PDA

View Full Version : D Day.

alC
3rd Jun 2009, 19:11
I did a Google search for D Day diaries. Here is an extract from one of the many stories.

My regiment, the 26th, was not due to land until the afternoon, a situation we greatly appreciated. Late in the morning, about 1100 hours, we saw a flight of B-24 bombers overhead, returning to England. Suddenly, a German fighter plane appeared out of the sky and shot down one of our aircraft. Immediately, one of our B-24’s peeled off, went after the German plane and shot it down. Every soldier and sailor in the whole convoy seemed to stand up and cheer as in a football stadium.
The Mountain Enterprise: D-Day Diary: The Landing at Normandy (http://www.mountainenterprise.com/atf.php?sid=3016)

Does anyone else wonder how they would have conducted themselves on June 6th 1944 ?

ICT_SLB
4th Jun 2009, 04:19
My father was due to land in his REME AVRE on D Day + 1 so he spent D day swimming in the Channel. He credits his survival to the US Navy Chief of the LCT who saw that many vehicles were being dropped into too deep water & manouvered into the shallows at considerable risk to himself.