PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP Exam test questions needed

hobiecat
31st May 2009, 19:07
:mad: ..................Just where the hell can I find test "prep" questions for the FAA ATP Exam (Rotary exclusive) Do they exist? Been pounding around the interent for a couple of days now and wasted $50 bucks on useless websites to come up blank. About ready to burn my commercial licence and the 412 I'm flying! :ugh:

Any ideas?.............I'll buy you a beer!

SASless
31st May 2009, 19:24
Here is a good start....but you will have to pick out the helicopter questions.

The site is free.....and you have to be able to figure out what you need to knnow....so no beer required.

Use the practical test standards to see what topic areas are required.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_questions/

g-mady
31st May 2009, 19:39
Dauntless Aviation (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/?gclid=CKeT_q6n55oCFR1N5QodGX5lBQ)

hobiecat
31st May 2009, 19:58
Do they provide Rotary wing questions or do I have to sift through a bunch of stiff wing stuff also? I just looked at Daunteless? Is it worth the purchase?

Cheers!

alouette3
31st May 2009, 20:35
Do you just want websites or are you interested in purchasing the test prep? If you want that ASA will sell the books and the CDROM to you.Besides, the ASA booklet will tell you how to distinguish between relevant questions.Their website is www.asa2fly.com (http://www.asa2fly.com)
The other company that offers test preps is Gleim.Their website is www.gleim.com (http://www.gleim.com)
Good Luck,
ALT3

GeorgeMandes
31st May 2009, 20:44
A big caution here. Several years ago, I completed all the flight requirements for the ATP rotorcraft add-on rating (I held ATP MEL, SEL and SES ratings). I was told that there was an additional written test on just rotorcraft questions that I needed to take. I studied rotorcraft questions, and scheduled the written test for when we were going to be at Bell to do L4 recurrent, and also do the ATP rotorcraft check ride.

I arrived at the written test center, and started on the ATP written test. I almost fainted, as there were just a smattering of rotorcraft questions and the rest was from the fixed wing ATP written. I hadn't looked at any of that study material, and it had been ten years since I took the fixed wing ATP written. Think questions like ... departing a foreign military base, what are standard minimum visibility requirements for an IFR departure; if you move two crates of bananas from station X to station Y on a DC3 ....; and a number of 121 oriented questions. When I asked the FAA guy at the FSDO at Alliance about this, he had no idea that the ATP rotorcraft written was on all these non-rotorcraft topics.

So the answer is that all ATP questions are fair game, and the written test prep is a lot bigger deal than I thought. The ATP check ride was anti-climatic by comparison.

SASless
31st May 2009, 20:54
George,

At least you did not have to know what lights and signals would be displayed by a lighter-than-air ship if it was underway but without power at night! I never could understand the importance of knowing that in the 70's when there were no lighter-than-air ships in the UK.

To top that off it was a question on the air law exam that required a 100 percent correct score to pass.

Mind you the FAA is catching up quick with the Crats Agin Aviation with their bureaucracy.

Mark Six
31st May 2009, 22:25
SASLESS, thought that question looked familiar, then I remembered - Nigerian Air Law exam 2008!

spinwing
1st Jun 2009, 02:30
Mmmmm...

SASy ...

...what lights and signals would be displayed by a lighter-than-air ship if it was underway but without power at night!

Flying around Cardington in the 80s trying to dodge Alan Bonds Airships showed me the great value of that knowledge ... :p

....wonderful stuff ;)

P2bleed
1st Jun 2009, 04:13
Hobicat,

Completed last year using "ASA Prepware" which has a ATP, Rotorcraft Part 135 section. Managed it in around 5 days but if you are not native to the USA the Met questions can be a problem if you are not 100% on the position of all the states!

DTibbals53
1st Jun 2009, 13:14
The Dauntless was just fine, and you set the question bank you desire at the beginning of each session, to include difficulty.

