PDA

View Full Version : Brooklands Vimy

Chris Royle
31st May 2009, 20:38
John Dodd, Chief Vimy Pilot has asked me to publicise this;

BROOKLANDS VIMY - LATEST NEWS

Special event on 3rd June will raise funds for
the Vimy’s farewell flying appearances

Brooklands Museum’s airworthy Vickers Vimy replica NX71MY is due to revisit Clifden in County Galway, Ireland, to mark the 90th anniversary of Alcock and Brown’s historic landfall there in 1919. To cover the costs of this unique journey and other farewell flying appearances in 2009, the Museum will launch a special appeal at a fund-raising lecture at Brooklands on Wednesday 3rd June at 7:30pm.

The Vimy, currently based at Duxford for the Summer season courtesy of the Imperial War Museum, is due to be retired from flying and to become a permanent “live” exhibit at the Museum at the end of this year. Weather and resources permitting, the highlight of its visit to Ireland will be an appearance at the Connemara Airshow on Saturday 13th June.

Some funding is already in place to ensure this happens, but further support (either in cash or kind) is urgently required to meet extra costs expected to be incurred. These include fuel, insurance, landing fees, engineering inspection/maintenance, crew training and travel, exemptions and permissions.

A special Vimy fund has therefore been launched by the Brooklands Museum to fund the aeroplane’s final few public flying appearances this year and to cover its future upkeep in retirement in the longer term.

Several individual donations have already been pledged and a special Vimy Fund-raising event will be staged at Brooklands Museum on Weds 3rd June at 7.30pm.

This will feature a unique illustrated lecture on the Vimy’s three re-enactment flights given by Vimy Triple Crown co-ordinator Jenny Moseley and, schedules permitting, the Vimy’s current chief pilot John Dodd and its instigator, original owner and pilot, Peter McMillan, will make guest appearances.

Jenny and Peter will also conduct an auction of some super prizes donated by Vimy enthusiasts including Vimy memorabilia, flights in vintage aeroplanes, a VIP visit to the Tower of London, a flight in the Concorde Simulator at Brooklands and much more.

Admission will be by donation on the door (doors open at 6.00pm and a bar will be open for drinks and light refreshments) – entry via the Museum’s Campbell Gate off Brooklands Road. Further details are posted at Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com). If you are unable to attend but would like to make a donation, this will be welcomed and for UK taxpayers, a downloadable Gift Aid form is also available on the website.

It is Brooklands Museum’s intention, in agreement with its Trustees, the Vimy’s previous owners and the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority, to retire the aeroplane from flying after marking the 90th anniversary of the Smith brothers’ epic flight from England to Australia in November. NX71MY will then be delivered to Brooklands Museum by the end of 2009 for display and preservation in fully ‘live’ condition.

All offers of help should be sent to Julian Temple, General Manager - Museum Operations, Brooklands Museum, Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey. KT13 0QN. Tel: 01932 857381 ext. 240 or 0787 1085049; email: [email protected].

m5dnd
8th Jun 2009, 07:46
VIMY NEWS LATEST – 5 June 2009

BROOKLANDS VIMY APPEAL LAUNCHED WITH SPECIAL LECTURE:
FUNDS RAISED WILL HELP PAY FOR APPEARANCE AT
ALCOCK & BROWN 90TH ANNIVERSARY DISPLAY

Brooklands Museum has celebrated the launch of its Vimy Appeal Fund with a successful initial fund-raising evening. The fund will help the Museum cover some of the costs of the Brooklands Vimy’s farewell flying appearances and permanent display in this, the 90th anniversary year of two great Vimy pioneering flights, the first transatlantic crossing and first flight from England to Australia in 1919.

The Museum’s airworthy Vickers Vimy replica NX71MY is due to revisit Clifden in County Galway, Ireland, to mark the 90th anniversary of Alcock and Brown’s historic landfall there in June 1919. It will also undertake special flights in November to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the Smith Brothers’ historic flight to Australia.

This first fund-raising evening was held at short notice on 3rd June, and featured a superbly-illustrated lecture on the Vimy’s three re-enactment flights given by Vimy Triple Crown co-ordinator Jenny Moseley with help from three special guests: the Vimy’s instigator, original owner and pilot, Peter McMillan; the Editor of ‘Aeroplane’, Mick Oakey; and the Museum’s chief pilot, John Dodd.

Jenny also conducted an auction of some super prizes donated by Vimy enthusiasts including Vimy memorabilia, a flight in a vintage Piper Cub, a Tower of London VIP tour and a flight in Brooklands Museum’s new Concorde Simulator. An impressive total of more than £2,400 was raised from the auction proceeds and donations made on the night, which will help offset some of the costs of the aeroplane’s anniversary flight to Ireland.

