PDA

View Full Version : French snub the Queen over D-Day 65th

kevmusic
27th May 2009, 13:15
You steely-eyed killer chappies do miss some things! I was incensed at this but there was no sign of it on this forum so I thought I'd do it meself:

D-Day snub to Queen: Palace fury as Sarkozy refuses to invite royals to 65th Anniversary - and Brown won't act | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1188515/D-Day-snub-Queen-Palace-fury-Sarkozy-refuses-invite-royals-65th-Anniversary--Brown-wont-act.html)

Especially this:

A French government source said: 'There were never any plans to invite members of the British Royal Family, although an invitation has been extended to Gordon Brown after he said he wanted to come.
'He will, of course, be concentrating on the British commemorations, away from the American beaches, as is appropriate. This is very much a Franco-American occasion.'
:yuk:

airborne_artist
27th May 2009, 13:36
The slight irony with making Obama the centre of the party is that De Gaulle insisted that all coloured (over 3,500 Morrocan and Algerian) French troops in 2nd Armoured Div were kept out of sight during the division's entry to Paris. Reference (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7984436.stm)

Sarkozy isn't stupid, though. He's worked out that he needs the US more than he needs the UK, which given our rather broke status both financially and politically, isn't hard to work out.

goudie
27th May 2009, 13:53
This is very much a Franco-American occasion.'

Ironic to say the least. When the French pulled out of NATO, De Gaulle demanded that all American Forces be removed from French soil immediatly.
President Johnson cabled back,..............'does that include all the dead ones?'

Avitor
27th May 2009, 13:58
Send for Sharpe.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
27th May 2009, 14:31
Perhaps Brown the Humourless should do something honourable for once: decline the top frog’s invitation on the grounds that it should have been extended to our top rost bif (see, I did pay attention at the Equality and Diversity indoctrination). I do keep forgetting that, like his predecessor, he thinks he is the Head of State.

enq
27th May 2009, 15:01
Hmmm,

I'm not sure this isn't just an example of well bowled Palace spin to avoid spending too much time with the French - that seems eminently sensible to me.

kevmusic
27th May 2009, 15:10
Send for Sharpe.

......Hornblower, Aubrey and Maturin.......

air pig
27th May 2009, 15:16
Her Maj could take their national flag, white on a white background. It is is long time since we have dug the French out of the oudoure conversely it a long time since we gave them a good kicking as well.

Munnyspinner
27th May 2009, 15:17
Obviously Presidents only - oops, as you were, Mr. Broon!

Sarkozy's idea of a joke - just to remind gloomy G that he isn't a head of state.

I'm thinking of organising a bit of a do in Normandy that weekend. Just a few mates by the coast, some tinnies and few bottles of Vino collapso. Knowing that HMQ loves a decent BarBQ when in the North do you think We should extend an invite to Betty and Phil? Strictly BYOB! What is the protocol? email or phone?

All welcome - except the Frogs !

Duckandcover
27th May 2009, 15:27
Reading the Daily Mail is bad for your blood pressure.

Munnyspinner
27th May 2009, 15:33
Who reads it? I only ever look at the pictures!

Tankertrashnav
27th May 2009, 15:36
When the festivities are over Obama and Sarkozy can settle down to an evening of watching 'Saving Private Ryan', and 'Band of Brothers'. No chance of being reminded of the despised Brits' participation in the liberation of France there.

Some feedback from US (and French) PPruners would be welcome on this thread

kevmusic
27th May 2009, 16:16
watching 'Saving Private Ryan'

Ah yes, and in the last battle scene along comes a Panther tank about to be Tom Hanks's nemesis until itself is blown up by a Mustang actually flown for the film by....now, who was it again?.......:rolleyes:

ehwatezedoing
27th May 2009, 16:47
Considering what the French did to their own Royal family two centuries ago, I think it's a smart move :E

PPRuNeUser0139
27th May 2009, 16:55
Madame SV brought this subject to my attention having seen the Mail's headlines while in town this afternoon..
Her reaction - assuming the Mail story is true (!) - was that she thought it was an insult to the UK.. Gordon Broon may be many things but one thing he is not is a Head of State. It seems incredibly insensitive of the French not to invite the Brits at HoS level..
Madame is as bemused by it all as the rest of us.

