PDA

View Full Version : Bystander injured in Goodwood crash

Gainesy
28th May 2009, 14:36
No further detals except solo helicopter pilot only slightly injured.

Teenager taken to hospital after helicopter crash at Goodwood Aerodrome (From The Argus) (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4403174.Teenager_taken_to_hospital_after_helicopter_crash/)

Teenager taken to hospital after helicopter crash at Goodwood Aerodrome

12:45pm Thursday 28th May 2009

A teenager has been taken to hospital after a helicopter crash.

The 18-year-old man was hit by debris when a helicopter crashed on take-off at Goodwood Aerodrome at 12.12pm today.

The man, who has not been named and is a contractor at the airfield, was taken to St Richard’s Hospital, in Chichester, with severe leg injuries.

The pilot of the privately owned aircraft escaped the crash at the helipad with minor injuries.

A spokesman for Goodwood Aerodrome said: “The pilot is shaken but unhurt.

“The debris from the helicopter’s contact with the ground hit a man.”

Sussex police and East Coast Ambulance Service were called to the scene.

The helicopter was covered in foam after the crash by Goodwood Fire and Rescue department.

Several appliances from Bognor and Chichester Fire Stations were on standby.

G-OAT
29th May 2009, 00:47
Anything to do with Elite Helicopters ??? I gather it must be if it was a guy on his first solo ??

Latest news I heard was that the victim has to have the leg amputated ??? is this true ?

G

coldair
29th May 2009, 03:14
From the Daily Mail

Airfield worker seriously injured after blade snaps off helicopter during take-off crash | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189272/Airfield-worker-seriously-injured-blade-snaps-helicopter-crash.html)

Airfield worker seriously injured after blade snaps off helicopter during take-off crash

By Daily Mail Reporter (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Daily+Mail+Reporter)
Last updated at 7:29 PM on 28th May 2009

An airfield worker was badly injured by a helicopter blade today after it flew off a chopper when it crashed on take-off.
The 18-year-old man suffered serious leg injuries and had to undergo emergency surgery after the accident at Goodwood aerodrome, in West Sussex.
The man, who was a contractor at the site, was working in a hangar close to the aerodrome's helipad when the crash happened.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/28/article-1189272-051F6AFC000005DC-992_468x286.jpg An airfield worker suffered severe leg injuries after a helicopter blade flew off a helicopter when it crashed on take-off at Goodwood aerodrome, West Sussex

As the helicopter took off, one of the blades clipped the ground and flew off, catching the man on his leg.
Emergency services were called to the venue, famous for hosting motorsport and horse-racing events, where they found the man in agony.
The air ambulance was also called but paramedics took him to St Richard's Hospital, in nearby Chichester by ambulance.
The 61-year-old pilot of the Robinson R44 Clipper II helicopter, who was the only person onboard, was unhurt in the incident.
It is the second time this week the emergency services have been called to the ground.
On Monday, five people, including a three-year-old girl and three elderly race-goers, were injured when a runaway Jeep Cherokee hit them as they picnicked in a car park.
The 4x4, one of the course's official vehicles, reversed through a fence, plunged down an embankment, wrecked another fence and hit three cars before smashing into the group.
Aerodrome spokesman Gary Axon said: 'At around 12.12pm today, a helicopter incident occurred at the Goodwood aerodrome.
'A helicopter crashed on take-off with a sole occupant on board.

'A contractor working near the helipad received a leg wound from some flying debris from the helicopter and was taken to hospital where he is under observation but stable.

'It appears a blade came down at a slight angle and hit the hard standing base which is concrete and ricocheted off.
'The pilot is a little bit shaken but unhurt.'
A spokeswoman for Sussex police confirmed that they had attended the aerodrome but said that they were not investigating

kwachon
29th May 2009, 08:14
G-OAT = wannabe hack....

Tarman
29th May 2009, 08:24
'It appears a blade came down at a slight angle and hit the hard standing base which is concrete and ricocheted off. - DAILY MAIL
Must remember not to land with the blades at a slight angle. I didn't know that they could flap that much ! :eek: You live and learn !

Gainesy
29th May 2009, 10:05
I gather it must be if it was a guy on his first solo ??

Where does it say first solo?

Bubblecopter85
29th May 2009, 17:56
I have done all of my training with Elite and have never had a problem with them. Bottom line is that ultimately it can be a dangerous game and one in which we are all continually learning.

Sympathies to the pilot and of course the poor bugger who got hurt, there go I but for the grace of god!

ALTSELGREEN
1st Jun 2009, 17:30
Tragically the poor lad has had his leg amputated above the knee

cjbiz
3rd Jun 2009, 17:33
Gentlemen (specifically Dogpaddy and Kwachon)

Why is it that as soon as someone requests clarification of a rumour on this rumour network, instead of getting a straight answer from someone who might know, they get unhelpful, waste of time comments such as "why are you wildly speculating" and "wannabe hack". As it transpires, the majority of G-OAT's "wild speculations" have been proven correct!

I understand that there are those out there who would use this forum for some sort of journo-gain but lets give fellow posters the benefit of the doubt. I only joined this network when a forum came up that interested and affected me, are you saying that I was under suspicion until my number of posts were up???

I am even annoying myself at writing this so I'll take my own medicine from now on and write only when I have something useful/constructive to say!

Safe flying

Biz

Brian Abraham
3rd Jun 2009, 18:36
cjbiz, you need a thick skin in order to hang around here abouts. You can always take the advice proffered to me by one countries industry leading lights. :ok:

I read PPRuNe regularly but try to avoid the temptation to post anything because I don't feel like getting into a pissing contest with the likes of those jumped-up little turds who have been giving you a hard time on the forum lately.

PS I've been insulted by experts as the saying goes. Residing here are mere amateurs. See Dannys post on the Air France accident thread.

cjbiz
3rd Jun 2009, 18:49
Brian

Nice to know there are sensible heads out there!

Biz

PS Sat growing a new, thicker layer of hide as we speak!

dogpaddy
3rd Jun 2009, 20:05
cjbiz,

I have already apologised to G-OAT for the comments in my last post and deleted it as I realise now how stupid it was.

I have also read Danny's post in the Air France accident thread and now feel thoroughly educated. Thank you Brian

I learn from my mistakes and will now return to observing from a distance.

Kind regards
dp