PDA

View Full Version : Russian Aircraft Rudder Pedals...

Helicopterfixerman
4th Jun 2009, 06:19
A discussion in the crew room centres around someone seeming to remember that on russian aircraft the rudder pedals work the opposite way to western aircraft, i.e. push left pedal forward to go right, rather like bicycle handlebars.

Can't find any reference to this on-line, can someone in the know confirm or deny?

Many thanks.

Jofm5
4th Jun 2009, 06:31
Only difference between a russian bike and an english bike is the brake for the rear is on the opposite side - as per the rest of the EU countries outside the uk.

As for planes - I am no pilot but I dont think it will be any different to the rest of the EU but open that to the more informed.

Helicopterfixerman
4th Jun 2009, 06:38
Well I'm not convinced myself, but found it interesting if it is true........

WindSheer
4th Jun 2009, 13:17
Given that a lot of russian airlines now use western models, that would be a near impossible transision for russian pilots that have been flying all their career's 'the other way round'.
Can't see it myself.

xolodenko
4th Jun 2009, 13:28
This is just not possible, at least on commercial airliners.
We do have differences in ADI presentation (ground-to-airplane as opposed to your airplane-to-ground, on some older birds like Ilyushin 62) but no such thing about rudder pedals.

Helicopterfixerman
4th Jun 2009, 15:08
I didn't think so.........

Helicopterfixerman
4th Jun 2009, 16:30
Have since found out that this applies to helicopters only, at least Mil Mi-8 in any case.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Stuck_in_an_ATR
4th Jun 2009, 17:16
Having flown some russian a/c (okay, not airliners, but they wouldn't be different) I can say with 100% certainity - NO, the pedals work exactly the same. The only thing that works opposite is the Attitude indicator (fixed horizon, moving a/c) and some types of gyro compass - fixed (but adjustable by pilot) card and moving airplane symbol. This gives enough trouble, so adding opposite rudder to that would be an overkill :}

xolodenko
4th Jun 2009, 17:24
This gives enough trouble, so adding opposite rudder to that would be an overkill

Stuck_in_an_ATR, and trouble it gave. See the thread on Boeing 737 down in Perm, Russia....

OutOfRunWay
8th Jun 2009, 12:38
On aircraft - I would say definately No. Never done it myself, but know people who are/were certified on IL62, AN-2, IL-86, TU-154 and IL-96. And they said there is no difference in the flight controls, only in indications. They also told me stories about the arcane art of using the Soviet-style INS systems.

Dont know any helicopter pilots, but it would seem very strange to me. Other helicopters react just like a fixed-wing, it would seem illogical to me that Soviet designs were different here.

regards

Wing Root
8th Jun 2009, 14:11
My guess is the original poster or his source is getting confused between the way the pedals work and the pedal input required to counter torque. Russian Propellers and Rotors in general spin the other way and so pedal inputs with an increase in power or torque are going to be the opposite of the western counterparts.

Cornish Jack
8th Jun 2009, 14:47
Re. Russian helicopters, the yaw pedals operate same like other helos, i.e. left pedal to push nose to the left, right pedal to push nose to the right, Differences will arise ( as they do with American versus European manufacturers) due to main rotor rotation direction - anti-torque inputs relating to power changes. On lift-off in a Whirlwind/Seaking balance power with LEFT pedal, in a Puma/Gazelle balance with RIGHT pedal. However, the Russian Mil 4 had (at least) one peculiarity - throttle movement. The twist grip on the Mil 4 rotated in the opposite sense to its UK counterpart, the Whirlwind. To increase power on the WW, the grip was rotated clockwise (viewed from the front of the collective) the Mil anti-clockwise. This lead to at least one unintended descent to terrafirma from a low hover with the initiation of 'computer-out' engine operation!!:eek: The pupil instructor (foreign national) had previously operated the Mil and 'reverted to type'.:=

GBV
9th Jun 2009, 05:50
On Russian airplanes the pedals work same way as western ones. On small airplanes, like AN2 or YAK18, the only diference is that you don't brake the airplane using the pedals, but using your hand, like a bicycle.

swish266
10th Jun 2009, 03:45
all Russian a/c have conventional flight controls. The Tu-154 is the first one (1974) to receive Western certification. I flew Yak-40, An-24, Tu-134, Tu-154.

Capt Pit Bull
10th Jun 2009, 08:37
I have to admit, when I started in this game, to being very confused by rudder operation.

Having been briefed that the flying controls function in the 'natural sense' it was then somewhat disconcerting to discover that the rudder pedals actually do the exact opposite.

pb

Dan Winterland
10th Jun 2009, 10:56
French throttles used to work the other way prior to WW2. Push for less power, pull for more. IIRC, the RAF aquired some Curtiss Hawks form the ADLA after they surrendered. The throttles had to be re-engineered.

Rainboe
10th Jun 2009, 12:04
What I hate about aviation is all the acronyms are now getting out of control!
ADLA
American Drum Line Association
Animal Defence League of Arizona
African Distance Learning Association
Above Denver Lodging Association
AL Defence Lawyers Association

er....that's it! Which one operated Curtiss Hawks?

WAFP (what a palaver!)

Dan Winterland
10th Jun 2009, 14:04
It was the Animal Defence league of Arizona of course.

Er, no sorry - I meant the Armee De L'Air. (The French Air Force).

punkalouver
11th Jun 2009, 02:49
French throttles used to work the other way prior to WW2. Push for less power, pull for more. IIRC, the RAF aquired some Curtiss Hawks form the ADLA after they surrendered. The throttles had to be re-engineered.

Same experience with the RCAF taking on North American Yales redirected after the fall of France. Throttles re-engineered. Not sure what the Germans did with their captured French Yales.

Heard the Italians also used to have the backward throttle system.

Metro man
11th Jun 2009, 09:28
Heard the Italians also used to have the backward throttle system.

And the backward gear system on their tanks, one foward gear and four reverse.:E

deltayankee
11th Jun 2009, 21:11
AFAIK the only flying machines that have wrong way "rudder" pedals (actually only used for nose wheel steering) are those contraptions where a hang glider is attached to a sort of lawn mower with a propeller at the back.

bflyer
12th Jun 2009, 13:21
Hi

I've flown the TU 154M for approximately a year and a half, the rudder, and in fact all the controls worked the normal way