sv

Icare9
27th May 2009, 17:15
I too was speechless that the sacrifices made to liberate the Occupied Countries could be so callously treated, but then Browns lot didn't think the 65th Anniversary should be a special commemoration in any way. No thought that it could be the last time most of them will be around or fit enough to make the trip again.
What is it with Labour that in the last 10 or so years, all they have done is make us a laughing stock to the rest of the world?
Selling of the gold reserves, Blair thinking he's UK President, MP's claiming every penny they can gouge from us and then squealing about bankers bonuses, military ordering fiascos where the object seems to be how to throw away as much money as possible on projects which the man in the street would have pointed out were false to begin with, morale at rock bottom in all walks of life and to cap it all,most of the cabinet are of Scottish persuasion and just seem to be p1ssing all over the rest of the UK.
Still, I suppose the French need to have something to celebrate, how they carried out a strategic withdrawal and then came back when the nasty Germans had gone away.
Remind me again just how many French troops were rescued from Dunkirk as well as our own? And what about Marshal Peestain? What did he do in the War Daddy?
The sooner Her Maj tells Broon to go, the better. What did we do to deserve them?

Dengue_Dude
27th May 2009, 17:23
I'm surprised you are all surprised . . .

They're politicians - 'nuff said.

Also just another expenses claim.

flash8
27th May 2009, 17:25
Bring Maggie (and Tarzan) back... god we were respected back then.

LEE BRITT
27th May 2009, 17:35
Touche. :D

PPRuNeUser0139
27th May 2009, 17:51
I'm also surprised that Obama's political savvy seems to have deserted him on this occasion..
A phone call reminder to Sarko to get his ducks in a row wouldn't have gone amiss..

sv

airborne_artist
27th May 2009, 17:57
Removed out of respect for Deifpil's post.

Molemot
27th May 2009, 18:06
Couldn't the BBMF manage a nice flypast?!! Take the Dak as well....and a few Paras.....

GPMG
27th May 2009, 18:07
Many of the accounts and books that I have read, has talked about the high level of skill and bravery of the French soldier / pilot.
It has been the French Generals and upper brass that has been pathetic and cowardly and have let France down.

Looks like their President is letting France down as well, by not honouring the massive debt it owes Britain as well as the US. It is a shame, as the French people still remember, and many are still happy to meet us Brits when we visit. I would not be surprised if many of the french people are questionning why the Queen is being snubbed as well.

GeeRam
27th May 2009, 18:34
conversely it a long time since we gave them a good kicking as well.

Almost 69 years.....3rd July 1940 ;)

:E

mick2088
27th May 2009, 20:00
In France's Histoire de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale, it is often referred to as the Bataille de Mers-el-Kebir. A very one-sided battle as such.

Jackonicko
27th May 2009, 20:10
I don't know. They didn't run up a white flag, so as French battles go......

deifpil
27th May 2009, 20:18
Hi all Like most of the French, I am surprise that you are not invited…and I feel very sorry about it… Like most of the French I have learned about the Second World War and the sacrifice of your soldiers for our country…you can be really proud of this part of history, we cannot… We have a great respect for you, your people, and your engagement all over the world… Like most of people I think it’s a huge, incomprehensible mistake…another politic manoeuver… For this anniversary my squadron will deploy for “airspace protection” , and be sure we will have “une pensée” for your “soldats tombés au champ d’honneur”.

Melchett01
27th May 2009, 20:25
A French government source said: 'There were never any plans to invite members of the British Royal Family, although an invitation has been extended to Gordon Brown after he said he wanted to come.
'He will, of course, be concentrating on the British commemorations, away from the American beaches, as is appropriate. This is very much a Franco-American occasion.'

Unlike 1944, which was more of an Anglo-American occasion. More re-writing of history by the French politicians perhaps?

kevmusic
27th May 2009, 20:28
As the OP I think that was nobly said, and I thank you for taking such an adult and pragmatic view, deifpil. I leave it to my military friends to express their appreciation of what I'm sure is the majority view of your countrymen. :D

Green Flash
27th May 2009, 20:39
kev - seconded:D
diefpil- nice to see that there are still men of honour over the Channel.:ok: You, like us, seem to be suffering from politicians too ..... :hmm:

Yamagata ken
27th May 2009, 23:52
The memsahib tells me that Sarkozy transliterates to "orphan monkey" in Japanese.

brickhistory
28th May 2009, 00:34
I'm also surprised that Obama's political savvy seems to have deserted him on this occasion..