I just completed my ATP and the written is the worst of it. King (remember John and Martha?) charges a lot more and has longer explanations, but does no better job than Dauntless. Just remember that there may be a couple of questions updated the date of your exam. A couple have no right answer, so you will probably not make a 100%.:ugh:

Enjoy, and good luck.:ok:

vaqueroaero
1st Jun 2009, 13:25
I'm currently studying for that right now. I'm holding the ASA CD in my hand. Try looking here:ASA: Prepware 2009 - Airline Transport Pilot & Flight Engineer (http://www.asa2fly.com/Prepware-2009---Airline-Transport-Pilot-Flight-Engineer--P1037_product1.aspx)

Good luck!

email me for beer address...........

helmet fire
1st Jun 2009, 15:02
Go Dauntless.

ASA cd they shipped to me did not work and they refused refund.
Dauntless was recommended by my faa flight instructor, and although burnt by ASA, gave it a go. Downloaded over net and worked like a charm.

I even had a computer meltdown whilst traveling and simply downloaded it again without having to get home and find the cd.

I'll claim that beer!!!:}

MarkerInbound
1st Jun 2009, 15:49
DT, if the FAA determines there is no correct answer for a question, as long as you mark an answer, it is counted "correct." So you can get "100."

Given that all this is done on computers, you would think as soon as a question was determined to have no correct answer it would be pulled from the test bank. But then we are dealing with the FAA.

DTibbals53
8th Jun 2009, 17:01
John and Martha King address a couple of questions that the FAA has determined an answer to be correct that are actually incorrect in the response. They inform the subscriber to answer XYZ even though it is actually wrong.

Updated questions that occur when the preceptor gets the computer ready for the test may throw out a question or two that were not in the prep quizes. No big deal, but the system seems to be geared to insure that there are no 100% testings, but it could happen.

Cheers!!

d:ok:

DynamicallyUnstable
10th Jun 2009, 05:15
I used Dauntless for all of my previous test practice and if/when I do my ATP, I'll use Dauntless for that too. :)

inmate
10th Jun 2009, 14:20
The ASA book is probibly the best book. Just break down the subjects and study for a couple of weeks. Best of Luck.

Sassy now you have my mind going back in time (nightmares will follow I'm sure), a school assembly hall somewhere in London, with a little man tapping out morse followed by lights. and who can forget the requirement to draw the internal gyros of an AH and the force acting upon them during a T/O roll.
Nigeria hasn't changed the exam either by the sounds of it.

grumpytroll
26th Jun 2009, 06:21
I took this test last Friday. I passed, but not to my usual standards. I bought the asa CD version. I don't reccommend it. The main difficulty I had with it was going from the question to the figures associated with the question. They were difficult to see and if you had to go back to the question to refresh the details, ie. pressure altitudes and temps, it is cumbersome. Also, the answers for some of the questions on performance require some pretty precise lines on the charts which you cannot do on a computer screen. I suppose you could print the graphs, but then why not just buy the book, its cheaper and works better for studying. The enroute charts have the same problem, difficult to see(they are sideways on the screen and you can't see the entire page without scrolling down). To the test: It is only 50 questions and I couldn't find information anywhere that the test is narrowed down to helo questions only. In reality I felt that it was, but it is still very encompassing. As a previous poster said, the takeoff mins at a military or foreign airport could apply. It was the most difficult written I have taken, including the FEW and ATP airplane because of the few questions on the test. Quite simply, nearly 1200 possible questions and only 50 on the test. I am relieved to have it behind me and am now starting the flying portion and prepping for the checkride. My advice, buy the book instead of the CD. Cheers

DTibbals53
29th Jun 2009, 10:34
Congratulations! By the way, the blurriness (sp) of the sectionals and the performance charts, according to the King manual, is intentional. I don't recall the reasoning, but they supposedly have one.

Like I said above, it is designed so that 100% is a rarity.

pgase83
30th Aug 2009, 00:31
Hello,

I would like to prepare the ARH written test.
I have passed fixed-wing ATP written part 121.
Do you know if there are specific software or program?

I would like to buy sheppard software, did someone try dauntless?
Any suggestion?