horizon they probably get 2 to 3 times what instructors usually gets in Europe. On top of that it's better to get a JAA licence which you'll be able to convert in GCAA than a GCAA one which you can't convert...

Mike.Park
5th Jun 2009, 21:30
Avoid flight schools in the Middle East if your thinking of paying for your own training. Most of the FTOs are brand new, or are fledgling companies with loads of teething problems and politics at play.

Airspace in the UAE is riddled with no fly zones and restrictions, there's few airfields, safety culture is laxed, little regulatory oversight from GCAA and generally speaking, standards are poor when you compared to FTOs in countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Europe etc.

With the current economic climate, you'll get more for your money outside the UAE.

My two cents.

Bredrin
6th Jun 2009, 17:04
S.F.L.Y. so, does that mean that airlines should be charging more in the UAE because of all the highly paid expats working here. Horizon is all about GREED!!! No salaries could make the hourly rate for a 172 so high plus, the same aircraft in the USA with Glass Cockpit is cheaper....and that includes state, federal and income taxes.

mshehada
6th Jun 2009, 19:32
hi,

I need some more info please, anyone??

thanks

SilveR5
7th Jun 2009, 13:31
Hey mshehada

I think these are the details you are looking for:

Integrated f-ATPL Breakdown/Syllabus of the Course

- Ground School : 750 hours
- Flight School : 205 Hours (Minimum)
- Duration of the Course : 69 weeks (Minimum)

Requirements
1. Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
2. High School Grade 12 or equivalent and demonstrate a good understanding in Mathematics and Physics.
3. Meet the UAE GCAA Class One medical standard (provided by medical doctors certified in aviation).
4. Proficiency in English is expected - an ICAO Aviation English Level 3 (certificate from a UAE GCAA Approved center) before commencing the course.
5. Before license application a student must be at ICAO level 4.
6. Security clearance.
When registering, an application form has to be filled as well as a security clearance form for the airport.

Credit for previous experience:
In the case of a PPL (A) holder, 50% of the aircraft hours flown by the entrant prior to the course may be credited towards the required flight up to a credit of 40 hours flying experience or 45 hours if an aeroplane night flying qualification has been obtained, of which up to 20 hours may be dual instruction.

Cost of the course Frozen ATPL(A) $ 117,875/- or AED 433,780/-
The cost includes the training manuals and books, the exam fees and the flying hours mentioned in the syllabus. Additional tuition will be charged at the posted aircraft rates at the time of training. Prices may be subject to change without prior notification. Confirmation of course booking will be made on receipt of the registration fee.

Payment Schedule
10% Registration Fee US$ 11,790/- or AED 43,378/-
15% After Security clearance and Medical Test US $ 17,680/- or AED 65,067/-
25% On completion of 30 Hours of Flying US $ 29,470/- or AED 108,445/-
25% On completion of 60 Hours of Flying US $ 29,470/- or AED 108,445/-
25% On completion of 90 Hours of Flying US $ 29,470/- or AED 108,445/-

Refund Policy
1. In the event that the applicant decides to cancel registration, there will be no refund of the registration fee.
2. In the event that the application is unsuccessful either due to failure of the medical test or security clearance, the registration fee will be refunded less a 20% deduction for the administration process.
3. The individual needs to pay extra fees in case of any additional flying hours or resit of exams.
4. If the individual is terminated by the training committee, a refund shall be made for the remaining phases of training but not the current phase.
5. If the student withdraws then no refunds are applicable.

Structure of the Frozen ATPL (A) Program
The ATPL course is a full time training program, consisting of Computer Based Training and Classroom Training. The aim of the ground school is to impart sufficient knowledge to the students to pass the GCAA ATPL (A) examination.
The theoretical knowledge syllabus of the ATPL(A) Integrated course covers the following learning topics:
- Principles of Flight
- Communications
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Air Law
- Human Performance
- Operational Procedures
- Navigation
- Meteorology
- Flight Planning and Performance

Scheduled start dates for Frozen ATPL
The next courses for 2009 are:
9th May, 14th June, 25th July, 06th September, 18th October and 29th November.

My Advice: if you have that kind of money, never do it at Horizon. Go to JAA country and have the JAA/EASA licence. For the same cash, you might be able to cover your A320/737 Type rating too!

Good luck

mshehada
7th Jun 2009, 14:06
hi silver5, thats great to know, are you a student or an instructor? well lets say i finish from Horizon, whats the type rating? could i do it somewhere else after im done with the atpl???

thanks

SilveR5
8th Jun 2009, 21:45
It seems that you haven't done your homework to know the job you are up to! Here is a link below that you can start with. There are some useful articles. You can find info to better know the training process, licence types and many other things that you should know of before you make your way.

How to Become a Pilot (Europe/UK - JAA) (http://www.bestaviation.net/art_how_to_become_a_pilot_jaa.asp)

Cheers

Mike.Park
9th Jun 2009, 10:33
Mshehda,

There's a great publication that is produced by the GAPAN called 'So You Want To Be A Pilot?'

It's their latest version for the year 2009.

It's a great guide and I suggest you download the PDF [here] (http://www.gapan.org/ruth-documents/study-papers/So%20you%20want%20to%20be%20a%20pilot%202009.pdf) - Right click, Save As. It's 2.4 MB

"This Document is intended to be a general introduction to the world of flying aeroplanes. It is a guide on how to embark on a flying career for those who want to become a pilot.

The choice is one of two: Military Aviation or flying as a Civilian pilot.

This document addresses both. It offers readers information and advice on how to enter both worlds as a pilot, but alternative options are discussed for those who cannot look to piloting for whatever reason, but would like to get airborne as aircrew in some form or other.

Regads,

Mike