Umm, this is the same guy that presented an iPod to your Queen, remember?

Besides, I've no doubt that He (capital for effect - see US political thread on Jet Blast) is content with the venue as is. Two celebrities fist bumping - your PM is not 'hip' enough, I'm sure - with attractive wives. It's a photo op for the new American Idol.

Also, you were on GWB's side (really trying to avoid any comments on this thread about that) on the Iraq and Afghanistan sorties, so you are placed on the 'discard' pile along with all things Bush.

You see, for Him, allies are old hat. It's those that don't much like us that we, or at least He, will go the extra mile.

And as for the French, let us not forget that they at least did provide the playing field...

edited to add: well said, deifpil

Jackonicko
28th May 2009, 00:44
Deifpil,

Bon chance!

Registering and making that your first post. What a top man. Happy landings mate.

My respect for the Armée de l'Air has just shot up several notches, if its squadrons include chaps like you.

calumwm
28th May 2009, 07:03
Turns out that it's fixed now! But, Broon's got the blame for not arguing 6 months ago :p

phil gollin
28th May 2009, 07:36
What about the Canadians ?

-----------

This has been a rather bad bit of PR for the French.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
28th May 2009, 08:51
French D-Day surrender: Sarkozy makes U-turn and says Queen IS welcome at 65th anniversary | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189057/French-D-Day-surrender-Sarkozy-makes-U-turn-says-Queen-IS-welcome-65th-anniversary.html)

French D-Day surrender: Sarkozy makes U-turn and says Queen IS welcome at 65th anniversary

Well, it is the Wail.

The French bowed to British anger yesterday over their failure to invite the Queen to next week's D-Day events.

After an outcry revealed in yesterday's Daily Mail, they announced that she was 'welcome' after all at the 65th anniversary.

It was a dramatic U-turn by the French, who only hours before had been insisting that they had never planned to invite any members of the Royal Family.

But with only nine days to go, it was unclear whether any of them would be able to attend.

The statement that the Queen was ' naturally welcome in her capacity as head of the British state' fell short of a formal invitation, posing a continuing problem for Buckingham Palace officials who say they cannot act without one.

In any case, they normally take up to six months to prepare for such an event abroad, with every detail of the schedule, security and official protocol worked out.

deifpi. Well said, Sir. We, as a Nation, are only too aware that Governments are not always representative of the people who elect them.

airborne_artist
28th May 2009, 09:03
I knew that the father of a friend had served in the RAF in WW2 as a pilot. On the Mall with them for the 50th anniversary of D-Day I asked where he had been in the day - over the Normandy beaches in a Spitfire. I was lost for words, and when we finally spoke, he said when he saw the invasion fleet below, so was he.

cockney steve
28th May 2009, 09:49
On my first(and to-date, only,) sally abroad, I visited the Limousin area of rural France.
People extremely friendly and welcoming. WW 2 memorials prominent and not just the major one in the village square....odd ones dotted about the countryside, all immaculately kept and with a posy of fresh flowers often prominent.

Mount Gargon has a tribute with the RAF roundel prominent and a description of the resupply of the Resistance, by the British.
It was not alone, I saw several other examples marking "The RAF was here"

A monument to Violette Szabo stands at a bleak road-fork in the middle of nowhere...but was decorated with a Tricolore and a Union Jack, both in excellent,clean, unworn condition, clean, shiny marble,flowers.
All this in an area about as populated as the Highlands of Jockistan.

Sod the politicians.....the French people don't forget.

skua
28th May 2009, 09:57
So the Poison Dwarf strikes a blow against Anglo-French relations. Quelle Surprise.

Re Broon turning up, does anyone share my queasiness whenever he rocks up at such a high profile military event? The brass neck of the bloke, after all he has done to suck life out of our Forces.

