View Full Version : Emirates Utilities Cap

BigGeordie
26th May 2009, 14:31
Effective from the first of next month (5 days from now) Emirates are introducing a cap of 21,600 Dhs a year for water and electricity bills for those in company housing. If you use more than that it will be deducted from your salary. I don't live in a villa but I would imagine that 21,600 a year isn't over generous if you have any grass in your back yard or more than a couple of people living in your villa. Maybe we could use our pay rise or profit share to pay it? Oh, hang on.....

This is cleverly disguised as an “EmVironment” Programme. So it has nothing to do with cost cutting, obviously, and is entirely for our own good.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Oblaaspop
26th May 2009, 15:48
This is a blatant change to the contract! It is agreed that the company will provide ALL utilities in company accommodation.

Yet again, a completely ridiculous time scale (ie. 4 days notice), with absolutely no information to go by (facility to check historical bills not available yet)!

I am fortunate to live in one of the larger company villas (4500 sq ft, 5 beds etc), now I reckon I'm gonna be severely out of pocket each year as through no fault of my own, I'll be way above the 'average' consumption just in AC use alone! For gods sake, they should at least provide us with ceiling fans, and timers for the water heaters etc. (or give us time to have them installed!)

And another thing, why the hell can't they just be honest and say its a company cost saving measure.. why do they have to treat us like morons and pretend its a government initiative to protect the environment BULLCRAP!! M.F has gone on record as saying that he doesn't believe in man being responsible for global warming (along with Jeremy Clarkson I totally agree, buts thats another story)

Tossers!

Trader
26th May 2009, 16:02
Anyone in the Ranches etc who would like to give us their yearly stats/costs?? Somehow I think this 'cap' will be on the very low side!!

Jet II
26th May 2009, 16:14
I dont think that 21,000 is that ungenerous if it is just for Elect and water.

But if it includes the Housing Fee that is paid to DEWA then it may not cover the full costs for many.

bus787
26th May 2009, 16:16
WHAT does this have to do with the environment?
So if you have a swimming pool you have to switch the pumps off to save electricity? and the fridge?and the AC?
For ENVIRONMENTS SAKE can these guys admit they are running short of cash supplies???

Payscale
26th May 2009, 16:27
Are you charged the LOCAL rate or the EXPAT rate?

Trader
26th May 2009, 17:34
Thanks for that--so it may be fairly accurate for the DSO villas.

Dropp the Pilot
26th May 2009, 18:22
..... for a four-bedroom villa are 1400 month annualized ie. double that in August, half that in January.

Water adds up quickly if you have a large lawn or a pool or enjoy having your driveway dust-free.

a345xxx
27th May 2009, 02:55
WOW! You guys have pools in your villas! Nice.:ok:

Not from here
27th May 2009, 02:58
FYI,
I live in 5 bedroom Arabian Ranches with pool and small garden, total plot size 7500 sqft . I have paved a lot and have reduced the grass area, 3 adults in the house,
We are very careful with water and aircon usage everything on timers and aircon set at 24deg c,
No washing of paths, cars out of a bucket and no doors open with aircon on. I have also used door seals etc around the house.

The last 12 months have a total DEWA bill of 24462.95 ( not including Housing fee) so monthly average 2038,

Some things you will need to consider the water is charged in slabs so above 6000 gal a month price goes up from 3 fil to 3.5 and above 12000 to 4 fils a gallon you also pay for sewerage which is 0.5 fils which is calculated on the water you use (always been a mystery) ie 12000 gals of water in 12000 gals of sewerage out, our water consumption for me is around 30,000 per month so is a pretty constant charge of 1100 dhms a month,
Electricity is around 3000 units in the winter peaking to 8000 units in August so the aircon are a big cost again they run a slab system of charging 24 fils 2000/4000 28fils 4000-6000 > 6000 33 fils

Not sure if the company will charge the Housing fee which those of us on the outside pay it varies greatly but as far as I can tell is based on 5% ( though I have no official documents) of the rentable, However some pay some do not !!! Mine is 9300 per year,

Think you need to ask ED that one as if you are paying water Elect and Housing fee, then the 21600 will leave you well out of pocket.
It would seem that 25000 would be a fair figure for a medium size Villa though think they should look at where you live ie apartment or large Villa a pro rate it, and also there is different system for nationals they either pay nothing or have a reduced slab system not sure how that will effect EK National pilots that live in company accommodation.

As for the reason being purely green, if you believe that I have some really good real estate investments you may want to consider

Keep discovering

Masha
27th May 2009, 03:42
You guys are spoilt rotten:rolleyes: Come to where we work and tell us you have it better:=

kiwi
27th May 2009, 05:12
Masha, I don't care what kind of crap contract you accepted!
I took a job, miles from home that contracted to supply certain conditions.
This was one of them.
How do you react when your crap job gets even crappier???

EKASR mute
27th May 2009, 06:22
I have read the latest email regarding how we are supposed to contribute to the environmental policy (and save the company money) and I am completely aghast by this latest attempt to erode the contract I entered into with EK which states that all out utilities are provided.

It is clear that the excuse by the company to use the government’s policy on the environment is a load of tosh. Why, because they would have given us a cap based upon average Kw and literage used and NOT the Dhs21,600 stated. If we had a target of volume to achieve, then we would know where we stood and could make amends to our lifestyle to achieve that.

Why is this an issue; simplistic rampant inflationary rises in the cost of utilities will mean this is directly passed onto us… and we will all eventually pay for these utilities. Here are but a few examples to prove this; the rise in school fees has seen another hit taken by those with children with no change to the company ESA, inflationary busting RPI figures occurring for consumer products with no bonus (understandable given the profit that the bosses must share) however the incremental yearly pay increase has been declined based on all our individual performances being poor for this year, etc ,etc, etc..

If the government were serious about environmental issues, the water leaking all over the road on the way to Mirdiff for a few days last week would have been repaired immediately instead of the 5 days it actually took.

