PDA

View Full Version : United Airlines, New Aircraft Order

Apple Tree Yard
4th Jun 2009, 17:23
United announced today that they are negotiating with Airbus and Boeing for up to 200 new aircraft. This will eventually increase capacity (and new hires) by 30%. United says that their forecast improvement in yield (..haven't they been listening to TT???) and traffic numbers justifies a large order. Lots of new commands in the next 15 years. No, I much prefer to live in HK and see what new contract debacle the 3rd floor will come up with next...wouldn't you?:ok:

boocs
4th Jun 2009, 17:44
This is the same airline that has just emerged from bankruptcy..... how many times???

b.

Apple Tree Yard
4th Jun 2009, 17:50
....ane I suppose your career prospects are better here in HK...you know, with our cast iron contract, firm seniority guarantees, fair integration mehods....yes, all of that. I can see why you wouldn't consider going anywhere else....Boocs..meet Tony...Tony...meet Boocs....you guys will get along famously.:ok:

boocs
4th Jun 2009, 17:53
I'm sure we are both only too well aware, nothing is guaranteed here in HKG.

(Dips hat which we no longer wear)
b.

Apple Tree Yard
4th Jun 2009, 20:16
..other than serious pollution...local animosity....management incompetence.....screwball career.... you're right, there are no guarantees :ok:

treboryelk
5th Jun 2009, 03:06
you make it sound as if someone is forcing you to put up with all of this!

Apple Tree Yard
5th Jun 2009, 03:34
No, you utter moron, no one forces me to put up with it, I do it for the MONEY. Why do you do it...for the love of HK and our fine management? If the money isn't here, then neither will I be. (....I sometimes wonder where we get some of these rocket scientists from...) :ugh:

FOCX
5th Jun 2009, 04:50
Another location question I feel is appropriate.

ATY, I think from Treboryelk's location he came from the ABC in Anchorage.:eek:

Air Profit
5th Jun 2009, 13:10
I don't think Treboryelk would recognise a 'bush' it it hit him in the face... :)

Air Profit
10th Jun 2009, 13:17
United is stating that their numbers are stabilised, and expect increasing revenues and profits going forward. Hmmm, haven't they been briefed by TT...??

8driver
11th Jun 2009, 05:24
And how many United guys came to Cathay on furlough from United and then went back only to be furloughed again? That's how they do it back home in the States, hire until its time to furlough, keep two weeks of operating revenue on hand. Fare wars? Give those seats away! And what exactly is the point of just barely treading water and rarely making a profit? Executive salaries and golden parachutes?

I will say that they have seemed to learn just a bit from the past several years. Big cut backs in capacity and try to turn a profit on high yield routes rather than a full airplane "at any cost". I'll believe United's forecast when its proven true, and wouldn't count on them not reverting to their old ways.

treboryelk
11th Jun 2009, 11:31
moron eh, apple tree yard. perhaps it is more moronic spending your only chance at life, living where you dont want to live....just for a little extra cash. sure you will look back on the golden years with glee...stroking those bank statements.

as much as the ABC is a fine distraction, my life is firmly placed in hong kong. and if i didnt want to be here, i wouldnt be. but then again i perhaps have a life that is not centred on pprune.