PDA

View Full Version : LATCC - West Drayton kit now at Bletchley

Saab Dastard
28th May 2009, 22:52
I visited Bletchley Park today, and as well as the wartime related Enigma stuff, there's the National Computing Museum, where they have recently taken delivery of some ATC computers & consoles from West Drayton!

So they have recordings playing at the same consoles that I saw when I visited LATCC with PPRuNe a few years ago (thanks BRL :ok:). Needless to say I had a LONG chat with some of the blokes managing the exhibit. Computers AND aviation! :ok: Pig in brown stuff! :8

Fascinating place, glad I went, and I will be able to go back as many times as I want over the year on today's entrance fee.

Coup of the day - my two boys asked me for some change to contribute to some of the donations boxes. Change duly handed over and as soon as it was deposited I said "Boys, it was very generous of you to donate your pocket money like that"! They were suddenly rather crestfallen, and I kept a straight face as long as I could! ;)

SD

VnV2178B
29th May 2009, 07:47
SAABD,

remember that post war the Civil Aviation Signals Training Establishement was in 'D' Block (and also up on the field to the North - the base of the AR-5 was visible for a long time - edit to add - 'they' seem to have built a housing estate over it now). So the loop completes!

I must go again, I wonder if my 1971 pass will still get me through the gate?

VnV

Self Loading Freight
29th May 2009, 20:50
Was it this kit by any chance?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3337854471_d58a1a67db.jpg?v=0

I was at BP about a month ago, recording stuff for the wireless, and got to pootle about in the workshops. Huge amounts of gorgeous old technology, and a fiercely proud crew looking after it all.

(Anyone who hasn't been: there is no excuse)

R

Saab Dastard
29th May 2009, 22:19
Yes, the very items!

Console to the fore, and the PDP11s in the background.

SD

Nogbad the Bad
30th Dec 2010, 22:03
They're the military consols.

Civil controllers used to use flat tops in the old area ops room, and vertical square displays when the Terminal Control Room was opened.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
31st Dec 2010, 11:15
Mmmmm! PDP 11s!

Those look like PDP11/34s and 11/44s. I preferred the ones with the full keyswitch machines like this:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/frontpanel-small.jpg

I can't recall the octal 'noddy' we used to key in to load the boot tape, but I remember the console output buffer address was 777566; deposit '101' into that and it prints an 'A'!

Must get down to Bletchley. I could get a train to Milton Keynes. What's the best way from there? Train to Bletchley, or bus from MK?

John Farley
2nd Jan 2011, 21:35
Google Bletchley Park and all will be revealed about how to get there by public transport