This is clearly about reducing the contractual package ie cost to EK; for if it was about the environment then the target would be the volume used and not the cost... EK management, you must stop insulting the average person’s intelligence because when the market picks up, all your brainless policies aimed at eroding our contracts might just bite you in the behind!!
:ugh:

I Love Midex
27th May 2009, 06:22
At Midex in Al Ain, you are told to either accept the new terms or you're fired. After all, there is a stack of "2000 CV's" of people just waiting to take your position...

sanddune 1
27th May 2009, 06:34
Gentlemen, I am absolutely beside myself with this latest addition to the Emirates obvious cost cutting scheme !!! As you can all see from my post, I am new to PPrune as well as to Emirates. I left my other flying job (which was deteriorating into pure crap!) dragged self & family to what I thought was a greener pasture, with better opportunity, and a great contract, - Only to watch with utter disbelief, my contract be completely dissasembled, eroded, taken away, and lets face it blatently "broken" !!!
Since joining some months ago, we have lost our ALD, overtime, days off, rostering reg's, housing allowance, meal allowance at some destinations, and now - in a place where Im finding it damn difficult to make ends meet with my constantly declining FO salary, and constantly increasing inflation, they want to cap my water and Electricity !!!!! And at a cap that seems is so low, it would'nt cover a person living in a one bedroom flat comfortably? !!! Something has to give!!!!! I am seriously considering legal action, as I am sure I have a case - what with all the complete breaks in the Terms & Conditions of my contract !!!!

I don't know if it has been done here before, but I cannot live with this current climate (no pun intended) here at Emirates!!!!!
I did not come here to sweat my ass off in the desert for a low wage, crap conditions - in a contract that "the managment" seems able to change at a moments (oh, sorry - not even a moments notice do they give us!!!) notice, only to now be told "You will now pay for anything over 21600dhs on your utilities bills" What the hell is this place coming too?

We came to Emirates because it was considered "The premier carrier" in the Middle East, but at this rate it seems they will soon be the worst!!!!

If EK wants to save a little $dingee on Elec&Water, put out some communication on how to do it, maybe some reccomendations, practices, articles. Maybe give a little incentive for guys to cut back a little. Tell our collegues who are way, way, way over the "usual average amount" to cut back a bit, but do not just come in and implement some ridiculous "cap" for everyone. Thats just plain "cap crap" !!!

Whats next? I guess they will start charging me 10% interest on my "interest free" car loan - and make it retro-active!!!! Damn! I've given them a great idea!!! I am going to "consult" with a legal advisor, there has to be some recourse for us, because this whole thing is spiralling down and there does'nt seem to be any stop in sight.

Pissed off in my Sanddune!:ouch:

fatbus
27th May 2009, 07:30
This is just another indication that a contract in the middle east does not mean anything.More changes to come.

fatigueflyer
27th May 2009, 08:10
There are 4 of us plus my helper and her husband in a 4 bedroom villa, plus maid's room/kitchen. The average cost is about Dhs 1500 during winter and Dhs 2500 during summer averaging about Dhs 25000 per year. Therefore the allowance is a little on the low side but still not too much out of pocket for me (Dhs 283 a month). We have a pretty large garden (70 sq m) and water is included in the bill too. Hope this helps. As for sanddune 1, you are a little extreme about your views as I have also lived in a 3 bedroom apartment on Sheikh Zayed Rd paying rent and DEWA on my own and the monthly bills (A/C on 24/7) were averaging about Dhs 800 so plenty in reserve. Perhaps you have outlived your expectations here and should look elsewhere where bills are a little cheaper, in another country, in another job. Good luck!

thehulk
27th May 2009, 09:05
Hey Fatigueflyer... I've already started looking! Thanks for the input.
However, I simply expect people to honor their contract with me, and you!
I don't look for ways to say, "well - its not too bad, I just have to cut back here, and here, and here." And I will only be out of pocket "this much". Thats crap. You are managments dream! They can keep taking, and taking, and you will just look for ways to justify it!! Sorry, I have some sense of what's right and whats's wrong and I was not brought up to just "deal with it, & put up with it". When an employee has most of the "perks" in his contract rescinded just a few months after joining, I can just imagine what it will be like to spend a "career" here!! If no-one stood up to evil and tyranny, this world would be a much different place!!:=

allaru
27th May 2009, 09:21
Said spam is probably deleted already, so I didnt get to read it, but as I was passing one of our managers S-classes, you know the ones with the driver in Emirates uniform, I got to thinking does this affect all grades in villa accommodation, or is it just us pilots.

I would of thought that the theft of our overtime would have been a fair contribution to the given situation, but I guess enough is never enough around here.

point8four
27th May 2009, 09:55
Gents (and Ladies)

It's a more than convenient excuse (current global economic situation) for package erosion. "We, the management, valued you at so much last year, this much this year and that much next year." "What you mean you don't like?" "You have job, now work, yes?"

Erosion is just that, do you think the list of things that have been recinded will be replaced when the big wheel turns?
It's blatant knee jerking from departmental (note the "mental") heads to justify their salaries, postions and bonus'... anyone with an inside track in payroll? I'd love to see payments and salary deductions of SVP's and above. It's easier to divide $400m 200 ways than 35000.

Right, now turn your aircons off, the sweating will assist in the reduction of your BMI's and remember to catch your sweat in buckets to water your gardens. It's part of the "greener solution".-

I think there might be some postion vacant signs in the near future.

It's called Creative Shafting "how to replace vaseline with sand and get away with it"

fourgolds
27th May 2009, 10:44
Sandune1.
The good news is that your training bond is now null and void.

max AB
27th May 2009, 12:24
And just remember that VP's and above in the relative departments share as an incentive bonus, 5% of demonstated cost savings. With this new initiative and the overtime scam, that would add up to be quite considerable I would suspect.... Share the pain...?

Mister Warning
27th May 2009, 12:42
Empire,
Add to that always using the shortest available runway intersection departure for the laptop.
Makes the chances of screwing up on taxi and losing your job as a consequence virtually Emirates (fool) proof.
Extra fuel/EGT - like I care!

CAVnotOK
27th May 2009, 15:39
Enough is enough.

It's now getting to the point where it really doesn't matter where we are geographically in the world, and how much power we don't have when it comes to standing up for ourselves and for the contracts we signed.

Emirates simply cannot function, and exist without it's pilot body. It can be as simple as every pilot calling in sick for 1 flight in an agreed month, and everyone else remaining uncontactable unless of course on reserve.

I don't know if the above example is the right answer, but the way I see it we have just 3 choices. 1. Just bend over a bit further and continue to take it, but have no right to complain. 2. Quit, just walk away and remove ourselves and our families from the harsh, continued downhill slide in the dust. or 3. Fight Back, They cannot operate the airline without us. They have taken too much from us.

I am interested to hear how many guys are going to opt for 1, 2, or 3, and welcome suggestions for us as a united group to move forward.

I think we have to seriously consider options now that is going to make Emirates sit up and take some notice, and give very serious thought to the severe contract adjustments they have inflicted in a very short space of time. This is what they have done whist the company is making very, very healthy profit.

