PDA

View Full Version : Air Trooping - Germany

Mister-T
4th Jun 2009, 10:39
Cannot access Defence Intranet at the moment and just wanted to know if Air Trooping to Germany is done via charter or with RAF?

Need to get to Germany and thought the old Indulgence scheme might be worth a go.

airborne_artist
4th Jun 2009, 11:19
It's not been done by the RAF in a very, very long time. Used to be out of Luton on Monarch.

Far easier to use a LoCo - use skyscanner.net to compare prices.

Mister-T
4th Jun 2009, 11:37
Thanks AA, I remember Gutersloh to Luton on Britannia Airways all those years ago. I'm just intrigued as to how its operated today. I have got some good prices already but thought it worth a try.

Mr C Hinecap
4th Jun 2009, 13:09
Your collective memories are long - Airbridge House at Stanbridge was demolished over 10 years ago! There are a lot less people in Germany now and a they are a lot more mobile than they ever were. Seats are taken up on commercial flights - nice and simple.

Wensleydale
4th Jun 2009, 14:12
Last time I flew out to Germany was 5-6 years ago. All flights routed through Schipol (aviation equivalent of Victoria Bus Station).

MT to Humberside. 2 hours on ground at Humberside.
Land at Schipol. 6 Hours on the ground.
Land Maastrict. Pick up hire car for drive to destination. The whole process took an entire day.

The quick route was overnight on North Sea Ferries - Leave for Hull after work. Depart Hull at about 1900. Dock at 0800 in Rotterdam: you are in the clutch by Lunchtime. Meeting in the afternoon and finished by evening.

Next day morning - wash-up meetings (and visit shops). Have lunch on Base and back on overnight ferry to Hull. Ferry docks at about 0800.

Back to Work in UK at 0930.

Nomorefreetime
4th Jun 2009, 16:05
Troopers still fly to GMY. I think only 1 or 2 dedicated frames a week, the rest are block bookings of seats. JSP800 is the place to look. It used to be AB not mil.

higthepig
4th Jun 2009, 18:52
Our Trooper flights (for those at JHQ and JFCB) are Dusseldorf-Stansted with Air Berlin, comes with a free hard bread sandwich! Not sure about indulging on it though.

skippedonce
5th Jun 2009, 08:10
HTP,

Is the Air Berlin Stansted-DUS flight 'official'? I was told by the admin staff that the only trooper was Birmingham-Paderborn/Hannover, meaning a couple of hours drive on each end.

SO

Mr C Hinecap
5th Jun 2009, 09:38
skipp - speak to your local friendly Movers - they will have a better idea. I flew the Stanstead route 2 yrs ago and it was certainly official then.

Mighty Quercus
5th Jun 2009, 18:13
The Stansted route is a part charter with AB so no chance of indulgence. But the MOD operates a full charter from BHX to PAD/FMO and HAJ again through AB 3 days a week. This does offer indulgence, applications can be made to DPRC London, your HR staff will have the numbers etc or check JSP800.

Mister-T
6th Jun 2009, 05:15
Thanks a lot MQ, that would suit me very well.