PDA

View Full Version : Go Around

ceeb
2nd Jun 2009, 08:07
I was on the perimeter of Faro yesterday and there was a very low sea mist. I heard an aircraft coming to land and because of the mist it didn't break out until approx 100', the crew obviously not happy with the approach initiated a go around. I waited for approx 25 mins before it approached again. My question is, is such a long time normal? I thought it must have diverted. Is there a standard go around pattern, or did the crew circle for longer to give the mist time to clear (which it did) Cheers!

Avman
2nd Jun 2009, 08:33
Indeed, they most likely were informed that the cloudbase/visibility would soon improve and they elected to take up the hold for a while.

Bullethead
2nd Jun 2009, 09:50
Is there anywhere close to Faro where the aircraft could have diverted and picked up more fuel? I did a go-around at Jo'burg years ago and didn't come back for around four hours, went to Durban for more fuel.

Regards,
BH.

ceeb
2nd Jun 2009, 09:52
I think the nearest airport is Seville, but thats quite a way, possibly Lisbon is nearer?

Avman
2nd Jun 2009, 12:08
Come on guys, do pay attention and try to be serious. Are you seriously suggesting that the a/c diverted, refuelled and returned in 25 minutes? Sometimes I really do feel like :ugh: :ugh:

Bullethead
2nd Jun 2009, 12:57
G'day Avman,

Well having no idea where Faro was, I now do as I looked it up, I thought that maybe there was a close by strip that wasn't affected by poor weather conditions an aeroplane could drop into for a quick refuel. I also didn't know what size airport Faro is and the likely sorts of aeroplanes that might be using it.

Now that I am a little more knowledgable :8 I realise the impossibility of a such a suggestion.

I shall now go outside and self flagellate for 25 minutes. :ouch:

Regards,
BH.

ceeb
2nd Jun 2009, 12:58
No one is suggesting it did, I simply told Bullethead where I thought the nearest airports were. :ugh: :ugh:

EchoIndiaFoxtrot
2nd Jun 2009, 13:06
25 mins dosen't seem that excessive for a go-around but I suppose it all depends on the airport in questian.

Had a few go-arounds in both Bristol and Cork as a SLF which would have taken over 20 minutes all told but both of those are on top of hills and suffer badly from wx conditons (fog usually, especially Cork).

Avman
2nd Jun 2009, 14:09
No one is suggesting it did

Well Bullethead certainly did:

Is there anywhere close to Faro where the aircraft could have diverted and picked up more fuel?

Anyway he´s gone to self flagellate now. But the thing is, even if there had been another suitable airport say 5 mins away, it still wouldn´t have been possible to land there, taxy, refuel, start up, taxy, take-off and be back on finals at FAO only 25 minutes later. ;)