SPIT
28th May 2009, 17:27
I realy can't understand this. The Brits then the Yanks liberated France from the Germans in 1944 at great loss of life so the French can't seem to do enough now for the Germans and seem to want to forget the 1939/45 do to liberate them from the very nation that wanted to enslave them then ??? :confused::confused:

GPMG
28th May 2009, 17:46
Knee jerking over, French govt u-turn, all squared away.....It's Browns fault as usual. :*

Nothing to see here.

A2QFI
28th May 2009, 18:35
Partial U turn, not all squared away and Brown IS responsible for everything! Having nothing better to do during a quiet shift I searched for anagrams of Nicholas Sarkozy. Crazy Snail Hooks seemed about right!

Munnyspinner
28th May 2009, 19:48
Bugger, now I'm going to have to take Phil and Betty off the invite list for the barbie.

minigundiplomat
28th May 2009, 19:49
I don't think it is worth getting worked up about.

My grandfather arrived in Normandy in the early hours of 6th June 1944. Funnily enough, after the war he maintained a grudging respect for the Germans (Normal Wermacht, not the others), but couldnt stand the French.

I am pretty sure the Dutch would be over the moon for HM to attend the 65th Anniversary of Market Garden. They have slightly more humility, a better recall of history and an generally respectful outlook.

You may even persuade some of the vets to jump once more. Downing St could be the key objective in the current battle to save the UK from the dark forces of tyranny. Who knows, the Ghurkas may join the fray.

MGD

Tankertrashnav
28th May 2009, 19:58
What about the Canadians?

And many others of course. I have just bought a group of medals including the France and Germany Star to a Pole who was wounded in action at Caen whilst serving with the Polish Army under British command. The idea that this is being seen by the politicos as a primarily Franco - American occasion is frankly insulting.

May I also add my thanks and admiration for your remarks Deifpil - you have single handedly done much to restore Franco-British relations, on this site at least. And while we are on the subject , I would assure you that few Brits see the Mers el Kebir tragedy as anything to joke about. I think the Royal Navy saw it as a distasteful action which had to be done in the circumstances at the time, but I doubt if they took any pride in it.

Dengue_Dude
28th May 2009, 20:10
Merci beaucoups, vous êtes très aimable, bon chance monsieur.

Having recently lived in France for 18 months, I never met anything but deep gratitude and respect from the French people.

I feel that any Franco-bashing is as inappropriate as blaming all Brits for what the government has managed to enmesh us in.

I think our French gentleman has been very gracious and I thank him accordingly.

Green Flash
28th May 2009, 20:16
MGD

Agreed, although may I make one or two revisions to your post please?

I am pretty sure the Dutch would be over the moon for HM to attend the 65th Anniversary of Market Garden. They have great humility, a perfect recall of history and an extremely respectful outlook.

You seem to have missed out their cracking sense of humour.

Whilst me and the present Mrs Flash were enjoying a long weekend in Haarlem in the late 80's I became very aware of Operation Manna. The look in an old Cloggy's eyes said it all really, and we couldn't buy a beer all night. They hadn't forgotten. Despite the best efforts of politicians, friends will allways be friends.

cazatou
28th May 2009, 20:41
HM the Queen has every right to attend the D-Day commemorations as She was a Serving Member of the Armed forces of the UK, as was her Husband, at the time of the Invasion of Normandy.

What are the Military Qualifications of the 2 Presidents?

:mad:

elpilotofrances
28th May 2009, 21:13
the 2 présidents have no military qualification, but I think they were elected by their respective people, so....and I think they are chief of their respective army
some english people on this forum are saying thinks on french président that deserve all english....

gar170
29th May 2009, 09:55
respect where respect is due I am not a great lover of the French but this story should be told.
L'histoire du maquis de nistos esparros (http://maquis-nistos-esparros.chez-alice.fr/crash_en.php)

Operation Pic de Douley 2/3 July 2004 (http://www.624squadron.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=152)

WHBM
29th May 2009, 11:29
I can't see how it is "primarily" an American event. Sure the US played a key part and took considerable losses, and President Obama is certainly welcome to come and represent them. But the British and Canadian forces (remember The Queen is head of state of both countries) deployed more men on D-Day, and over the whole campaign took many more casualties than the USA.

If the British government, who should have organised everything, has messed this up, then it does seem time for The Queen to take Brown to one side and say : "Look, you've hacked all the rest of the country off with your various stupidities, now you've hacked me off. Push off".

