PDA

View Full Version : Whats Life like in Qatar?

Thai Pom
1st Jun 2009, 02:59
Just a general enquiry.... Beer ? Expensive ? International Food?

Thanks in advance:)

loc22550
1st Jun 2009, 10:30
-10 U$ for a beer (only available in Pub&clubs in hotel), unless you have the liquor licence (enable you to buy alcohol at the (only) liquor shop here).
-Don't bring it from outside: Not allowed!(will be confiscated on arrival, and if you are lucky returned to you when you leave the country :if they don't drink it in between).
-Alll kind of food available.
- "live" in Doha..well Definitively not the kind of live you meet in any Western-european-Asian capital city..!A few sport events in the winter.
Don't expect any techno parade-gay pride-Oktoberfeest celebration or such a event in the street of doha....:ooh::)

fg-fun
1st Jun 2009, 12:52
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yeah :ugh::=

larssnowpharter
1st Jun 2009, 18:16
I quite like it here and have just come up to 10 years in country.

WELCO
2nd Jun 2009, 00:52
To be fair, my opinions are only based on comparing living in Qatar to living in other Gulf states.

It's a bit more expensive. Good food is offered in many places. Shopping is OK. Hangouts are fine, but don't expect a lot of Western-like night life though. & you've got to be careful while driving your car,,,it's a crazy mass murder all the time!

My real concerns are the work environment that is from hell, and a certain type local people who can easily make your life harder. These two are my daily nightmares! So if you are joining QR on A320, you won't really realize anything to be said about Qatar either good or bad because you will be even in a bigger mess!!! :ugh:

larssnowpharter.. I don't really understand how did you stand living there for all those years! Good luck anyway.

Thai Pom
2nd Jun 2009, 05:06
Thanks Guys for taking the time to reply.:ok:

loc22550
2nd Jun 2009, 16:23
Welco: well it all depends where you used to live before coming to Doha!
Have you ever been to India,Bangladesh,Philipinne,did you see the "disaster" there in the street, the misery and the poverty..and the level of the salary..!
Well i guess for those people qatar must be a "great" place to live in comparison...
Always the same....

WELCO
2nd Jun 2009, 22:45
loc22550,,,True my friend.

For each of us there are priorities in life. My point was about drawing the attention to things that most of guys are suffering from on almost everyday in Doha and with QR. I should say it loud and clear to anyone asking about the place. In the end we vary at weighing the matter, and that's why it was just my own opinion.

I hope the new comers like it anyway.

larssnowpharter
3rd Jun 2009, 15:07
larssnowpharter.. I don't really understand how did you stand living there for all those years! Good luck anyway.

Well, I guess it is a personal thing. I have lived as an expat in about 10 different countries and have tried to learn the languages and culture of each of them.

I find that, in this forum, too may people have a negative attitude to the country and they seem to be the most vociferous. Qatar has many good points. Some of the restaurants are excellent and very good value. Basically everything (with the exception of pork products) is available. Housing is of an excellent standard, if a bit expensive. There are excellent sporting facilities and fair diving; the sailing is good. Education is excellent and most expats get this as part of the package. As an expat you get more 'freedoms' as you would get in most Mid East countries. We worship at a multidenominational Christian church that was recently opened here.

Other than a few doltish idiots, I find most of the locals pleasant, polite and good company. Last weekend was spent in the desert with a protogee with his camels and learning to hunt with falcon.

I am no longer directly connected with the aviation industry so all these comments are outwith the QR world.

However, I get paid an excellent salary, tax free. It is about double what I am worth in Europe and I am thankful that the extra money allows me to do things that - otherwise - would not be possible.

In total, have spent about 18 yrs in the Mid East: Qatar, Oman, UAE, S Yemen. Of them all, I'll take Qatar.

Emma Gemma
3rd Jun 2009, 19:41
Definitely Doha over Dubai if you think about the mad traffic!

Chinchilla.612
3rd Jun 2009, 21:24
Hiya,

Really depends what you want out of life, as to whether or not you'll like it here.

I've only been out here for a few months, but I'm loving it. The driving is a bit of a nightmare at first, but no worse really than most cities to be honest. Just don't break the traffic rules as the penalties are rather harsh!!

Loads of choices when it comes to dining out, and I've found the smaller eateries have some of the nicest (and least expensive) foods.

In summary....life here is what you choose to make of it :ok:

All the best,

Chinchilla.