PDA

View Full Version : RAF Undercrewed Fleets?

R Birkin QC
29th May 2009, 16:15
Hi All,
What fleets if any are undermanned at the moment? The reason I ask...
Netjets have just released various options to the pilots to help relieve the overcrewing situation. From voluntary early retirement to various short/long term part time options.
Might some Mil fleets or or even ground jobs benefit from bringing guys back part time or even permanently?
I hear a rumour that there might even be a dedicated desk in PMA trying to recruit back from the airlines.
R

Op_Twenty
29th May 2009, 17:49
PMA keep telling us that if we PVR they 'cannot guarantee that we can rescind it' as they have loads of aircrew at the moment. What they fail to understand is that as soon as outdoors picks up again then the guys who were going to leave will leave, and then they'll be a big hole. Doubt there's much space back in for guys who have left already, no offence - it'll be me soon.

Laarbruch72
29th May 2009, 18:49
"What fleets if any are undermanned at the moment?"

If anyone answers that on a public forum, I'll be extremely surprised... and disappointed.

abbotyobs
29th May 2009, 18:55
Op Twenty

I would hazard a guess that PMA are quite aware of the fact that as soon as the market picks up again, that aircrew will leave, causing the potential headaches that were happening in the last couple of years. The posters were apparently at the last BALPA conference so they know the score.
Why do you think as I heard on the grapevine, they are pushing for the retention measures to be kept, even though things are currently rosy for retaining RAF aircrew?

leopold bloom
29th May 2009, 19:37
Prepare yourself for surprise and disappointment - the SARF for one.

soddim
29th May 2009, 19:39
Wonder what a disappointed copper looks like?

Saw one today with his speed gun pointing at my 30mph car - sorry old chap.

Mach the Knife
29th May 2009, 20:18
I believe Flt Lt rank and 5 years bonded Return of Service post the OCU would be appropriate, unless you were a stroker who burnt bridges when you left in which case try Macdonalds.

switch_on_lofty
29th May 2009, 20:50
I'm fairly sure that RoS is already 6 years from end of OCU. Certainly is in the RN, and I think that the RAF followed suit during JPisation.

Op_Twenty
29th May 2009, 20:51
The fact is the JO's have 'found out' many a Senior Officer. Fact is that we all no longer are responsive to 'promises' that things will improve or that 'this job' is great for promotion, we TALK to each other. We know the career aspirations of each other and refuse to accept mediocracy, which, unfortunately, we are being asked to do. It is not enough anymore. We used to be proud but now are shameful that we have allowed ourselves to be nibbled to death, by politicians! Ducks I could understand. You lose talent and experience because if you are experienced you realise that your talent will be more appreciated (not even necessarily rewarded!) elsewhere. That is the truth of the JO, it just is, question if you will. We are flying less than the Russian's were in the 90's, that is the truth. We are broken, stop pretending we're not. It is not a question of national security - it is a question of fact. Everybody's undermanned and in need - there is no money, be honest - the Government has broken us and the Senior Officer's have allowed it on their watch. (I even resent the capital G, S & O) (Box - I'm getting back in...):ugh:

flytrap
30th May 2009, 15:54
Op 20 - I assume you meant 'mediocrity' - "a quality that is adequate or acceptable, but not very good" - but I cannot think of a more fantastic word for the RAF's leadership. As opposed to a 'meritocracy' - " a system of leadership by the elite based on ability: a social system that gives opportunities and advantages to people on the basis of their ability rather than, e.g. their wealth or seniority", we are saddled with a 'mediocracy' - "a system of leadership by the mediocre based on the ability to organise inane mess functions, screw people over, and the lack of a burning desire to join the airlines because your kids are at boarding school". Lovely stuff.

Herc-u-lease
30th May 2009, 16:40
fly trap,

love it - made me laugh out loud :ok:

H-u-L

scientia in alto
30th May 2009, 17:24
One reason that crews will leave...

Page 44 of...
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/849892B2-D6D2-4DFD-B5BD-9A4F288A9B18/0/DASCJournal2008.pdf

the "knock on" effects of deployed operations... boom & bust work & home lifestyles.

SIA