PDA

View Full Version : BA Concorde Late Landing LBA Video

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Jun 2009, 02:26
Just watched a Youtube video of Concorde making a 'Very' late landing onto R32 at LBA.

Unbelievable how the crew managed to land just past the centrefix of the runway and then slam the brakes on stopping while turning into the R14 loop!!

Not surprised the 8 tyres blew due to the friction.

I think I had left the airport around a few hours before the sat evening landing, So I missed it!!

Remember seeing her parked up the following day being repaired.

Video is by a 'Richard Whiteley' - Famous Yorkshire name!!

Groundloop
5th Jun 2009, 08:49
The "centrefix" of a runway is a waypoint defined by an aircraft's onboard FMC but is typically 8 - 10 miles out on the final approach.

Would have been very interesting for Concorde to land there, a bit more than just tyres would have burst!:ok:

Evanelpus
5th Jun 2009, 09:18
You could have provided us with a link!

bean
5th Jun 2009, 10:25
I found it

YouTube - Concorde late 32 landing at Leeds/Bradford Airport (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgmlLxS-EHc)

No burst tyres; poor quality video; pretty pointless thread.

Mike7777777
5th Jun 2009, 20:05
There's an airport in Yorkshire?

SFCC
5th Jun 2009, 20:13
Looked pretty OK to me.
BYAI i strongly advise you to go do your spotting nonsense where it will be appreciated

ZH875
5th Jun 2009, 20:51
I found it

YouTube - Concorde late 32 landing at Leeds/Bradford Airport (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgmlLxS-EHc)

No burst tyres

Have a look at 39 seconds, sounds like thrust reversers kick in, then tyres blow on Port side followed quickly by Stbd tyres, two tell tale pops and puffs of smoke.

chiglet
5th Jun 2009, 22:09
Have a look at 39 seconds, sounds like thrust reversers kick in, then tyres blow on Port side followed quickly by Stbd tyres, two tell tale pops and puffs of smoke

Sorry to pee on your parade, but I think that the "puff of smoke" is in fact the nosewheel contacting the runway....then it goes all blurry for a bit. No multiple tyre blowouts that I can see....but I have been known to get it wrong before.....:hmm:

Ballymoss
5th Jun 2009, 22:22
watpiktch....

don't forget to sign off chiglet me old.....

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

Rainboe
5th Jun 2009, 23:10
What nonsense you spotters sometimes spout! The '2 tyres on the left bursting' is the smoke from the touchdown of the nosewheels. The 'tyres on the right' smoke is the smoke from the nosewheel touchdown passing between the cameraman and the right wheels- it is NOT smoke from the right wheels. I'm not surprised he used reverse thrust- I would have on that horrid little runway with the bizarre slope that, incidently, it seems to me he landed on in the right place- just after the piano keys! Why, if he blew all these tyres and had engine trouble, did he turn off into the loop (and I think it was not even at the end entrance), and then calmly taxi back to the terminal? With many 'blown' tyres? What are you on?

You people must stop this nonsensical exaggeration. Have you really been telling each other this nonsense all these years? A ghastly quality video, obscured by someone's head, of an ordinary looking Concorde landing followed by a taxi back in and park overnight. Had he landed halfway, full of people, he wouldn't have stopped. I could hardly get a fully loaded 737 to stop at that miserable excuse of an airport sometimes! You could have politely asked and got an explanation rather than trot out this garbage.

One wonders why they bothered sending one up there to that dreadful short runway if the local spotters are going to make up such libelous stupidity!

'Richard Whitely'- give up photography. Try knitting instead. Your hands shake well enough!