PDA

View Full Version : Runway incursion - near miss at Mumbai

gh0strider
31st May 2009, 22:57
AI, Jet planes in near-collision at Mumbai airport - Mumbai - Cities - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/AI-Jet-planes-in-near-collision-at-Mumbai-airport/articleshow/4599936.cms)

weido_salt
1st Jun 2009, 03:11
Was due, IMHO.

Clear, concise and understandable radio work is vitally important. That also includes listening out before transmitting, if possible.

Remember it was a misinterpreted radio call, due to lack of some the above, that contributed to the worlds worst air disaster and on the ground to boot.

P.S., I would guess, if the AI pilot thought they were given a clearance to TO., that clearance would have been read back to the tower. If so I would not think the AI pilot was totally at fault.

777vs330
1st Jun 2009, 06:31
weido_salt
Clear, concise and understandable radio work is vitally important. That also includes listening out before transmitting, if possible.

Totally concurred. In the air, some of us really should listen out FIRST before transmitting. And on ground, in India especially; I find them talking way too fast, even when it's not peak period and totally no necessity. I have the chance to be amused by the most ridiculous fast pace talking by certain controller when there was no other traffic on descent during one of the frequent midnight express flights, I replied really really slowly, and didn't think he appreciated the subtle hint there.

Aeronotix
1st Jun 2009, 06:40
India Orders Mumbai Airport Probe - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124379034955269845.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)

doubleu-anker
1st Jun 2009, 08:08
India could do a lot worse, if they recruited a couple of controllers from the worlds busiest, single runway airport, to help out and expedite departures, etc. Some of the controllers are very good, some not so.

However I am being naive in the extreme here, as pride (national and personal) would never ever allow that to happen.