Cheers.

mensaboy
27th May 2009, 15:45
I only have one source for the following information, so it might not be completely accurate.

In a meeting today at HQ, The Talking Horse was at a loss to explain the new policy in spite of the fact he signed off on the memo sent to all pilots. (seriously, if you were this guys boss, you could make him do ANYTHING! The man has no soul. Anyhow, there were some interesting discussions regarding certain aspects of this new policy.

One- Now wait for it.......... this policy only affects PILOTS in company VILLAS!

Two- Non-pilots are not aware of this policy because no one else has been notified. The entire policy discussion came as a big surprise to those present.

Three- it was mentioned that such a policy is in direct contradiction to our contracts. The response..... don't worry they won't do anything about it.

Four- Those employees above our pay grade are also not affected.

Five- Someone who actually had seen the FAQ's on the Portal, questioned who had asked those questions, since apparently no one knew about the policy beforehand. The response...... Emirates employees were surveyed and management was generous to respond to the queries.

I tell ya! Bad management in good times is barely acceptable, but in bad times, these clowns ruin people's lives and thankfully they sow the seeds of their own demise. The proverbial ****e has now hit the fan. I would like to be the first to wave bye-bye to Ed and TCAS. I wish AAR could be relegated to a different job, but that is not likely.

You got to be a nutcase to want to join EK, things will never return to normalcy here.

blorgwinder
27th May 2009, 16:36
Mensa boy: hate to break it to you mate but I got the letter today, i live in compnay accomodation but am not tech crew.

kiwi
27th May 2009, 16:38
In the Captains Lecture I attended, one brave soul asked that as we were "sharing the pain" during this recession, to help the company through a bad time, could the management confirm that the conditions would return to normal when the recession ended. The answer was no! :suspect:
Sharing the pain, bollocks. These are straight grab at conditions of employment. They obviously see us as a group of limp di*ks who'll never stand up against anything.
One person is driving this and it ain't TCAS or the talking horse!

sanddune 1
27th May 2009, 17:17
And let me see if I can answer that for you simply. I joined in the second half of last year, - right as Emirates was; I guess, coming out of the pilot shortage. So, the guys that I knew here told me that, yes...Emirates has its little share of problems as a carrier, but no worse than anywhere else. They were all still "reeling" from the 14 weeks bonus you all recieved,..and so things were still basically good. Good job security, good overtime after 78 hrs, good housing (till I got here!) Good chance to upgrade on a widebody - since Emirates has all these wonderful planes on order!!!! I had heard about EK doing "some" less than desireable things, -- but not the kind of blatant disregard, and complete & utter disrespectful stance, of not honoring anything that's in our contract with them.

This is ludicrous!!! What Emirates doesn't realise is that, when word of all these "breaches of contract" reaches pilots in all parts of the world who are "looking" - they will not get the quality or number of qualified pilots they need to come. Airlines have to remember that economic times are "cyclical" But people "remember"!!!

:ouch::ouch::ouch:

yardman
27th May 2009, 17:25
This is the first time to my knowledge that they've violated the 'black and white' of the contract. All the other stuff was in the Employee Handbook etc. I remember going to a pilot meeting some time back, chaired by our esteemed EVP, and he said that whilst they my amend the employee regs from time to time (this was when we stopped getting credit for vacation , sim etc), they would NEVER violate the black and white of our contract. This violation is a clear legal breech of contract. It doesn't affect me directly as I live out, but I'm just as angry as everyone else.

If we let it stand the precedent will be established. What I suggest every affected person do as a first step is: email the Horse, quoting the relevant paragraph of our contract, and ask him on what legal basis has the company decided to violate the letter of our contract. Then, if that doesn't work, I suggest legal action or possibly the Ministry of Labour be contacted. Call me naive but I really don't think we can be persecuted for defending our legal right. Even in the sandpit. But this must be done as individuals lest we be accused of trying to form the dreaded "U".

Just my two fils worth.

ruserious
27th May 2009, 19:01
Lets not forget this will be the usual incremental shafting, the 'target' dhs allocation will not change, or if it does, it will do so very little. Over the years the percentage to pay will increase, as the actual DEWA charges escalate :ugh:

The Real Pink Baron
28th May 2009, 01:00
A lot of you know who I am, I had done 17 years with EK, and honored my side of the contract to the best of my ability (otherwise your fired!) Now I have left they have changed the: Long Service Concessions, so that it is now virtually useless to us. A big financial kick in the backside.
Even though I have a contract with their signature and mine on it, it is no longer worth the paper it is written on.
Good luck to you all, trying to fight a change of contract from within, I don’t stand a chance!
P.S.Retirment is GREAT, regards and best wishes to all of you.

Wiley
28th May 2009, 02:07
Pink Baron, care to go into detail about how they've nobbled the post retirement concession travel benefits? I'm sure there'd be a few here who'd like to know about that.

captainsmiffy
28th May 2009, 04:07
Solution to the problem is very simple......don't do anything aviation related until your published report time! That'll make them stop and think. I am always in the cockpit by my so say 'report time' - have never really figured how this is legal......

The Real Pink Baron
28th May 2009, 07:21
Hi Wiley
Our daughter (19) in Uni in Australia was hoping to go to Europe on a Uni project. As part of “my” contract she is entitled to a free J/F ticket. Now she has to “buy” a Y ticket or wait until I am 60 to travel. So she will only be eligible for one year of tickets instead of 4. (23 year old limit now) You can imagine what she calls EK! I didn’t know she knew those sorts of words! I am very sad, as this was one of the things we were looking forward to. My wife and I will probable never use our concessions, but now our kids can’t either.

Khaosai
28th May 2009, 13:27
Hi,

the memo is to "All UAE based staff in company provided villas". It does not affect the guys/girls in apartments.

It then makes reference to the electricity and water consumption in company provided villas.

Pretty clear to me, will be very interested to see my monthly/annual DEWA bill when it becomes available online.

The frequently asked questions part is pretty funny, as mentioned above, when and to whom where the questions directed.

GMDS
28th May 2009, 15:52
I miss the whining of all those without kids, in appartments that will not be affected by this new rule. Whining that they are again on a different package than those with brats in villas!!!
(maybe the silence is because it works to their benefit this time)

I couldn't miss that one for sure, sorry ... but I am just as p!$$ed off than all the others.

