PDA

View Full Version : Which Airbus type does Virgin Blue operate?

Night Flight
2nd Jun 2009, 07:26
Just heard on channel 10 news that Virgin Blue has Airbus aircraft.
I thought it was just Boeing 777,737 and Embraer E170/190. Have I missed some aircraft acquisitions or is it just journalism at its best?

IAW
2nd Jun 2009, 07:33
At the start of the news they also said with a voice of authority that the Air France A330 crash was caused by a lightning strike.

CazbahKid
2nd Jun 2009, 07:37
You've got to be kidding...they are seriously hopeless.

Think of it as a maths equation:

Virgin(Blue + Atlantic) = Virgin Atlantic + Virgin Blue

Since Virgin operate Airbus aircraft we can deduce that

Airbus(A340 + ?) = Virgin Atlantic + Virgin Blue

Hence Virgin Blue = Airbus ?

But then again, I remember seeing in the paper once a QF A330 when it was subtitled 737. Cut them some slack guys :ok:

Boomerang_Butt
2nd Jun 2009, 08:30
Cazbah, that would be hilarious if it wasn't pretty much true!!!

Howard Hughes
2nd Jun 2009, 10:14
Many years ago to the average punter thought all aircraft were 'Jumbos'.

Since the introduction of Airbus and in particular the A-380, the average punter now calls them all Airbuses.;)

Qantas 787
2nd Jun 2009, 10:18
9 tonight interviewed someone (I think it was Barry Jackson) and asked about the A330-200. I think it was Peter Overton questioning the safety of the aircraft, asking some question like "should we be worried about this aircraft?" (someone might be able to get the transcript and the exact question).

First of all, they haven't lcoated the aircraft. Lets do that first before speculating about the cause. And then to question the 330's safety record is pretty ignorant - wouldn't this be its first commericial flight crash?

In tragedies like this, the media really do show how ignorant they are. Some cars crashed today, lets remove all of them from the road!

Howard Hughes
2nd Jun 2009, 10:24
Peter Overton did ask if it was possibly the same type of incident suffered by the QF A-330 at Learmonth.

biton
2nd Jun 2009, 10:32
I've met Peter Overton and he is a great guy and an avid aviation enthusiast. Ironically I found his aviation knowledge to be well above that of some of Australia's so called aviation media experts, ie. he tends to do his research.
I'm not saying he's not capable of sensationalism but I believe he's the best of that bunch. Peter's brother is a pilot with a major international airline.

Angle of Attack
2nd Jun 2009, 10:32
Better to get your news away from mainstream media, if you think this is a joke it is'nt, every single story is complete garbage, you only know it if you are familiar with the subject. Eg, we all know they are hopeless with aviation reporting, but it doesnt stop there, every single industry and item they report on is full of it! I know medical professionals that cringe about the medical reports, retailers that cringe, etc. Every single one of their reports are basically crap, pure and simple. Source your news from appropriate sites and if you rely on commercial networks lol your doomed! Personally I havent watched a commercial news bulletin for at least 8 years, dont have time to be fed lies. I can't believe anyone would even quote the morons actually....:ugh:

VBPCGUY
2nd Jun 2009, 11:50
Im going in search of these Airbus aircraft we operate.................:eek::ugh:

wirgin blew
2nd Jun 2009, 12:28
We don't so lets lock this one up mods. There is another post for all the armchair experts to talk about this crash. No need to link VBA with this.

404 Titan
2nd Jun 2009, 13:58
For the record Peter Overton’s brother is a captain on A330’s. I have flown with him many a time and he is a top bloke. I haven’t spoken to him lately but I would imagine Peter has already asked him some pretty in-depth questions and got some very accurate facts about the A330.

I did see the interview Peter did and for the media in general wasn’t too bad.

RENURPP
2nd Jun 2009, 22:10
My personal opinion is that aircraft have changed from "Airliners" to "Air Busses" just loook at who hops on and off. Maybe theey are correct!!

