PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow flightpath on a Friday afternoon

waxytudes
30th May 2009, 02:32
I live right under the Heathrow flightpath and am accustomed to (indeed enjoy) aircraft flying over me at least every couple of minutes when I'm at home.

This afternoon though I went to sit in the sun in the park after work and noticed for the first time that none were passing over... Not one in over two hours (6-8pm). A couple in cruise way up high but none on approach as is normally the case.

Anyone got any idea why? I am 14 miles due east of Heathrow.

Just curious... I normally enjoy lying in the sun watching them come over nice and low.

Cheers all :ok:

???pax
30th May 2009, 07:59
The chances are that the wind switched round and LHR was, therefore, on a different runway to what you are used to.

Have a look at this site and have a look at the activities for the day in question.

Heathrow WebTrak (http://lhr.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html)

Also grab yourself a copy of Stanley Stewart's "Flying The Big Jets". It's a really good read.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th May 2009, 08:42
Simple answer, they were on easterlies, departing 10R, and none of the departure tracks pass due east of Heathrow.

Nicholas49
30th May 2009, 08:51
Departing 10R? Or 9R??

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th May 2009, 10:31
Oh God! My aged brain!!!!!!!!!!!!! 09R

Skipness One Echo
30th May 2009, 11:26
Is it true there was a spike in the retirement of Heathrow pilots the year they switched the numbers or is that an urban myth?

waxytudes
31st May 2009, 21:42
Thanks for the replies. I thought it might be something as simple as that! Been like it all weekend.

Cheers!