BrenGun
29th May 2009, 11:59
Why go to France at all. We should stick our fingers up at them and have events along the south coast to remember our troops. They were of course all alive when they left these shores.

ARXW
29th May 2009, 15:14
minigundiplomat,
My grandfather arrived in Normandy in the early hours of 6th June 1944. Funnily enough, after the war he maintained a grudging respect for the Germans (Normal Wermacht, not the others), but couldnt stand the French.

being Greek I am out of this argument but I did find this quote interesting. I'm sure the 'others' are effectively the waffen-SS divisions that fought in Normandy. I recently finished part 1 of the book on the history of the 12th SS by Hubert Meyer who was the Adjustant then CO of the 12th Hitlerjugend SS division. You have to credit the man for a very comprehensive historical work if, therefore, a dry account of events even though he was at the forefront of events himself throughout the war in the West!! He does seem to sweep under the carpet the matter of atrocities committed by his troops however.

I wonder were these troops distasteful and hated for attrocities committed on the Brits (since I think the atrocities committed by 12th SS in Normandy were a few instance on Canadian POWs) or did the rumour of atrocities spread quickly though the allies and therefore made the SS troopers a hated sight? From the picture one gets from the book they were exceptionally determined, very well trained and very well led by veterans of 1 LSSAH who were the leadership cadre of the division which is what set back the allied plan for an advance to Paris after a couple of days by about 1.5 months.

minigundiplomat
29th May 2009, 16:18
minigundiplomat,

Quote:
being Greek I am out of this argument but I did find this quote interesting. I'm sure the 'others' are effectively the waffen-SS divisions that fought in Normandy. I recently finished part 1 of the book on the history of the 12th SS by Hubert Meyer who was the Adjustant then CO of the 12th Hitlerjugend SS division. You have to credit the man for a very comprehensive historical work if, therefore, a dry account of events even though he was at the forefront of events himself throughout the war in the West!! He does seem to sweep under the carpet the matter of atrocities committed by his troops however.

I wonder were these troops distasteful and hated for attrocities committed on the Brits (since I think the atrocities committed by 12th SS in Normandy were a few instance on Canadian POWs) or did the rumour of atrocities spread quickly though the allies and therefore made the SS troopers a hated sight? From the picture one gets from the book they were exceptionally determined, very well trained and very well led by veterans of 1 LSSAH who were the leadership cadre of the division which is what set back the allied plan for an advance to Paris after a couple of days by about 1.5 months.

By the time he arrived in Normandy, he had spent the rest of the war in North Africa, Italy and a few other places. He would have probably already formed a number of opinions.
Alas, he is no longer with us and so I can't ask him to expand, but it seems that the majority of his experiences with the Germans were of a conventional infantry nature involving the average 'Jerry'. he never mentioned the SS but hated the Nazis, always noting the difference between them and the average German soldier. I am pretty sure his opinion of the french was formed 1944-45, though it stayed with him for the rest of his life.

Chugalug2
29th May 2009, 21:28
Green Flash:

The look in an old Cloggy's eyes said it all really, and we couldn't buy a beer all night.

I had the privilege in the early 70's to do the commemorative drop of one stick of the Paras onto the Arnhem DZ. Bloody great piece of heathland real estate entirely populated by Dutch civilians out to pay homage to the memory of those who fought and died in and around their town. They very considerately left a postage stamp square of a DZ for the Nav to aim at. Fortunately his aim was good, the drop declared a success and the crew invited out to sample the hospitality of the Dutch Air Force. The rest remains a bit of a blur...
As you say remembrance is strong in their culture and religiously passed down the generations. I have no such impression of French National remembrance of any other than their own, but accept of course that Regions and individuals often conflict with such a sweeping judgement, eg Diefpil. Well said Sir!

kevmusic
29th May 2009, 23:31
Looking at the progress of this thread the principal issues seem centered around the relationship of these facts: (1) the Sarkozy office's arrogance with 'This is very much a Franco-American occasion'; (2) the disposition of the invasion forces was 73,00 American and over 83,00 British and Canadian and (3) Brown's weakness before his Franco-American counterparts.