Well, now it's all over with any goodwill. Any fuel saved will go into their dish-dashs, no matter how much profit they'll admit, so it's a no brainer with the actual fear orgie:
Everything to my safety benefit and nothing more than what goes directly into my pocket.

Bravo TC and AAR, you made me starting to act like a union jerk. This is to prove that you can achieve this from both ends .....

troff
28th May 2009, 16:54
Roger Dat GMDS.
Too bad for dat but awl da knee-jerking is now starting to rock da boat.
Habout time, eh?
But don' worry. Flight dek morale is at a all time high. Hits a fackt!
Dis stuff wit dat water an' power is jus a "red 'erring" to get us to stop tawlking habout da odder stuff like MAN, MEL, etc...
Keep spending, while you still can...
Keep drinking da purple kool-aid.
Keep bend-overing.
Der's an elephant in the room...
T

alwayzinit
28th May 2009, 16:58
This utilities cap is a breech of contract, but that has been covered by other posters.
The cap itself has been very badly thought out simply coming up with an "average" figure immediatley damns at least half of those in their ASSIGNED villas to coughing up extra.
No consideration or mention as been made of villas with say insulation, the newer ones may have it but the older ones do not, or the efficiency of the A/C units fitted by the landlord/developer.
A one price fits all simply does not work, legal issues not withstanding.
As already stated the final straw.

Question: how do you fly over 100+ shiny jets when all your drivers airframe have gone to pastures new or just said bollocks to this and taken up the "Good Life" at home?

What a cake and @rse party:ugh:

hotcurry
28th May 2009, 17:03
Just got my DEWA bill.

Calculated Feb 08 till Feb 09...
Water 11095.3
Elec 14875.7
Total 25971

1 young child and a new baby and no extra's in garden.
Sounds pretty average to me, but apparently not.

Well done EK you out did yourself this time :ugh:

Buford
28th May 2009, 18:50
Got our DEWA bill for last 12months. Calculated April 2008-March 2009. Family of four, no live-in maid, no added balcony/patio rooms, no pool, larger than average garden (EK issued villa, not exactly our doing!) and our bill is 26,935DH for the year. So much for the average.

another_EK_pilot
28th May 2009, 20:04
So is anyone going to say something at these Management Briefings we are rostered for??
I see we are told to expect to see different cars picking us up.... that will be next....Taxi to work!

TangoUniform
28th May 2009, 20:48
Been off the board for awhile. Wow this little deal has hit a nerve or is it just the straw and the camel. As Sandune 1 has started to list, would someone like to in a readable list form, list and number all of the T & Cs that have changed for the worse? From annexing flights and ADs to this POS policy. Might make for some interesting reading. Please include operational deals too, like loss of paper manuals or whatever you think might be a downgrade. I cannot even begin to amass such a list. Go back just one year from the last bonus to now. Let's have some fun and just get really pissed off.:*

max AB
29th May 2009, 00:01
Donkey, its very easy, no one ever bids for those destinations at EK so you would have no competition. A bit of competition for Glasgow though....

As for the utilities, HR are responsible for the management of contracts, start by bombarding them with complaints and questions.

Hook
29th May 2009, 04:34
Buford, If you're in a company villa, how did you get your DEWA bill? Is there a way? I'm curious to know what our consumption is.

pissedoffpilotek
29th May 2009, 06:56
I just took my own meter reading so I can make sure that I'm not being completely screwed at the end of the year! Take a photo then you have proof next year when you get someone else's bill.

The memo apparently applies to all EK staff in villas, yet i have asked a doctor and it does not apply to them. Also does not apply to VP's in the same villas, so I guess they are not EK staff. Presumably local pilots in company villas will also be exempt as they have the local discounts.

I was under the impression that due to the fact our landlords were local, EK only paid the discounted rate ie 75% discount on the utilities. Can this be confirmed by anyone?
I guess the delay in getting our bills is due to recalculating what we would have paid.
I'm sure that EK have now told DEWA that there are now expats living in these villas so the charges will be increased to the expat level, and we will be charged above what EK are paying. Instead of them getting the local bill, recalculating, and then charging us for something they never paid!!

Might be completely wrong!!!

who knows in this wonderful land

Buford
29th May 2009, 06:59
Our meter box is out the front of the villa. On the front is a 9 digit number. Call DEWA 04 601 9999, quote the number and ask them to email/fax you the last 12mths statement. Had mine within 10mins of speaking to someone.

Hook
29th May 2009, 07:27
Thanks Buford

Also does not apply to VP's in the same villas

Wasn't it Captain America who wrote in the paper that we're treated like Vice-Presidents? :mad:

halas
29th May 2009, 10:59
1. As stated before, using the 'average' consumption as a limit just proves how intellectually challenged HR are.
Their budgeting means they pocket from the low end users. Oh, and they profit from the high end users as well! What a surprise :=
Maybe they are not so dumb after all....

2. Assisting employees with refitting their accommodation with solar hot water heaters, ceiling fans, more energy efficient AC units, double glazing, insulation, etc, etc, would go a long way to portray a good corporate image as eco-warriors that EK now profess to be...NOT!!!!

3. DEWA. Emirates, Dubai Municipality etc, are all one and the same (Or one and the same family;) ).
What is with all the bullsh!t about the environment, when these qunts can't even spell it.
Prophet however is much easier to spell, but harder to sell.

4. Each crew can easily add what ever it costs in extra DEWA, bills per month, to each and every flight they operate.
Are management really that stupid to think that they can pinch a few dirhams off us each month and it won't cost them?
Each time you come to a point of decision that hinges on a frame of mind, almost all will err on the side of safety (otherwise known as, fuk 'em) which is exactly as TCAS and the talking horse are advocating at the moment.

Rant over.

halas

fatbus
29th May 2009, 13:14
And, if my bill comes in under the average am I going to leave the door open or lights on or water the garden even more? YES.

You can just imagine the bean counters that came up with idea. All they are concerned with is looking important and keeping their job.

sanddune 1
29th May 2009, 14:33
Emirates, you are screwing yourself!!!

Recently flew with a fairly longtime captain here (9+yrs) and the guy had a little "star" on his jacket. He was so pissed off and upset (even more than me) - if you can believe that. He was saying that Emirates has changed so much over the last 10 years that he no longer recognises it.
The airline is a shell of its former self and that a long time ago, the pilots & managment had a pretty good "working relationship". Points were discussed, reccomendations were put forth by both sides, feedback was requested on policies (B4 they were implemented!), input was asked for, etc.. It was a two way street, and guys were comfortable with the process. It has gotten so bad now, and deteriorated so terribly that he "welcomed a union"!!! Or at least some sort of "pilot body" that could at least meet with Mngmnt to discuss things, etc.. so that at least "the pilots" perspective was known and our interests looked out for. They (managment) have such a great resource and wealth of information in US!
But they dont use it !! All they do these days is try to see how un-happy they can make us, and how they can screw us more. He was really not a happy camper at all.

