PDA

View Full Version : Meteor FR.9

DougGordon
2nd Jun 2009, 12:06
I'm doing some research on the Meteor FR.9 and would very much like to contact anyone who had a direct involvement with the airplane.
I'm also looking for photos of the FR.9 in service with the RAF and other air forces. can anyone help?
Thanks

avionic type
12th Jun 2009, 23:58
All I can remember we had [Ithink] the prototype or an early production model at the Central Fighter Establishment at West Raynham in Norfolk in 1949/50 for evaluation so it must have passed, it was a standard "meatbox" less armament and "portholes " with camera fittings in the nose and in the fuselage rear of the cockpit I think it was the fastest standard Meteor at the time .
we got all of the latest a/c at the time even the early Sabres for evaluation loaned to us by the U.S.A.A.F [happy days].

DougGordon
15th Jun 2009, 10:03
Thanks very much. It's proving difficult to make much headway.It was all so long ago!
Did you have any visits from the 81st FIW F-86As in the early 1950s?

avionic type
15th Jun 2009, 14:41
We had a couple of F86s in 1950 who they were I don't know they were visitors and stayed 2or 3 days it was something to do with mock air to air combat by Air Fighter Development Squadron, the pilots were ex WW2, Majors i think, as our lot were ,S/L and Wincos with enough "fruit salad " to give them a list to port when they had to wear the full medals .

DeepestSouth
15th Jun 2009, 23:01
I'm sure that you know already but just in case - Newark Air Museum has what I think is the sole surviving FR9 - VZ 608 - ex Rolls-Royce and Moreton Vallance.