Archimedes
30th May 2009, 00:11
Kev - I think they said 'primarily' rather than 'very much'. That may seem mere semantics, but makes a difference. The former is nothing more than a statement of fact which refers to the commemorations rather than representing a view that the Normandy campaign was primarily a Franco-American affair.

The government (ours) decided that it would not participate fully in the 65th anniversary ceremonies, which meant that the events would have been an entirely Franco-American affair (in the sense of official representation) until events overtook HMG.

It appears that the PM said in March that he would attend a commemoration at Caen in a bit of a climb-down from the original 'no official recognition' position:

Link (http://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/british-government-reconsiders-its-decision-over-d-day-veterans/)

Note that the PM's spokesman thought only in terms of heads of government, rather than heads of state - one suspects that the French assumed that the invitation they despatched would see HMQ appear, representing the UK and Canada (and the Aussies and Kiwis who participated in the air aspects of the Normandy campaign) as you get four heads of state in one with that invitation.

I would go so far as to suggest that the French are probably rather horrified at the fact that the inept handling of the invitation means that we have two heads of state and a head of government (who may wish to be out of the country on 5th June...) leaving one key nation in the invasion force with no head of state/head of govt representation at all...

The Mail's usual eagerness to have a pop at our cross channel neighbours has, I would contend, let Mr Brown somewhat off the hook since it seems most probable that no snub was intended. In that scenario, this farago is all down to the failure (unwillingness??) in Downing Street to comprehend that while Messrs Sarkozy and Obama are both heads of state and of government, Mr Brown is not, and someone in his organisation should've ensured that HMQ was at least asked if she wished to go.

PPRuNeUser0139
2nd Jun 2009, 05:00
BBC NEWS | UK | Obama 'wants Queen D-Day invite' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8078294.stm)

On Sunday Gordon Brown said the event was intended for prime ministers and presidents, rather than royals.

What's that expression..? If you're in a hole, stop digging..

It rumbles on..

BEagle
2nd Jun 2009, 06:37
That fool Brown is no doubt hoping that he will be able to scuttle off to France and keep his head down, so won't be around to answer all the demands for him to call a General Election after he and his cronies receive a monumental ar$e-kicking from the electorate in the local and European Parliament elections on Thursday.

His latest pompous utterances over the D-day commemoration merely serve to confirm what an abysmal 'leader' he truly is. Candidate for the 'JCB trophy' for digging himself the biggest hole of the year?

America's elected black president is a far better statesman than the UK's unelected brown prime minister!

taxydual
2nd Jun 2009, 06:58
To watch Broon's pronouncment, on the Andrew Marr programme on Sunday, that 'If the Queen wished to go, that he would make certain she could' made my blood boil.

A cheap and tawdry attempt to put HM in a hole. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd Jun 2009, 09:15
It may be my paranoia but it seems that HM has been increasingly marginalised by the Noo Labia regime. After Brown's proposed diversionary (or scorched earth, perhaps) move on consitutional "reform", I wouldn't be surprised if she's made yet more detached from govenment. Making the Monarch irrelevant would be a "useful" prelude to creating a republic.

It is easy to confuse bumbling stupidity with Machiavellian brilliance.

mikip
2nd Jun 2009, 09:42
Holywood has been telling us for decades that America won the second world war single handed looks like the rest of the world including our own 'government' have finally strted to believe them

PPRuNeUser0139
2nd Jun 2009, 10:31
GBZ:
except in this particular case I suspect that there is a strong groundswell of public opinion towards the Monarch's attendance in her different roles as Head of State, the Commonwealth and the military - three key functions that the terminally clueless Scottish person doubtless covets.
sv

airborne_artist
2nd Jun 2009, 10:44

However, the British public are not that stupid in that department. Poor diet, bad taste in clothes, propensity to borrow to excess, but they get and are sure of the fact that the Queen is the vrai grande fromage when it comes to this type of event.

parabellum
2nd Jun 2009, 10:47
Must not forget that Sarkozy and his wife, Brown and to a lesser degree Obama, are all left of centre and are happy to contribute to an occasion that quite openly ignores a monarchy.

