PDA

View Full Version : Computer "shutoff"

happyjack
3rd Jun 2009, 06:18
'Looking for some guidence here:

My Sony Vaio laptop with Windows XP has taken to the screen going blank and seizing up when it is moved! The only way to recover then is to switch off and re-boot.
But... it is not always doing it. It needs to be on for at least 30 mins and even then not always. This just started 2 days ago.
I've tried virus scanning, (nothing there), clearing out the hardrive, and checking for malware. All to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

green granite
3rd Jun 2009, 06:46
Loose something or other, remove battery and clean and check the contacts, reset them for good firm contact if required, check HD is securely plugged in, last resort, take off cover and reseat ram etc.

hellsbrink
3rd Jun 2009, 07:09
Have you cleaned all gunk build up from the cooling fan grille? This soulds like a classic case of overheating, so it could mean cooling vents are choked up

green granite
3rd Jun 2009, 07:48
Why should overheating cause it to quit only when moved? If it is then the thing that's causing it has a bad connection in the first place hence my comments.

greenslopes
3rd Jun 2009, 07:51
My lenovo laptop has a switch which protects the hard drive when experiencing motion. If this is turned off and the puter senses motion it will shut down to protect the hard drive. Perhaps your vario is doing the same thing

Desert Diner
3rd Jun 2009, 07:57
Why should overheating cause it to quit only when moved? If it is then the thing that's causing it has a bad connection in the first place hence my comments

More like loose(ish) connection. Definitely sounds like overheating.

The overheating causes a seat to expand and a little jaring will break the circuit.

Also make sure that the fan is working as well as making sure the vents are clean.

hellsbrink
3rd Jun 2009, 08:08
Thank you DD

GG, the matter of it taking 30 mins or so BEFORE anything happens points to a heat issue. If it was a proper loose connection it should be doing that sort of thing from the point of power up.

green granite
3rd Jun 2009, 10:28
Sorry hellsbrink my point was that getting hot shouldn't cause the problem UNLESS there was a suspect connection which, doing what I had suggested, would help to cure, after all a slightly loose connection now, will only get worse over time and will eventually go hard so it's best dealt with asap. The heat side of things is merely giving an early pointer to the real problem which is a dodgy connection of some sort, even just getting to the normal working temp could show this up.

happyjack
4th Jun 2009, 16:56
Hej guys, thanks for all the help and advise.
The fan outlet was blocked with fluff so I gently picked it out and then sucked out the last. It has made it much better but not entirely cured it. I would say 5 times better but just as I think it is OK now it crashes.
So really the advise does seem to fit the symptoms but there is something else, or maybe the o'heat has damaged something?
HJ

hellsbrink
4th Jun 2009, 17:14
That is quite possible, but I would now go down the route of looking for things that aren't seated right and make sure there is no dust/etc around the connections. Believe it or not, it doesn't take much to unseat something, or a bit of crap to interfere.

Are you capable of doing a complete "stripdown" of the laptop to clean it out properly and make sure everything is seated properly? If not, I would suggest you "find a friend" who can or visit your local small comuter store. Don't trust the numpties at PC World.

Chances are that the machine is ok, and, for god's sake, make sure the laptop is ALWAYS used on a table/board/flat solid surface and is not sitting on your knees, couch, bed covers, etc as that will draw in fibres which will clog everything up.