The Vimy is currently based at Duxford, Cambs, courtesy of the Imperial War Museum. Weather permitting, the aeroplane will be test flown at Duxford next Wednesday (10th June) and depart directly for Galway on the morning of Thursday 11th. On the 12th she is scheduled to fly before the world’s press at the launch of the Connemara Airshow at Galway airport at noon. The Vimy will then appear as the highlight of the show on Saturday 13th June before returning to England on the 14th or 15th.

This coming November, after the Vimy marks the 90th anniversary of the first flight from England to Australia, Brooklands Museum intends (in agreement with its Trustees, the Vimy’s previous owners and the Civil Aviation Authority), to retire the aeroplane as a permanent ’live exhibit’ at Brooklands.

All offers of support including further donations should be sent to Julian Temple, General Manager - Museum Operations, Brooklands Museum, Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey. KT13 0QN. Tel: 01932 857381 ext. 240 or 0787 1085049; email: juliantemple at brooklandsmuseum.com Payments should be made to ‘Brooklands Museum Trust Ltd’.

5 June 2009

m5dnd
12th Jun 2009, 19:49
Latest news of the "other" V bomber!!

12th June 2009. THE BROOKLANDS VIMY RETURNS TO CLIFDEN TO COMMEMORATE THE 90TH ANNIVERSARY OF ALCOCK AND BROWN’S 1919 TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT.

Brooklands Museum’s historic airworthy Vickers Vimy replica NX71MY arrived back in Ireland yesterday as part of the 90th anniversary celebrations of Alcock and Brown’s historic landfall there in June 1919 after making the world’s first non-stop transatlantic flight.

In 2005, this same aeroplane, piloted by Mark Rebholz, and the late Steve Fossett, took off from Newfoundland completing the epic journey in 18 hours, 22 minutes, retracing Alcock and Brown’s heroic flight before landing on the golf course at Ballyconneely, Galway.

After a 5-hour flight yesterday from Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire, the Brooklands Vimy crossed the Irish Sea in bright sunshine and near perfect weather conditions before landing at Galway Airport at 18.00 hours.

Brooklands Museum’s chief pilot, John Dodd, arrived with a huge smile on his face, and told the waiting crowd “that was fantastic, the Vimy performed like a dream and it was so enjoyable that we were tempted to keep on flying”.

Engineer and co-pilot, Clive Edwards, said “the aircraft performed faultlessly and of the many historic aircraft that I have worked on, the Vimy goes down as the best experience of all”.

Brooklands Museum General Manager, Julian Temple, said “after the Vimy successfully completed the transatlantic re-enactment in 2005 she was donated to Brooklands Museum and we are delighted to be in Clifden this weekend to pay tribute to Alcock and Brown and what we consider to be the most important flight in aviation history”.

At a press conference today at Galway Airport to launch tomorrow’s Connemara Air Show, the Vimy was photographed flying over Galway and was then joined by two “Team Guinot” Stearman biplanes complete with wing- walkers for a unique formation flypast.

At the Connemara Air Show on Saturday, June 13th, at Clifden, the Vimy will be the star attraction of the afternoon’s air display.

For more information visit Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com) and www.connemaraairshow.ie. or contact Julian Temple on 07871 085049.

m5dnd
14th Jun 2009, 20:52
14th June 2009. TRANSATLANTIC BIPLANE RETURNS TO IRELAND

BROOKLANDS VIMY TRIUMPHS AT THE CONNEMARA AIR SHOW.

Yesterday the Brooklands Museum’s Vickers Vimy replica flew over the bay at Clifden, Galway, as the finale of the Connemara Air Show. Its flight marked the 90th anniversary of Alcock and Brown’s pioneering non-stop transatlantic flight of June 1919.

In 2005 this same aeroplane, piloted by Mark Rebholz and the late Steve Fossett, re-enacted the 1919 flight in 18 hours, 22 minutes, landing near Clifden, just as the original Vimy had done 90 years earlier.

Brooklands Museum’s chief pilot, John Dodd, a highly experienced flyer and display pilot, with 13,500 flying hours in his logbook, said “This has been the most significant aviation event I have ever been involved in. The aeroplane is unique and, with a wingspan of 68 feet, it is the largest airworthy biplane in the world”.

Engineer and copilot Clive Edwards said “in 30 years of flying worldwide on numerous aviation adventures, this one has really stood out. By operating this big old biplane, we are stepping back in time and learning how it used to be done 90 years ago”.

Brooklands Museum General Manager, Julian Temple, said “after the Vimy successfully completed the transatlantic re-enactment in 2005 she was donated to Brooklands Museum and we were delighted to be in Clifden this weekend to pay tribute to Alcock and Brown and to what we consider the most important flight in aviation history”.

The Vimy will be on show to the public at Duxford Airfield, Cambridge, throughout the summer. It will then be retired for permanent preservation at Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, Surrey, where Vimys were built at the end of World War One.