What would be much nicer is if the Queen arranged a big 'Do' on the southern shores of England the day before and invited all the people that mattered, WW2 veterans from the USA, Canada, UK, France, indeed all participating countries and as many European 'Royals' who could make it plus lots and lots of military and left the politicians to their own miserable affair in France.

pax britanica
2nd Jun 2009, 10:50
Sarkozy left of centre
Are you insane
PB

cazatou
2nd Jun 2009, 10:56
p b

Would "slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun" be more to your way of thinking? You must be a Public Sector Union man.

Archimedes
2nd Jun 2009, 11:31
Referring to the link on the last page

(Obama wants Queen at Normandy commemorations - Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8078294.stm))

I would guess that this might get things moving... The Obamas (particularly Mrs) seem rather fond of the Queen - as per the photocall when they visited - and given that the French have said HMQ has always been welcome, this probably means she'll be there. Can't see the PM or No.10 blocking a direct request from POTUS, somehow...

[edit because of inadvertant premature use of submit button...]

GPMG
2nd Jun 2009, 12:44
'invited all the people that mattered, WW2 veterans from the USA, Canada, UK, France, indeed all participating countries'

So that includes the Germans then?
Get them across to the south coast and they can get an idea of how Op Sealion may have worked out.

overweight item
2nd Jun 2009, 13:03
Let's be clear where lies the responsibility for the proper treatment of our Head of State, it is not with other states and governments but with our own. This is the text of a message this SLF sent to No.10 last Friday under the heading "D Day Celebrations"

Mr Brown you, her Prime Minister, are either guilty of the most appalling snub to HMQ by attending in her stead or alternatively a serious diplomatic bungle in not ensuring that she was properly invited. You are consistently incompetent. Please go.

doubledolphins
2nd Jun 2009, 14:01
Just been anounced that PoW is to attend. Be interesting to see if President Brown tries to take precidence over Charlie on the day.

Am I correct in saying that Brown said on the Andrew Marr show at the week end that it was a ceremony for "Presidents and Prime Ministers"? If so the guy should hang his miss informed big head in shame. I am aware of no such cermonial event ever taking place. Political events yes. But not State. Next thing is we will all have a port cullis replacing the crown on our cap badges.

PPRuNeUser0139
2nd Jun 2009, 14:23
How much more of Brown's unrelenting dullness do we need to witness? This latest surely demonstrates for the last time the sheer folly of a system that allows an unelected Prime Minister to take office. I'm sure that the Queen will make clear her views to the Great Northern Lummox at his weekly meeting with her. He has all the diplomacy one normally associates with a bull in a china shop. If we here can all see what needed to be done - why was it so difficult for him? :ugh:
So now PoW has got the job..
Prince of Wales to attend 65th D-Day anniversary - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/5428769/Prince-of-Wales-to-attend-65th-D-Day-anniversary.html)
Will GB still be attending?

MarkD
3rd Jun 2009, 00:50
Apparently the Governor-General will attend (http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/422199). As for refreshments there, if the French forget gas for the stove, never fear, she'll eat it anyway (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/this-country/in-relishing-seal-heart-jean-showed-grace/article1156445/).

phil gollin
3rd Jun 2009, 07:31
"Apparently the Governor-General will attend (http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/422199). "

Good

phil gollin
3rd Jun 2009, 07:36
"Holywood has been telling us for decades that America won the second world war single handed looks like the rest of the world including our own 'government' have finally strted to believe them"

On a serious point, there is an increasingly obvious absence of true historical knowledge in today's media (be it "modern" or "ancient").

I've lost track of the number of times basic errors have been spoken as historical facts. When one comes to actual interpretation of historical events there is obviously room for disagreement, but most reporters and editors seem to rely on a single "popularist" text and hence often spout rubbish.

When it comes to WW2 the "Hollywood" version is now almost becoming the "real" one.

Pathetic.

John Botwood
3rd Jun 2009, 09:49
I have just returned from the south coast of Oz. My friends' town had been infested with a double plague of oysters and prawns and we had to cross the Great Dividing Range with an adequate antidote of Champagne - ooops, we can't say that anymore; sorry "Sparkling White" and Guiness.

After DCO, we were very surprised to see the news.

My Dad arrived off the shores of Normandy early in the morning of June 6th 1944 and he did not have an invitation - mind you, as they say; there were no French around to check if he had.

John B