PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air

Blown Seal
31st May 2009, 10:15
I was hoping to get some information from current drivers at Arik, specifically:
- What are the destinations the B737NG's fly to and what are the layover ports?
- How is the company provided accommodation?
- Any problems with maintenance of the aircraft?
- Do you do anything during your time off in Lagos or do you just stay in the hotel?
- Any problems with flights back home at the end of your rotation?
- Does your pay go in on time?
- Generally is it a good place to work/good people to work with?

Thanks in advance...:ok:

GlobalFlyer
31st May 2009, 12:49
Hey,

Although I'm not an Arik pilot, I can answer most questions as they've been asked dozens of times on here :)

- What are the destinations the B737NG's fly to and what are the layover ports?

I believe you'd be based in Lagos most probably. The 737NG fleet flies all over Nigeria and along the West Coast (Accra, Freetown, Banjul and Dakar). Not sure if they have a base in Abuja for flight crew.

- How is the company provided accommodation?
Right now, they're using various hotels around the city. However, I hear they've completed construction of a brand new accommodation which will see ALL their crew under one roof, with full amenities like laundry, pool, restaurant(s), etc. MUCH better of course for pilots.

- Any problems with maintenance of the aircraft?
Absolutely not. Unlike other remnant carriers recalling the past of cutting corners, Arik Air takes it maintenance seriously and has a contract with Lufthansa Technik to take care of this work as a partnership.

- Do you do anything during your time off in Lagos or do you just stay in the hotel?
It's considered 'dangerous' to roam about if you don't know where you're heading and if you're unaccompanied. Crime is pretty high, however, if you do what you're told and visit the city's safer neighborhoods, there should be no problem. Also, the Nigerian hinterland is beautiful and is a totally different world, places like Abuja (the capital) or Calabar (Cross River State) are a joy to visit. there's much to discover including the Yankari Natural Park (near Gombe, one of Arik's destinations) where wild animals still live.

- Any problems with flights back home at the end of your rotation?
I doubt it. It's all taken care of.

- Does your pay go in on time?
I hear there are no issues with pay being late (unlike Aerocontractors that sometimes pays its expatriate pilots late).

- Generally is it a good place to
work/good people to work with?
If you are adventurous by heart, and appreciate other cultures, then you're bound to like it. The people are magnificently friendly too.

Cheers.

Blown Seal
31st May 2009, 13:36
GlobalFlyer,

Thanks very much for your info,

Cheers

:ok:

GlobalFlyer
31st May 2009, 14:33
You're welcome.

There's tonnes of more information and photos available at an Arik Air pilot's blog:

Burning Holes in the Sky (http://burningholesinthesky.wordpress.com/)

He flies the Dash 8 Q400 series which are awaiting delivery. You'll find out everything you need to know there.

Cheers

TonyWilliams
1st Jun 2009, 00:25
The comments here and the blog that is linked are spot on.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/TonyWilliams/SunsetBeninNigeria.jpg

GlobalFlyer
1st Jun 2009, 09:03
This is a nice CRJ900 picture. Where was it taken? Are you an Arik pilot?

Cheers!

Jeffdh17
3rd Jun 2009, 00:15
Blown Seal...check your private messages....

RUMBEAR
3rd Jun 2009, 06:42
As an expat, if you join as a type experienced Dash8Q400 captain is it possible to transfer to the jet fleet down the track (even with no previous jet experience). Or are you stuck with the fleet you join with.

Thank in advance for any advice.

menikos
4th Jun 2009, 21:03
Hello,

how long it takes between your arrival in Lagos and your first flight specially on the B737NG, heart that a lot of pilots few months ago were waiting in their hotel without flying spending time around the swimming pool.

Thx :ok:

Passionate_Poison
9th Jun 2009, 11:29
I have heard that Arik Air are now operating in JNB, is this correct? The London operations seems to be going well, they have even started carrying cargo out of there I believe. However they not taking any cargo ex JNB, is this correct? Passengers are informed of this when booking a ticket on this route making sure that they dont buy any appliances etc while in South Africa, can anyone shed some light on this, if its true and why they would do this? They certainly loosing revenue dont you think? :confused:

Jeffdh17
10th Jun 2009, 20:06
It could be 4 weeks or you could go a full rotation without flying. Either scenario is not uncommon. Staying sane is quite difficult during this period. You can take comfort knowing that many before you have endured the same waiting game.