For more information visit Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com) and www.connemaraairshow.ie. or contact Julian Temple on 07871 085049.

Further info:
The Vimy is due to depart Galway at 09:00a on Monday 15th June and arrive at Fairoaks around 13:00a +/- She will depart Fairoaks later that day bound for Duxford with a flypast of Brooklands on route. All this, obviously dependant on Weather and serviceability.

m5dnd

m5dnd
15th Jun 2009, 09:24
NEWS FROM BROOKLANDS MUSEUM
15 JUNE 2009

VIMY RETURNS TO ENGLAND TODAY
WILL STOP OFF AT FAIROAKS AIRPORT MID-AFTERNOON

09.55 15 June 2009
The Brooklands Museum Vimy NX71MY is due to leave Galway Airport in the next few minutes en route to Fairoaks Airport in Surrey, where it will be on the ground for approx. one hour for a Press Call before departing for its final destination of Duxford. Depending on the weather (currently fine with predicted light tail winds) the Vimy should take about four and a half hours to fly to Fairoaks. Viewing facilities will be available at Fairoaks. Updates on the Vimy's progress will be issued throughout the day on the Brooklands Museum Website Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com).

For further information call

Allan Winn, Museum Director: 01932 857381
Roger Ramage, Museum PR: 01932 857 381 ext 238

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2009, 16:23
Great at Fairoaks this afternoon. It was about 45 mins late so I'm not flying with that airline!!

I took a few snaps and hope to have them on line later.

m5dnd
15th Jun 2009, 18:42
HD,

You should have made Yourself known! I was there as part of the ground crew in the hi-viz tabard!!

Yes a good day, and it arrived ok at Duxford.

Regards,
M5DND

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2009, 18:49
Phew.... just got the rolls of Kodachrome II to Boots in time..... See:
Vimy Replica at Fairoaks 15 June 2009 :: Fotopic.Net (http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/c1712916.html)

M5DND... always a bit scared of "making myself known"! I was hoping to see Bob Trott in the tower so Ruth and I could have a comfy seat!!! (De G4DYO)

Dysag
15th Jun 2009, 19:08
Just a genuine question for those who know. I saw the replica take off from Weybridge in the early 70s
(I think) but I believe it was later damaged. Is today's aircraft the first or second replica?

m5dnd
16th Jun 2009, 05:48
Dysag,
I also saw the first flight of the 1969!! replica Vimy from Brooklands as a mere 8 year old!! My Father worked on it. Sadly it caught fire at Manchester Airport a short while later and is now resident in the RAF Museum at Hendon.

The Current replica was built in California/Australia in 1993 - 1994.

Hope that helps?

Heathrow Director,
A comfy seat?? if only!!
Off to Duxford today to spruce her up a bit and put her back on display in Hanger 2. The "fun" never stops!!

Pics are good by the way. The Crew were John Dodd and Clive Edwards. The one You have asked for the name is Clive. I am standing next to him!! Thanks!!

Cheers

beamender99
16th Jun 2009, 13:18
The Brooklands Vimy (http://www.brooklands100.org/aviation/vimy/history/vimytimeline.htm)

I attended a lecture on the construction & flying of the original replica.
A wonderful detailed presentation.
(At the time of its construction it was discovered that the windscreens were still in production in Kingston on Thames and of course the engines were still in use)

I saw it at the Paris airshow but it was too windy that day for it to fly.

Saint-Ex
16th Jun 2009, 14:04
It wasn`t too windy at Paris for the Vimy to fly. The authorities offered us hangarage overnight and then opened a public road in front of that particular hangar at 0600 on the morning so we couldn`t get it out for the show. Funny that. The Saturday show was televised and we hoped to point out we had been flying the Atlantic for 50 years!

beamender99
16th Jun 2009, 23:53
Thanks for your correction. Someone was telling me porkies.

Old Photo.Fanatic
1st Jul 2009, 14:04
Liked the Pics.

"Kodachrome II" !!!!
I am intrigued to say the least.

I started serious Aviation Photography early in the 70s,(As a Hobby) used mostly Kodachrome II, some K64 as well.

Kodak then changed Kodachrome II to Kodachrome 25. I carried on
with this until it was withdrawn quite a few years ago,
only K64 then available.

I can only imagine you may have some old Kodacrome II in the "Freezer"

If so, I find it interesting to say the least. Memories

I went full digital in 2005 with quality Nikon, my old Film cameras
in a Display Cabinet, ahh well!!!!!

OPF

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jul 2009, 14:25
Photo fanatic.... Sorry, just my sense of humour! The pics were taken with my dreadful Canon EOS20 and then tarted-up with Photoshop to make them recognisable. However, many of the pics on my Fotopic site were taken with various Kodak, Ilford, Perutz, Fuji and other stuff years ago. I still have an EOS650 and a Konica 35mm film cameras, but I went digital some years ago and they've not been used since.