PDA

View Full Version : JFK...No Stopping on the Bridges

None
31st May 2009, 02:45
There are no remarks on the Airport Diagram concerning the no stopping on bridge signs. The signs are located at each bridge crossing on taxiways A and B.

Out of curiosity, I asked our Ops to ask the Port Authority (they operate JFK) why we cannot stop on the bridge. I assumed it was due to static weight. However, I was surprised when the response was that they were concerned that high breakaway thrust could cause problems for vehicles on the roadway below.

It is obvious that many pilots do not know about the signs. They are not in our normal scan during taxi. And so it shall remain an unknown unless they put a note on the Airport Diagram.

400drvr
31st May 2009, 03:01
it's not a great place for an evac either.:ouch:

Willit Run
31st May 2009, 13:40
Taxi way signs are not part of your normal scan whilst taxiing?? HUH ?

None
1st Jun 2009, 01:50
WR, take a look at the location of the signs the next time you are taxiing at JFK. They are not near the taxiway boundary, but rather off in the weeds. I have a photo of the sign and its location, but I do not see a method to upload that onto this site.

I can only say that their location is not within my normal scan. Remember, you are navigating a narrowing strip of concrete that requires careful attention.

Ask around and see how many of your peers are aware of the signs. I did...

hyzhao11
21st Apr 2011, 10:01
any need for so-called'no stop on bridge"sign?

sevenstrokeroll
21st Apr 2011, 12:20
ORD has the same thing...no stopping on bridges and we all thought it had to do with the evac scenario

read the freaking signs will ya!

flying lid
23rd Apr 2011, 21:45
Keep a sharp look out for smaller a/c also !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lid

valvanuz
24th Apr 2011, 08:43
If you see an A380 coming on the opposite taxiway, get away quick. No room for two when the Super is on the bridge.

TheChitterneFlyer
24th Apr 2011, 10:48
Also, how would an emergency response vehicle (fire & rescue) adequately get to you if you're stationary on a bridge?

TCF