So, we operated our flight on a Work to rule basis!!!
No short cuts, No discression, No savings, ---- period !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is so sad that it has come to this.

I am really considering my options now, because almost every "incentive"
that made the move out here to Dubai worth while, -- is gone - or going.
It's really sad for me to feel this way, especially as new here to EK as I am. I never thought I would feel this way so soon. You are supposed to feel happy & excited joining a new carrier, - the opportunity!, the advancement!, the Future! But it has been sucked out of me by this managment so quickly, that I am still in shock.
I wonder if the Sheik knows what is going on ?
I wonder how one goes about getting an "audience" with him ?
Anyone know ?

On another note, a friend is going to get some "legal advice" from a local attorney about this whole blatent changing of our contract with the DEWA bill excess being paid by the employee now.
I will post the findings when I get it.

Sad in my sanddune:(

7x7
29th May 2009, 15:18
Those saying they're considering "their options" must understand that they are playing into the beancounters' "cunning plan", (thank you Baldrick), because from their point of view, your leaving will be an advantage to their bottom line. You and I know it's totally stupid, but in their minds, it's good economics.

If you're an FO, they'll replace you with a new one on a slightly lesser salary who'll have to be in the RHS that much longer before he/she has the time in company to be eligible for upgrade, so the next necessary upgrades will go to DECs. If you're a captain, they'll replace you with a DEC who'll come in at the captain's base year one salary, so they save all those (this year, nonexistent) annual increments.

You and I know it's stupid, but they know a monkey can be trained to fly these planes we fly. Anyone can do it. Just ask them; they'll tell you.

a345xxx
29th May 2009, 15:49
Sorry 7X7 got to disagree. Just because you can train monkeys to be in management doesn't mean you can train them to be pilots. :)

allaru
29th May 2009, 16:08
Just checked my consumption which is running at 11900kw/hr per month, or 3390dhs. (rusty pliers required to bust the meter box open-be sure to lock it again)

Water running at 3gal/hr with nothing using water, ie thats just jinglie construction leakage and faulty float valves in the tanks.

I figure the bill will be about 4500dhs per month, so I can expect to make the company a bonus payment of 24k each year. Make no mistake this is a money making scheme designed to screw more money out of (formally) loyal employees.

Living in one room most of the time with average appliances running, which are all insignificant anyway as its the ACs which consume the bulk of the power.

These places are constructed by locals on the basis of free utilities so no consideration is given to costs associated with insulation or more efficient appliances and cooling systems. Cant recall having seen any solar hot water systems around here. We will now pay for it.

I ask again who does this apply to, already someone mentioned doctors, VPs ext. Don't believe what the horse writes he is as uninformed as the rest of us.

Might consider sending the family back to cilivization, and spend my hard earned wages, and education allowance there rather than here.

All this talk of unions, go slows, work to rule, bar humbug... it won't happen.

The options are take it, or pack your bongos and lute and Foxtrot Oscar.

Wiley
29th May 2009, 16:09
a345xxx, I think you missed the first phrase of 777's last paragraph "you and I know it's stupid" and his tongue firmly in his cheek. I think you'll find that there are people in management who actually believe what 777 said.

Payscale
29th May 2009, 16:16
I smell a rat!
The amount of 21800 AED is probably the average if EK paid the expat rate. Since its a local that owns the villa, the amount charged EK is much less.

Someone has been creative with a calculator...

Smoke and mirrors again.

Sheikh Your Bootie
29th May 2009, 16:23
Habibis, fill TCAS and the horses e-mail boxes with polite e-mails stating your opinions.

They apparently don't read Pprune, so its the only way they can understand our complete frustration :mad: Don't whinge on here if you haven't written in.

Work to rule, is perfect IMO.

SyB :zzz:

Brutus 5
29th May 2009, 16:32
This is just the tip of the iceberg, hold on and brace yourselves, the only thing we can do as expats is "smile and wave" and OIC. Bend over and take it like a man or leave. Enjoy it while it lasts.:ugh:

haveago
30th May 2009, 09:00
Live in DSO family of four. Just checked with DEWA last years bill. 28000dhs total elec/water. Would not have thought anything but average users but still 7000 above the ''so called average??'' Does anyone else have figures to publish?

Exeasy
30th May 2009, 10:18
Live in DSO with wife , 1 child and one maid. average sized garden and our bill is 41000 you can just imagine my shock at that one. We are now living in accomodation with no AC and no lights on in the evening.

waldorfin
30th May 2009, 11:51
We cannot and must not accept this. I am personally out of accommodation but what is next? For those in company accommodation write write write. The Mel. incident had over 320 000 views. Keep this issue alive here until this policy is rescinded. When management make such decisions there is a calculated time of malcontent to deal with, but eventually it all blows away and voila the policy sticks. Lets prove them wrong this time. Remember this is HR's baby not flight ops. So get writing....

pintofstella
30th May 2009, 12:35
If it helps call DEWA 6019999, very helpful and will give you your bills for the last 12months over the phone. Again just for info, me and the wife , no kids in GDV, al bada 15600Dhs last 12 months. Just for the record i still totally disagree with the cap and especially the way it was communicated.

Cheers

Whygaf
30th May 2009, 14:24
For info, we have had the same Memo in Engineering and are equally :mad::mad:.Off to see HR tomorrow, for whatever good that will do me. Looking forward to being rostered on my next off day - and refusing!

Also, like all of you, we have had overtime changed, you now have to work 1 day as lieu hours per month before you qualify for OT payment on your next ovetime day, needless to say they try to avoid calling you in twice a month and when you want your lieu hours you cant have them, so in effect working for free!! Number of engineers have quit in the last 2 months and I expect more as and when things turn start to turn around.

Saltaire
30th May 2009, 15:26
Interesting pulling the environmental card having one of the largest per capita consumption and waste footprints in the world. I don't see a recycling bin anywhere outside our villa complex. We're all for a greener way of life, conservation and recycling, but who's setting the example? Is EK management, Emirates or the local community setting an example? := If so, correct me. How many solar panels do you see anywhere in a place with about 347 days of sun/year?

