PDA

View Full Version : Secret Life of the Airport

Windy Militant
30th May 2009, 20:34
Just saw a trailer for this on BBC 4. If it's as good as the Secret Life of the Motorway, it should have some interesting clips of days gone by and interesting snippets about the people who built them. Didn't give a transmission time just said it was coming soon. :ok:

Lord Bracken
5th Jun 2009, 19:33
18th June at 10pm on BBC4, apparently.

Agreed about Secret Life of the Motorway, what a fantastic programme. For example, before watching this I had no idea about the 'London Ringways' plan which, after research, I found that it would have completely changed the area of London in which I live.

Saab Dastard
5th Jun 2009, 20:23
Re: Ringway(s) (http://pathetic.org.uk/features/ringways/) and other motorways - I came across this fascinating and informative site - Pathetic Motorways (http://pathetic.org.uk), well worth a browse.

SD

Windy Militant
7th Jun 2009, 22:33
Thanks Lord Bracken, I've mostly been watching ITV 4 over the last few days between the Red Bull race and the TT coverage or lack of due to rain.
Saab, pathetic motorways has some interesting stuff especially the motorways that were never built. Interesting to see the complete reversal of public opinion from the fifties to the eighties and also the struggle against the elements to build the M62.

abL1011
11th Jun 2009, 07:53
It's on the BBC4 schedule now. First showing 15/6 at 9pm followed by 'Goodbye London Aerodrome' about memories of hendon.

diddy1234
16th Jun 2009, 08:35
I tried watching 'Secret life of an airport' and 'Goodbye London Aerodrome' but the weather was terrible hence breaking up freeview reception.

Fortunately I was able to watch the 'Secret life of an airport' later on in the evening but 'Goodbye London Aerodrome' doesn't look like it will be repeated or available on BBC iplayer.

great shame, looked interesting.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2009, 20:40
A most enjoyable programme with some excellent period footage.

How good it all was before the riff-raff started flying......

Right Touch
22nd Jun 2009, 23:27
BBC Four is what BBC Two used to be , a fantastic channel which shows up just how dumbed down mainstream TV has become.

A Fascinating series so far , very enjoyable.

Ten West
23rd Jun 2009, 00:06
For those that missed it and can't be bothered to search the BBC site:

BBC iPlayer - The Secret Life of the Airport: Joining the Jet Set (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lc6bn/The_Secret_Life_of_the_Airport_Joining_the_Jet_Set/)

:ok:

diddy1234
23rd Jun 2009, 22:53
Ten West, thanks for the link

I just watched it.

It did raise a question though, what happened to the viewing area at the then terminal 2 (was it pulled down) ?

Tercarley
23rd Jun 2009, 23:02
didnt they stop it for security reasons Im sure thats what it was.

Seloco
24th Jun 2009, 08:08
It did raise a question though, what happened to the viewing area at the then terminal 2 (was it pulled down) ?

Actually it's mostly still there, albeit inaccessible to Joe Public now. If one walks from T1 to T2 through the Queen's Building, you do pass the Charles Blair P51 memorial which is in a still-recognisable part of the viewing area, which included a (now drained) pool, visible in the old footage.

The old viewing area would be less than impressive for spotting now that the terminals have been extended way beyond their original curtilages. Doubtless all will soon be swept away as part of the Heathrow East development.