PDA

View Full Version : Gaining a class 1 - Leukemia

funkyt111
5th Jun 2009, 00:36
Hey guys,

Im new to this forum. Didnt know it existed but hopefully i can gain some valuable advice.
Im a 21 year old male hoping to become an airline pilot in the near future and train at OAT, CTC, Cabair or FTE. Ive been researching for the past 2-3 years etc etc and its my dream to attend one of these schools and complete an integrated course, however. I have one major concern...

When i was 19 years old I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Treatment has gone very well as planned and there has been no relapses of any kind. I will continue on light treatment for another year and then im completly finished(hopefully). I wrote to the JAA about 1 year ago (with a medical report from my consultant) asking whether I would be able to gain a JAR CLASS 1 MEDICAL certificate on completion of treatment and they basically said it was hard to answer and that I should get my consulsant to send a more detailed report etc once i have finished treatment and they could answer me better then.

However this answer does not really help me as im gaining some extra A levels in maths in physics in order to better my chances of being accepted into one of the schools mentioned above but this could prove to be a waste of time if the chances of me becoming an airline pilot are little to none.

Does anyone know of anyone who has had a similar condition to myself who has then later gained a CLASS 1 certificate? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

I believe currently i extremely healthy and fit. I run 5km 3 times per week without any trouble at all and im in the shape of my life :)

RJC
5th Jun 2009, 14:37
I get all sorts of stuff via e-mail from the CAA, which is handy. One at the end of May was to do with medical stuff. In it was a link to a document containing guidance on a load of medical matters.

Take a peek in this...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1859/JARGuidanceV3-05.pdf

...a search in there got me to page 85.

I will state I have no idea what any of it means, but perhaps you will? It may be of some help to you?

funkyt111
5th Jun 2009, 15:37
Thanx a bundle RJC!! Much appreciated. It says...

Quote.."(e) Applicants with acute
leukaemia shall be
assessed as unfit. After
established remission,
applicants may be
assessed as fit by the
AMS."

Well I have been in remission for over 2 years now but im still on treatment so surely this means i will be unable to gain a class 1 still?

"Male Hb
Investigation required if < 12.0.
TU if < 11.5."

I know my haemoglobin levels are above 13 so this shouldnt be a problem either. But i still find it hard to believe that I would be considered for a class 1 whilst still under treatment. Maybe im wrong because the treatment does not ever make me feel ill or tired etc so? :S

Whirlybird
7th Jun 2009, 09:02
Greetings.

I'm really not an expert on this, but I do know a lot of pilots. One young man who I knew some years ago had had cancer and been free of it and off medication for several years. He eventually got a Class 2 medical, but it took several months and a lot of hassle. Another pilot I know of has recovered completely from breast cancer, but the CAA refuse to return her Class 2 medical while she's on any medication for it at all!

That seems to suggest to me you have a struggle on your hands here! But if you're prepared to fight, and live anywhere, don't give up yet. The FAA have far less stringent requirments; you could maybe train and work there. I don't know about Australia and New Zealand, but it could be worth a try. Or you could wait a few years till you're off medication, get some alternative qualifications in case it doesn't work out, then try again in the UK....but I know that being told to wait is really hard for a 21 year old!

However, we have several AMEs and other doctors who read this forum, so wait and see if you get a more informed answer than I can give you...and don't give up hope just yet!

Pace
7th Jun 2009, 10:16
WhirlyBird

Dont think this is quite correct as I have a very good friend who had cancer.He had chemo and a number of ops and was very ill for some time. He went back to flying a couple of years after the cancer for an AOC up north on turboprops and then moved to a large AOC on B Jets. He has just been made redundant but due to the recession not the Big C.
No idea on details of his illness or any restrictions on his licence. He was a ATP before the Cancer.

Pace

funkyt111
7th Jun 2009, 13:16
Hmmmmmm I can only guess that they assess everyone on individual basis. I know certain factors when having leukemia would completly rule out any chance of me being a pilot but luckily, none of these factors affect me.
Whirlypirly there are a lot of cancers out there that have much different prognosis's, so im not surprised that some cancers would be ultimately disqualifying from a class 1 because the chances of relapse are high. However childhood/adolecsent acute lymphoblastic leukamia is one of the most curable cancers so i suppose this is why i may be considered...

My prognosis from day 1 has been very good due to blood counts etc and catching the leukemia early. I suppose I can only wait and see if im lucky enough for some AME's and doctors to read this forum and advise.

Thanx for the responses though guys, much appreciated :)

pulse1
7th Jun 2009, 14:51
I only know something about chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML)and a Class 2 medical but, in all cases, the key is a good report from the consultant to the CAA at Gatwick. They will not do anything without that.

As far as continuing medication is concerned, it is not necessarily a problem. CML can currently only be cured by bone marrow transplant but there are some amazing drugs which inhibit it. I know that the CAA are happy to allow CML sufferers Class 2 medicals as long as they have been assured that a good response to medication is maintained. I am not sure that this applies to a Class 1 medical though.

I hope that it all works out for you. p1

funkyt111
8th Jun 2009, 14:57
Thanx a bunch pulse.

Yeah I hear CML can be controlled very well under new drugs.
I think i shall just wait till i finish treatment next april and then apply with a detailed positive report from my consultant.

Thanx for all the advice folks.

ERETHERE
14th Jun 2009, 21:31
Hi,

A friend of mine had Lymphoma (excuse spelling) during his ATPL training and had to stop to have treatment. I believe he had chemo. After so many years he returned back to training and completed his licences. The only drawback now is that as he had chemo which apparently can affect the cardio system, he has to have a report from a cardiologist with every Class One medical.

Other than that he is allowed to fly like the next pilot.

funkyt111
15th Jun 2009, 10:25
Thankyou ERETHERE.

This information is very reassuring!! :D

Although I do know that the prognosis of lymphoma is very good so maybe it is a lot easier for lymphoma patients to get a class 1.

However Acute Lymphoblastic leukemia also has a good prognosis for children and adolescents so im confident in being able to gain a class 1 :)