Once again, it's all under the guise of cost cutting. Unilateral breach of contract and conditions of service. Was the untold millions not enough with the change in productivity pay, let alone the 3% increment??

Like every other broad sweeping change, perhaps you geniuses could single out the odd high user at 40k/year and leave everyone else alone. 22500 for the last year, 4 plus maid.

CAVnotOK
30th May 2009, 15:59
Emirates has become an absolute disgrace over the past 12 months. I feel completely ashamed to be associated with this company now.

I really hope with the latest developments that it is finally enough for the flow of incoming resumes to stop, and their burning of contracts will bite them in the ass for a very long time to come.

Just trying to figure out if we will stick around for long enough to see it happen.

mensaboy
30th May 2009, 18:22
Unfortunately, the mass exodus of pilots and engineers (the 2 most important job descriptions in any airline) won't happen for another 1.5 to 2 years. And by then, the relationship between things such as the Utilities Cap and the 50 other negative changes to our T&C's, won't be acknowledged.

For the love of GOD, our managers can't even acknowledge the obvious LINK between T&C erosion and recent events which highlite flight safety issues. Is there any human being on the planet who thinks that our managers are even concerned about the erosion of our quality of life?

Mark my words, sometime in the future there will be a mass exodus of pilots from EK. It might take 2 years, but it will happen. It will be schmoozed over and the morons in charge at that point, will not understand why it is happening. Not only is Dubai in peril, EK is in peril.

We have had numerous near misses at this airline, and this is the luckiest airline in the world in that respect. The very first instance when there is an accident with loss of life, then the **** will definitely hit the fan. The UK, Europe, OZ and the USA will take the long overdue opportunity to denounce Ek or even suspend flying rights.

The writing is on the wall for this airline. If you ever have had the opportunity to see certain individuals with massive responsibility and no common sense, in action, you would agree. Unfortunately, the demise of this airline is inevitable.

Wish things were different. We should all be updating our CV's because you don't want to be in the middle of the pack when the gross negligence of our managers finally turns us into another Gulf Air. (no offense to the GA guys)

Niketwix
30th May 2009, 18:53
If you think the atmosphere is unpleasant now when we are making money, I'd hate to see it when EK turns in a loss. :eek:

pool
31st May 2009, 02:30
Don't simply complain, do something. By doing I mean add a straw.
Normal rev and no eng shut down, just let the odd minute pass before releasing brakes (delay), 180 to 10 160 to 4 .. no can do, got a lower level - who cares, Dubais gentlemens reserve is a constant now, etc
All these things might be peanuts, but they will be noted.
We should have the stats show a stop to all saving trend. That will be noted. We should link this in every discussion with higher ranks.
Just do the small thing that cannot be held against you, but will add to the total.
No one, I repeat, no one ever listens to you around here, they are all so circumspect and fantastic and we are all oh so nought. So our only way to be heard is to show trends, to make stats. Not the MEL/MAN/ACC stats, no! The ones they give us with the briefing package, the one about how much contingency was used overall, how much more uplift. Do the Go arounds, even if you only come close to the limits. A skipper just last week got a warning letter for a meager 2kts over the limit below 500ft, can you imagine that after having listened to the horse and WannabeScottie. What a f#cking contrast!!! The GAs will count. Pull the fatigue sickie, because if you dare throw in that you might have been a little tired with the third unwashed, they'll just say you should have ...

It has to be apparent to them. If they don't listen, we have to show them otherwise, even if this goes against our all professional ethics.
It will be to our benefit.

Very unhappy with the situation.

pool

Fred Garvin M.P.
31st May 2009, 06:57
Pool,
I totally agree that this new utilities cap is BS. I just called and we are running right at 27,000 Dhms ourselves. I've only heard of a handful that are actually below the cap. Most averages appear to be around 25 to 26 it seems.

I also agree with your concerns about management.

However, I do want to clarify your point of 2 knots over the limit below 500 feet. Are you saying the pilot was Vref + 22 knots below 500'? The target at 500' is Vref + 5 with the absolute MAX being Vref + 20. If he was Vref + 22, then he was 17 knots fast. There's a big difference between the target and the maximum allowable. The target at 500' is not Vref plus 20.

Oblaaspop
31st May 2009, 07:57
Was thinking the same thing myself about the speed!

I wouldn't want the family down the back with someone up front who thinks its perfectly acceptable to be Vref + 22. Now if it was inadvertent and he thought he was within the limits, then that's slightly different.... Take it on the chin and for the rest of your EK career, make sure you are fully configured by 2000'....... Simple! But stop crying foul when you screw up....:hmm:

Fix Info
31st May 2009, 09:37
While reading the air regulations recently, I noticed how much text is allocated to the added safety margins required for off-airways navigation. I recall an event a few years ago, where the pilots of an international airline, unanimously conducted all flights on published airways, according to the Company Flight Plan, and flew all approaches as full procedure when possible (ATC restrictions). The added cost for fuel was phenomenal, and the company quickly backed off whatever devious scheme the had promoted previously.

Fix Info
31st May 2009, 10:30
Just called DEWA. Here are the stats for my 4-bedroom bog-standard jumeirah villa circa 2000-vintage.

June 2008-May 2009: (2 adults, 2 kids, 30m2 grass and some plants).
Water: 134,146 = 4024 dhs
Electricity: 55858 = 11,160 dhs
Total year consumption: 15,184 dhs

The bill emailed to me shows zero charge for sewage.

FYI: I asked DEWA, and my villa is charged at expat rate. Elec for nationals are 7.5 fils per 1000kwh compared to 20 fils per 1000kwh for expatriates. Water is charged at 3fils/gal (4.55 liters) versus 0.2 fils per gallon.

My rate of being pissed off for breach of contract: 10/10. My feeling of slight relief that my lifestyle is not going to bite into my pay check: 3/10. Remaining balance of pissed off: 9/10.

I already wrote to Ed and displayed my dismay with the idiotic scheme. Besides the obvious contractual breach, it's a slap in the face that EK will save money on my back, without any benefit to me. If I save on utilities, and thereby supposedly save the environment, I should reap some benefit. Give me some of the savings as cash, and I'll have some incentive to really save. Next year I might very well accidentally forget to turn the faucet off when I go for 2 weeks leave. Ooooops, my 16000 dhs bill suddenly became 21,599 for the year. Childish behavior? Yes, you bet; but if they want to play childish sand-box toddler games, I know exactly how to play.

