PDA

View Full Version : Sim sessions for turbulence

silverelise
4th Jun 2009, 10:40
Having followed the AF accident thread with interest, it got me wondering; do ATPL's have sim sessions (either training or check ups) which involve simulated turbulence? If so how violent an environment can the sims create?

I've experienced a few encounters with wind shear and turbulence on my PPL lessons and it's tricky doing things like changing channels on the radio, but I've not experienced anything like the violent kind of CAT that sends the dinner trolly into the ceiling and wondered what training is done to simulate trying to perform certain functions whilst being buffetted around.

Kempus
4th Jun 2009, 20:48
Our last sim session did include tubulence penetration. As mentioned You cant really replicate falling 8000ft and things hitting the roof but can certainly replicated how difficult it is to read the instruments when getting bounced around all over the place. It also showed us what auopilot modes to use to try and ride it out as well as what to expect like intermittant stick shaker and clacker. Was a good session tho!

kempus