PDA

View Full Version : Late starter in heli maintenance

rossosaladdodger
30th May 2009, 15:51
I was wandering if you could help me with some information as regards to getting into Helicopter maintenance. I'm a 43 years old mechanical maintenance engineer and have been working in the steel industry for the last 26 years.3 years ago I obtained my ppl(h) and thought it would be a good idea to combine my skills with my love of helicopters.
What I'd like to know is what qualifications would I require? And where would be the best place to achieve these qualifications?And if my previous experiance counts for anything?

Rigga
30th May 2009, 20:12
The good news is that you dont need any qualifications to work on a helicopter - But you wont be able to do anything on your own as you can't certify anything! Full supervision I'm affraid.

More good news in that you can do as little as a Distance Learning course to study the modules needed for a part 66 Licence (not many requirements for a helicopter 'A' licence so) I would suggest a 'B1' (for a mechanical Technician)

Even more good news in that I'm sure where you get your "steed" from may be able to offer some "work experience" for you - you will need at least 1 years experience - if you want to go for a Licence

Bad news in that unless you have "An Engineering Degree acceptable to the CAA" your qualifications wont count for anything (at the moment) except that you have had some recognised formal mechanical training.

Time to getting a basic Licence? 3-5 years at best. Then a Type Course(s) is/are required to be able to certify for your own work, and possibly someone else's. Plus one year, minimum.

Not nice - but realistic
Hope this helps
Rigga

rossosaladdodger
31st May 2009, 14:20
Thanks rigga, the other thig I was wondering is how much demand there is for maintenance personel ?

Rigga
1st Jun 2009, 21:16
I'll bet there's lots of places that say they're short of engineers - but they're also short of money to pay 'em!