BigGeordie
31st May 2009, 10:36
It they are really interested in reducing consumption they would pay everybody the 21,600Dhs and let them sort out their own billing. This would be "cost neutral" as that is the average consumption, and it would save on administration.

As for running up a bill to 21,599 Dhs- yes it is childish but if you treat people like idiots that is what they will act like and I would expect to see quite a number of 21,599 Dhs bills next year.

Saltaire
31st May 2009, 11:10
Very good points, shall we plan some blow out pool parties doors open with AC on norwegian winter for next May? Childish post #1

IdleRetard
31st May 2009, 12:16
It they are really interested in reducing consumption they would pay everybody the 21,600Dhs and let them sort out their own billing. This would be "cost neutral" as that is the average consumption, and it would save on administration. If I save on utilities, and thereby supposedly save the environment, I should reap some benefit. Give me some of the savings as cash, and I'll have some incentive to really save. good points. The added cost for fuel was phenomenal, and the company quickly backed off whatever devious scheme the had promoted previously. This sort of thing will not work. single engine taxi. full reverse. configuring early.... other forms of protest. by all means do it but it won't change anything. no-one will notice the cost, it will never be told to any higher up that the pilots do this because they were unhappy about being screwed. never.

it will impact your sense of decency though. if you can live with this then do it but it'll only make you FEEL better.. no actual benefit.

what this utilities situation needs is to be taken to a law firm. UK/USA/Aust/NZ and a breach of contract industrial law specialist. let us know the name and contact of the firm so others can adopt the same tactic.

don't waste your bandwidth talking about how much fuel your gonna burn. everyone already does that and the managers don't care because there getting savings through transport, our prod salary cut, no 3%, utilities, etc. it is all about PERCEPTION. using fuel is not perceived as anything other than an ongoing expense. the idiotic fuel policy has already been pared down and savings cannot be made there. they will be targetting some other areas soon. i will post the list if you like or if people worry it just gives them ideas, i won't........

hombres, the utilities change is simply another way to get money out of YOU. the true average use is above the figure they created from thin air. you know this because you have seen the way they work and you know they are UNTRUSTWORTHY. you will find you "unfortunately" come in just above the average and have to pay a little. they want your money because they are GREEDY. they only made USD$400M last year.

next year the rates will go up. they cap will not go up. you will pay even more of your salary for something they promised to pay for you. they will "listen" to the complaints and promise to review it the year after that. that next year the cap will go up a little but timed so that that years rate increase is not absorbed.

and we will all get used to it.... that is what they count on.

now..... who wants the list?

fatbus
31st May 2009, 13:06
Everyone at DSO or DIC be just under the max and then on May 31st open all doors and windows turn up the AC and see if we can form fog. Childish post 2

TSHEKUDU
31st May 2009, 16:51
EK management only need to look at what happened when a mother needed blood the other week, and the amount of support she got.......So go on EK management," do what you have to".... WE WILL STAND TOGETHER:):):):)

Insh Allah
31st May 2009, 18:21
Stop complaining lads..Go get some solar collectors (photvoltaic) and flog it back to DEWA at a mark up...

TMR57
1st Jun 2009, 07:25
Just checked with DEWA, 32000.00dhs. DSO villa, wife, 1 child, 1 maid, small garden. This is nothing more than a money grab by EK plain and simple. If Dubai was the least bit interested in being enviornmentally "green" they wouldn't be planting "thirsty" tropical trees/folliage/grass etc. and trying to create a tropical garden like setting, but they do. They would plant dessert plants that require much less water (every plant/tree is irrigated to sustain life, otherwise everything would die). They would use solar as there is abundance of sun. This new policy just lets them get their "foot in the door" and as DEWA raises the rates, EK will not increase the utility cap and gradually we will just "assume" full responsibility for our own utilities. Last year average utility bill was over 700.00usd per month, (having come from a climate that was COLD in the winter, and HOT in the summer, my monthly bills were about 200.00usd a month). Who in their right mind would want to buy any property in this place knowing that you will be nothing but a hostage to the greed that is Dubai. EK has zero credibility/integrity as they have decided to break our contracts willfully, and then have the nerve to demand that "WE" remain professional. I am disgusted with this place. :yuk:

Craic Ore
1st Jun 2009, 07:38
Yes it is called monopolies....Etisalat (VOIP is illegal) and Dewa solar is illegal....can't cut into the bottom line, even if it just bluddy well makes sense. Great to know that all the innovative thinking is coming from this part of the world :eek: Been said before but if it weren't for the oil......you know the rest and history will not look kindly on this place.

Osprey55
1st Jun 2009, 09:53
Management in this company have bragged that they enjoy certain liberties not possible in other airlines because of the fact that we are not unionized. This argument, while completely pathetic, does not excuse a violation of a contract and displays a complete lack of integrity on the part of each and every member of the management team. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!!

I may be one of the few who squeaked in under the "average" but I have still written to complain and I encourage all of you to do the same. This applies, not only to the guys in company villas, but also to guys outside company accommodation as well as those in apartments. All of our contracts have been violated whether it affects you financially this time around or not. If they feel we don't care it just makes it even easier for them to do it again next time. If Emirates fails because the utility bills of some people is above average then we may as well go home now as this money grab will not postpone the inevitable by even one single day. This is an insult to our intelligence and a disgrace to the aviation industry.

Of course, this one item on its own will not break the bank, just as it won't save the company, but in combination with all the other things they are taking away it will have a serious long-term impact on your chances of getting out of here with a reasonable chance of a healthy retirement. However, if anyone believes that all the little things they have taken away from us will save the company they are, once again, woefully misled. Ok... perhaps the profits may drop a bit, but US$406,000,000 profit in a year when the rest of the world is bleeding red hardly warrants alienating your employees - especially when the 'locals' don't stand a dog's chance of achieving anything close to what we've done for them.

I am so tired of hearing how other pilots around the world would happily sacrifice a little 'for the cause' in order to keep their jobs. They are not here, they are back home, and they don't have to put up with this "beautiful" place with its shiny buildings.

Yossarian
1st Jun 2009, 11:16
If ever something needs to be said, it is now. Please don't sit in the front row and whinge about this. Write to ED. You will be referred to HR. Write to them too. Question them regarding the change to your contract, referencing the actual wording in yours. There is no need to be antagonistic. Stick to the facts. Ask to be educated about how this is possible.

