PDA

View Full Version : Changes to DHFS?

2nd Jun 2009, 18:42
As per FB Heliservices Helicopter Training (http://www.fbheliservices.com/FBH/Training.htm), the FBH contract for DHFS runs out in 2012. Aside from the dawn of MFTS, does anyone know of any plans to replace the current fleet of Squirrels and 412s?

Marly Lite
2nd Jun 2009, 21:41
The way forward on DHFS post 2012 has yet to be decided. Do not bet on there being too much of a change in platform, although I believe that JHC are soon to air some radical views on what the advanced part of the DHFS bit will look like. JHC aspirations may prove unaffordable.

In short, there is no decision on this, anything else is speculation.

2nd Jun 2009, 22:03
This by any chance?.....

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc338/tonyosborne_aviation/News/AW690139.jpg

minigundiplomat
2nd Jun 2009, 22:19
JHC aspirations may prove unaffordable.

Agreed, but that doesn't just cover the future of DHFS.

scarecrow450
3rd Jun 2009, 07:22
Belive DHFS contract has been extended for a few more years, and the AW139's are for the Algerians contract(at the moment)

spheroid
3rd Jun 2009, 17:55
Any chance that DHFS will be teaching students to fly on goggles...?

scarecrow450
3rd Jun 2009, 18:36
60 Sqn aiready do as part of their course.

leopold bloom
3rd Jun 2009, 19:32
One of the weak aspects of the SARTU part of DHFS is that the course they deliver is firmly rooted in the past. A day/VMC syllabus using an old, performance limited, aircraft without any sensors and an analogue cockpit. The syllabus really out to be brought up to date to include night overwater IMC operations, AFCS, NVG, radar, FLIR etc. That way a lot of the operational training could be down-loaded from the OCU, an even more effective training solution when the SARF (or whatever it's called in the future) is re-equipped with a modern aircraft. Maybe the SARTU part of DHFS will go? I guess that JHC are the main customer for DHFS so surely they will influence what happens?

Spanish Waltzer
4th Jun 2009, 07:46
leopold, one would almost hazard a guess that you are promoting that the 139, capable of instructing...
night overwater IMC operations, AFCS, NVG, radar, FLIR etc

should replace the 412 for DHFS students at SARTU...now there's a thought :ok:

TorqueOfTheDevil
4th Jun 2009, 15:54
Leopold,

What you say is only partially valid.

The vast majority of students passing through SARTU are not destined for the SAR Force, so teaching them night IMC overwater etc etc is pointless. The main purpose of SARTU (for all students) is to introduce students to winching and mountain flying, so a complex/modern platform is not actually essential.

I would imagine that the main requirement for SARTU, in terms of aircraft type, is to operate exactly the same aircraft as the Multi-Engine phase of DHFS so that students who are not destined for the SAR Force donīt have to waste time converting onto a new type for their 3-week course.

TOTD

leopold bloom
4th Jun 2009, 17:31
SW, I think we both know the answer to that.
TOD, fair point as far as the SH customers go but doesn't address the SAR stream.

SARREMF
4th Jun 2009, 22:04
Torque of the Devil.

You miss the point. The job of SARTU is to teach the techniques. The aircraft is but a tool. So why do they need to convert to it? They never go solo so there is little point. I think that is what LB was on about - conventional thinking would dictate you have to convert. yet SARTU have been doing this exact same way with other studes very happily for years.

The point that the main customer is JHC is very valid and very correct. One could easily argue that these skills are not required in current operations, and I would agree perhaps a change of emphasis might be more appropriate [Mountains?). The trouble is, it was MoD policy that all Helciopters are capable of conducting some form of rescue [has that changed?]- that could be landing on next to a crash (Lockerbie- Puma) or if fitted, winching someone from floods (Mozambique Puma) - or from the sea (Air India - Chinook). So, crews need the very rudimentary skills to be able to attmept this without endangering their crews. Lets face it, there is not going to be any Sar boys in JHC in 10 years time so this course adds a significant importance when it could easily face the chop if Helicopters are to be used to aid the tax payer in the future - not on SAR, but aid to the civil community or aid to disaster hit regions etc.

Of course, if the DHFS advanced course became tri service - fully - then there is a certain service who might like night overwater introduced at an early stage on a cost effective platform - or FLIR. Perhaps dont dismiss it yet perhaps.