PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job with colour deficiancy

barne_as
27th May 2009, 15:46
Dear All

All my life I have only wanted to do one thing and that is be a pilot. however I am red green colour deficiant. From an early age I was told that I could never get a job in aviation and never fly a plane.

I am 25 years old now and have attained my UK PPL as I meet the standard for a class 2 medical, therefore can fly.

My question is, does anyone know of any way that i can get a job in aviation that doesnt require a class one medical. I understand that flying commercially requires a class one medical but are there any other roles, eg FI, Ferry pilot, etc. that would be suitable or can be done without a class 1?.

adverse-bump
27th May 2009, 16:20
you can not be paid to fly unless you have a cpl. you can not get a cpl unless you have a class 1 medical.

so you'll never be able to find flying job that you can be paid for.

there is some aerial work you can do on a PPL (para dropping, aerial photography) you cant do FI work, as you need a class 1. and as i said, you cant be paid for any of the work you do.

sorry i dont have better news! maybe check out the FAA requirements? you could move to the usa and get a cpl and instructor rating out there if you really have too do something! but im not sure about there requirements!

have you actually booked a class one medical too see if you get through?

Mercenary Pilot
27th May 2009, 16:24
Technically I would say no because you need to get paid to call it a job and this is illegal without a CPL. You can instruct on a PPL but again, you couldn't be paid for it.

Possiblly something to consider would be an operations job for a corporate/airtaxi outfit. You'd be around aircraft far more than would be the case in an airline and most probably get the chance to sit in and do some PNF (Pilot Not Flying) stuff now and then, for aircraft operating single crew. (i.e. acting as co-pilot without the flying).

kwb911
27th May 2009, 16:27
I know several pilots that are colour deficient but have obtained a class 1 medical. Just because you can't read the colour blindness test cards does not mean you are unable to get a class 1. At Gatwick they have additional tests to determine the level of colour blindness.

3Greens
27th May 2009, 16:55
i would suggest it unlikely. Not the answer you wanted to hear but of all the colours to be difficient in in aviation; the green/red combo is probably the worst. Both of these colours are used extensively throughout aviation, usually with vastly differant meanings!!!

blusky75
27th May 2009, 18:22
did they make u all the tests?? coz me too i m gree deficiant..but they made the nagel test and it came that i have just 0.9% and i matched 4 equations that is the result to be able to pass and gain the 1 medical....i don t know ur defiance degree but i can tell u that in normal life i couldn t imagine to have this" problem" .only doing the thest( to read number between the colors)....anyway if u are ok with the nael test u can obtain the 1 medical.....good luck

IRRenewal
27th May 2009, 19:30
see medical forum

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/229604-collective-color-blindness-thread-part-2-a.html

barne_as
27th May 2009, 19:32
"sorry i dont have better news! maybe check out the FAA requirements? you could move to the usa and get a cpl and instructor rating out there if you really have too do something! but im not sure about there requirements!"

If you pass the FAA medical tests (i know there different standards of colour tests to CAA) can you get FAA ratings, say for night rating, IR, IMC or CPL and use them here legitmately?

redsnail
27th May 2009, 20:17
Have a look in the Medical forum.

Google the name "Dr Arthur Pape" from Australia. He took on CASA and won regarding colour vision.

27th May 2009, 20:41
There WERE other tests - the lantern test I believe? - if you pass this one there is no problem with getting a Class 1 medical.

If you REALLY do want to fly then get a test booked at the CAA and see if you pass - that's the acid test - until then it's all just speculation.

underread east
27th May 2009, 22:24
I had an instructor who was colour deficient. I believe his Class 1 was restricted 'day only'. So you can hold a CPL, but cannot fly at night due to the fact that you have dificulty in identifying nav lights at night.

Aerouk
28th May 2009, 01:54
Why not apply for your Class 1 and see how you get on? I would rather let them decide.

Parson
28th May 2009, 07:54
For goodness sake, go and have a Class 1 medical at Gatwick or speak to their opticians. Try all routes you can by speaking to people who can actually say yeah or nay. And if JAA is a no go, try FAA.

Sable Knight
28th May 2009, 14:21
you mention that you are colour-deficient when was this confirmed and by whom

the standard test used is the Isihara test, which can be incorrectly conducted in poor light and the incorrect distance.

Your colour vision test is in accurate if performed before the age of 7.

The level of colour deficiency can be determined by a hue test or the test.

I am qualfied and practicing optmetrist, i can provide you further info if you require just PM me

buzzc152
28th May 2009, 14:59
I too am slightly red/green deficient. In fact, I couldn't pass the RAF medical because of it. I thought that was the end of the road for me. However, I went to Gatwick, paid about £20 for just the eye part of the class 1 and passed with no major problems.

That was about 9 years ago. I now fly for a large airline (and can see the PAPI's perfectly well thank you :rolleyes:)

Go and get a definate answer from the guys at Caa medical.

Bon chance.

PAJ
29th May 2009, 15:15
Colour-blindness research could clear more pilots to fly: UK CAA (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/05/29/327137/colour-blindness-research-could-clear-more-pilots-to-fly-uk.html)

Perhaps something useful might come from the tests that may emerge following the research completed for the CAA/FAA.