PDA

View Full Version : Broken C210

Alice Kiwican
3rd Jun 2009, 09:17
Interesting conversation on BNE CTR today anyone know what happened to the C210 at Horn? A Sunnies Dash asked BNE if they had heard anything about it. Apparently a C210 is sitting on it's belly on the side of the main rwy 08 I think.

ZEEBEE
3rd Jun 2009, 10:11
Apparently a survey aircraft operated by GPX.

It's commonplace for Geo operators to pull the hyd pump motor cct breaker to prevent the intermittent gear pump actuations.

Possibly forgotten to re-enable, :{ but someone else might know better.

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Jun 2009, 10:20
We were doing some survey out of YCKN last week and the Hire Car guy asked us about it on Thursday arvo.

Surprised it's taken nearly a week to turn up here!:confused:

Jabawocky
3rd Jun 2009, 10:26
and pulling said breaker also gives you three greens??? :ugh:

DOH!

ContactMeNow
3rd Jun 2009, 11:02
One green in a C210 :8

1 week to make PPRUNE, must be a record!

Hope all is well.

KWW?

Flopt
3rd Jun 2009, 11:49
Wot he said....

You've spent too much time in the FTDK, Jab!

Flopt :=

PyroTek
3rd Jun 2009, 13:49
I remember reading an article explaining the inner workings of the gear, and that the motor does infact tend to pump every 15 or 20 minutes for a bit to keep the hydraulic pressure and to only pop the breaker if it pumps for an excessive amount of time...(due to probability of the fluid leaking if it is pumping for an extended period of time.)
Seems pointless to pop the breaker if there seems to be no issue with the fluid pressure.

:ok:Pyro

ZEEBEE
3rd Jun 2009, 13:49
Yes, one (1) green in a 210, but it's pretty hard to see sometimes.:uhoh:

However, the Dunlop hanging out the side IS easy to see.

ZEEBEE
3rd Jun 2009, 13:53
I remember reading an article explaining the inner workings of the gear, and that the motor does infact tend to pump every 15 or 20 minutes for a bit to keep the hydraulic pressure and to only pop the breaker if it pumps for an excessive amount of time...(due to probability of the fluid leaking if it is pumping for an extended period of time.)
Seems pointless to pop the breaker if there seems to be no issue with the fluid pressure.

Pyro

When the hydraulics get a bit tired, thee motor can actuate every five minutes or so, albeit for a very short time. However, the current drain is enough to be "seen" by the sensitive magnetometers on board and constitute "noise" on the acquired signal.
It is for these reasons that the motor is disabled, rather than the risk of damaging the motor.

the wizard of auz
3rd Jun 2009, 15:17
I bet Bob is pissed. :=

rutan around
3rd Jun 2009, 22:40
PyroTek, The hydraulic pump circuit breaker SOMETIMES pops if it runs for excessive time. More often the hydraulic pump motor burns out and then you're on the hand pump.
The pump will continue to run if ANY of the micro-switches (which indicate the wheels are either up or down) fail, or indeed if they are telling the truth and the wheels are NOT fully up or down and locked. If a hose blows or for some reason the hydraulic oil level gets too low, the system conserves enough fluid to get the wheels down again. Once they are down, leave them down, and don't cycle them again till the problem is fixed. If the gear goes down but doesn't lock, pull the circuit breaker to save the hydraulic pump motor. Then just seconds before landing, reset the breaker. The hydraulic pump will hold the gear where you want it until the weight of the plane holds the gear legs in their saddles and the nose gear squat switch activates. Don't ask me how I know this.
Every 210 driver would do the aircraft owner a great favour by learning where the gear pump circuit breaker is, and observing after every gear operation whether the pump has indeed switched off. On my aircraft idiot lights which show when the gear pump motor is running and when the starter motor is running have proved to be a very good investment.
Cheers

Jabawocky
4th Jun 2009, 00:48
Fair enough........ONE green it is then, the old three greens saying obviosly does not apply here........

Regardless he obviously did not check! :ooh:

rioncentu
4th Jun 2009, 01:04
210 Pre Landing Checks:

One Green
Window
Mirror

Check !!

kingRB
4th Jun 2009, 01:24
rootin'

the pump will also run whenever the hydraulic pressure switch senses the system pressure drops below 1000PSI. Conversely the pump will continue running until the same switch measures 1500PSI in the system.

I've had the pressure switch **** itself on a flight, which caused the pump to run continuously when the gear was extended, as the switch would not register the hydraulic system was pressurised to 1500PSI.

Took me a minute or two to work out what was going on, but the low voltage warning illuminates after a while from the pump running on, as its sucking a huge amount of electrical power. You also get that rank electrical heat smell from the pump that starts to stagnate the cabin after its been running for more than a minute or two.