James Boag
2nd Jun 2009, 23:09
For the record Peter Overton’s brother is a captain on A330’s. I have flown with him many a time and he is a top bloke. I haven’t spoken to him lately but I would imagine Peter has already asked him some pretty in-depth questions and got some very accurate facts about the A330.

I know that HG's brother flies airliners, should we ask Roy?

:}

ROH111
2nd Jun 2009, 23:21
wirgin blew (http://www.pprune.org/members/99085-wirgin-blew)

We don't so lets lock this one up mods. There is another post for all the armchair experts to talk about this crash. No need to link VBA with this.

touchy...

404 Titan
2nd Jun 2009, 23:54
James Boag

Your point is?

I was replying to someone else’s post. I don’t have much time for the media either but I was trying to point out that the brother of ch9’s Sydney 6:00pm news reader flies the same aircraft type albeit the -300 series. It would be pretty logical (not saying it happened though) that Peter got some background info from his brother. Does HG’s brother fly A330’s?

I’ve already had several people ask me questions and while I have said I have no idea the cause, I have tried to put the information released to the media into context for them so they don't go off half cocked.

Skystar320
3rd Jun 2009, 01:05
The world is already full to brim with armchair experts..... Do we need any more

404 Titan
3rd Jun 2009, 01:57
Skystar320

And your point is? No one here has actually made any statement to what they think happened, including myself who flies the A330/340 for a living.

The reality is that most of the general public get their news from the TV. If the public, who are in general oblivious to the quality of the news being presented to them, could actually get some quality information about the aircraft instead of the rubbish that is generally fed to them, the better. That is my point. We as pilots sit here and criticise the media for being rubbish, which they generally are. They’ll only become knowledgeable if we give them the information that will make their job easier. After all if you or I were journalists and we had to write an article regarding the medical profession, how well would you think we would do?

Watchdog
3rd Jun 2009, 02:17
Titan,
But we are NOT journalists! We are professionals in another industry. So just as we are competent in our field, so should they be in their field.

Facing facts though, journalism isn't about telling the truth, it's about selling the paper/getting the people to watch so the advertisers pay up. :ugh:

404 Titan
3rd Jun 2009, 02:50
Watchdog

I agree but you need to put yourself in their shoes for a minute to understand how difficult it must be to write or talk about a topic you don’t fully understand. This is unfortunately the reality journalists work in. You must also realise that most TV networks and news papers have more than halved the number of journalists working for them in recent times but they expect them to do twice as much in half the time.

wirgin blew
3rd Jun 2009, 03:40
ROH111 - So perhaps I should start up a thread called

"Calls for Airbus to ground its fleet - QF and J* to be affected."

Perhaps that would be kind of like this threads title and create some more "news" for the public to read.

:ok:

Animalclub
3rd Jun 2009, 03:48
Isn't journalism something to do with reporting facts and the truth? One wouldn't think so now would one!

404 Titan
3rd Jun 2009, 04:26
Animalclub

Please have a read again what I said in post #22.
You must also realise that most TV networks and news papers have more than halved the number of journalists working for them in recent times but they expect them to do twice as much in half the time.
This is by far the biggest reason for poor quality journalism today.

James Boag
3rd Jun 2009, 10:06
Don't get so wound up Titan, was just joking. I think he is on the 400.

To be honest it doesn't really matter what Peter Overs Overton's brother flies, he would just be speculating like everyone else as to what happened. What extra information about the 330 could he give Overs that couldn't be found on the net? Get your point though.

Watchdog
3rd Jun 2009, 14:13
Titan,

yes indeed but as an industry professional, wouldn't it be pertinent to get some technical help before writing the article? For example, I'm sure Peter Overton rang his bro - maybe part of the reason his story was well done. :hmm:

404 Titan
4th Jun 2009, 00:30
Watchdog

Yes they would but here in lies the problem. They don’t have the time to do the research properly. Just like what our masters have done to the airline industry, the masters of the news media industry have gutted it to such an extent that what comes out of it is generally garbage. They are under so much pressure to get the story out in quick time that checks can’t be done. I actually remember when shows like 60 minutes were very good programs. Now they are just rubbish.