PDA

View Full Version : Runoff at Moorabbin

tmpffisch
29th May 2009, 06:40
Anyone know how this happened?

Student pilot’s landing mishap at Moorabbin Airport - Emergency Services - News | Moorabbin Kingston Leader (http://moorabbin-kingston-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/aircraft-accident-moorabbin-airport/)

Back Pressure
29th May 2009, 07:17
Looks very similar to the bingle involving VH EOT that ran into the same ditch on Jan 9 2005. 35R was the runway that time, but today it was 13L (or maybe they had changed to 17L by the time this occurred).

povopilot
29th May 2009, 08:20
Whoops. I remember looking at that aircraft 2 days ago and thinking about how tidy it looked....

newagebird
29th May 2009, 08:21
well had to cancel my 230 today. runway in use way 13L with 8 knots xwind as i recall and after the runoff, 13L was shutdown for a while and about half an hour later 17L was in use with pilots accepting 15 knots xwind.
VH-EWN i think it is from royal vic.

newagebird

I spy
29th May 2009, 09:47
"Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman Lauren Nowak confirmed paramedics had been called, but no one was treated.
“There were no patients and minor damage to the plane,” Ms Nowak said.
“The plan was caught in a gust of wind that blew it off the end of the runway.”

And she would know this HOW? :ugh:
OK, maybe that's what the paramedic reported after he/she assessed and spoke to the pilot.......but I'm not betting my house on it :=

Can't wait to hear from the militant Moorabbin Airport Residents Assocation :*

kingRB
29th May 2009, 10:41
bit off the old center line there

http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/gallery/2009/05/29/9ab45cbcd56d20195f755f55fecaec01_resized.jpg

ReverseFlight
29th May 2009, 10:55
I was going to call the RACV again - blown gaskets, cracked pistons and all that - but apparently this one is almost brand new.:eek:

Joker 10
29th May 2009, 12:18
Isn't this one of the training incidents young students learn from, nobody hurt apart from hurt feelings.

Just a bad day at the office.

smudgiebottom
29th May 2009, 12:26
Doesn't look like full flap was down in the pic on news link in the first post. Or am I being harsh?

vee1-rotate
30th May 2009, 13:02
Doesn't look like full flap was down in the pic on news link in the first post. Or am I being harsh?

Probably a good thing, due to the gusty winds?

Reverseflowkeroburna
1st Jun 2009, 13:56
I Spy,

It'll probably get edited out by them of course, but then at least someone will be forced to read it, but I just left the following comment on the MKL webbie following the previously linked report:

"Great to see that there weren't any injuries.

It is also interesting to note that it is reported that Ms. Nowak said “The plan(e) was caught in a gust of wind that blew it off the end of the runway.”

Was she there when it happened? Is she some sort of aeronautical expert?

As witnesses at accidents such as these seem to have a consistent inability to produce considered responses, then surely journalists have an obligation to temper their reports with such.

Mr. Turton, you may only be working for a local paper, but the local readers really do deserve better."

I'm sure they'll all be the same old blood-thirsty vultures tommorrow, but I might feel 3% better. :hmm:

All in all another injury-free reminder to be on speed and on the markers.:ok:
Not to imply he/she wasnt!

GABLUES
2nd Jun 2009, 09:49
Can you explain why you feel full flap may be not a good idea with this landing?:)

vee1-rotate
2nd Jun 2009, 12:12
not sure about anyone else, but when I was taught to fly, in gusty conditions, it was never full flap?

Reverseflowkeroburna
3rd Jun 2009, 03:20
Less flap = Higher Vref = Better control effectiveness & Better landing climb

This is naturally only an option if LDR remains less than LDA. Unless of course you want your picture taken in a ditch at the other end of the said runway! :}:}:}

GABLUES
3rd Jun 2009, 09:41
My reference to full flap for the landing was based on the conditions being gusting and more important crosswind. Does anyone feel that less than full flap should be used?? If so Why...

Mark1234
3rd Jun 2009, 14:36
Folks, read between the lines a bit:

Blown off the runway - hogwash.*student pilot*, only occupant: Conclusion - probably not that windy or gusty, or they'd not be out solo. Anyway, there's enough tarmac on any of the Moorabbin runways to land a 150 with 0 flap.

Some poor unfortunate had a bad day, stood on the wrong pedal / made a bad landing / didn't apply into wind aileron and probably learned from it. Nothing to see here!

GABLUES
The 150 has particularly effective flaps; with 40 deg of flap hanging out it has a lot of drag. It's also a little short on power; it can approach quite slowly and steeply. If it's particularly gusty / turbulent you may struggle for control authority at low speed - it's a lot easier to fly the faster approach with a little less flap. Having less flap will also assist in the go around - again it's possible with full flap, but the performance is a little marginal. Possibly a moot arguament as it's not that hard to get rid of it on the go around.

Hence, when it's on the 'very' sporting side, you might choose to use a bit less flap. Note also that the more recent 152 models (recent in a relative sense!) have only 30deg of flaps in the first place. (and it feels like you're missing something..)

Some will suggest you use partial flap, or even no flap as much as possible (i.e. where runway length allows), and on pretty much any a/c. In my personal experience, the 150's the only a/c I've ever felt the need for partial flap. But that's me.

In a crosswind, by far the most important technique is to remember to really pin that upwind wing down with aileron - get the wind under it and you will have issues.