What good will this do? Maybe none at all. But print out the paper trail. Print out or copy every bit of correspondence you have with the company regarding contractual issues or changes made to conditions of employment. Keep copies of all your training forms. Especially the good ones! ;) Maybe one day you have a bad day and are asked to resign. Give that file to a lawyer back home. He might find it interesting reading and enough grounds to hammer in the last nail of a lawsuit against these clowns.

another_EK_pilot
1st Jun 2009, 18:49
Also in DSO with all in all 5 of us in the villa and our bill was 28000.

Bredrin
2nd Jun 2009, 02:58
I know that we have beaten this topic to death but, there are two main issues.
1) The breach of contract.
2) You obviously now are being penalised for having children (Remember Dubai is about families) and helping to make Dubai a lush oasis.
I am not in Dubai but, it doesn't matter whether the 21,000+ is enough. IT IS WRONG!
No one will take it to court but, you would probably win.

FFFrentit
2nd Jun 2009, 10:13
I've been here for about a year now and have been a victim of the empty promises made to me by EK before I joined, i.e housing (it took a year to get my permanent accomodation and it is way below the standard of what was shown!), productivity, the Utilities Allowance fiasco, Education Support Allowance falling behind, etc.

The fact is, none of the above was accurately described in my employment contract and as such I just have to take a "like or leave it" attitude regarding these factors.

"The Company will pay rent, tax, all relevant cooking gas, electricity and water charges", as quoted directly from my employment contract is written in black and white and has no limit attached to it, nor a reference to limits that may be hidden in some obscure document somewhere.

A CLEAR CUT BREACH OF CONTRACT BY EMIRATES!!

In the absence of a union, or any form of legal representation / protection for that matter, we have to stand up for ourselves as individuals. If enough individuals make a loud enough noise, surely somebody must take notice. They may not do anything about it, but at least you will know that you have been heard.

Send an email to Helena at HR, cc Ed and your Fleet Manager - make sure that they are aware of your position in this case.

Somebody recently said something to the effect of "if you're not prepared to make a stand, don't winge about it on the flight deck".

Make a stand - at least you'll keep a little of your dignity intact whilst our "managers" probably realise that they lost theirs a long time ago.

And, if you're an FO and worried about repercussions - get some b;)lls - you'll have to face up to many more challenges as a Captain.

I'm an FO and I've sent my email. How about you?

Plank Cap
2nd Jun 2009, 12:17
Hi Folks,

Entirely agree with writing in to HR to advise them how impressed we are with the unilateral change to our contracted terms and conditions, and personnally have done so.

What's the betting they now quote the ''Employment Regulations (currently published, and as amended from time to time after the date of this Contract of Employment) form a part of your Contract of Employment''.

The quote comes directly from my contract - can they use this terminology as a get-out?

puff m'call
2nd Jun 2009, 14:18
This letter has been constructed by someone to help us all and I think it's very good, copy it, change it if you like, print it and sign it then send it to HR.

We all need to do this to show are feelings at what the Fockers are doing to us...:mad: Pass the word around and get everyone you know to send in the letter.

Let's not roll over and take this, it's our contract and they are breaking it, again!!! :mad: :mad:

To: John T. Howard - MGR HRBS-FLT OPS & ENG
Cc: Helena White - HRM(OPS)
Subject: FW: Environmental Awareness - Policy on Recovery of Excess Water and Electricity Costs in Company Provided Accommodation

Ref : Attached letter; Re : "Environmental Awareness"

Dear John,

Whilst it is encouraging to see that Emirates is trying to be "Environmentally Aware", full payment of Utilities is one of the very few things that is specifically mentioned in my contract. Quote "Utilities: The Company bears the cost of all normal utilities, e.g. water, electricity and gas, which are used in Company accommodation for normal living purposes." (End quote).

I realise that some of the conditions I joined under, (that aren't directly specified in my contract) have deteriorated. (e.g. Payment of overtime only after 92hrs). However, this is one of the few conditions that is actually written in my Contract and I do not accept that the Company has the legal right to change this without my consent.

I would suggest that if the Company (and the Country) wants to reduce my, and their, "environmental footprint" significantly, blatantly breaking a contract is not the way to show leadership on this issue.

Also, if the Company would like to introduce a new Contract policy for Utilities, then it can be offered to all new joiners.

I look forward to your reply,

(Your name here)

discovering
2nd Jun 2009, 16:33
I have written to my Fleet Manager as below. If you do not write something similar, you will be accepting the change to your Contract by default.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Re: EVPHR/006/2009 26th May 2009, DEWA Consumption in Company provided villas

I refer to the above letter, requesting payment of charges in excess of Dhs 21,600 py.

My Contract of Employment Ref: REC/XXXXXX/XXXXX page 4 section Furnished Company Accommodation states: 'The Company will pay rent, tax, all relevent cooking gas, electricity and water charges.'

I do not agree to my Contract of Employment as above being amended.

yours sincerely,

waldorfin
3rd Jun 2009, 02:49
Heard from a very reliable source last night that due to the "phenomenal" response to the utilities fiasco that TC has asked for a review. Keep those letters coming lads and ladesses.

Here's hoping reason prevails.....

halas
3rd Jun 2009, 04:27
They want the coal face to save money, yet they supply a 77L for a FIFA junket to Nassau, from Zurich via DXB :confused:

Must be hard to pour millions in to that sponsorship. Well, actually now l see how it's done. Take the cash out of the power and water budget and give it to FIFA. :ok:

halas

PS never did see that trip appear in the pairings report. Hope CPB doesn't get too sun-burnt.:E

sheiken around
3rd Jun 2009, 06:11
Ok..My letters are in. One to Ed (4 days ago) and no response. One to J.H. (HR) and one to H.W. (HR) - Still awaiting a response.

It can't be over-emphasized how important it is to urge all of the guys/girls to write in to HR, Ed, TCAS etc. about this MAJOR breech of contract. In my opinion, there have been other breeches of the contract in the last few months, but this one is, for me, the one that has broken the camels back....no pun intended !!

Just remember, if they get away with this one, just imagine what's coming next..I shudder to think.

fatbus
3rd Jun 2009, 06:24
Do you really think they care? Unfortunately not.

Dropp the Pilot
3rd Jun 2009, 07:09
Depending how intent they are on pushing this through you may want to be careful how strongly you word your objections.

For instance, if you were to use as your template something like the one included in Discovering's recent post a very likely response could be:

"We regret you do not agree to your contract revision. We will consider your contract to be cancelled effective June 30, 2009 unless we receive from you written agreement to the new terms within 48 hours".

If that sounds overly dramatic I have personally observed the case where a certain Captain wished to resign from a stressful Flight Ops management position in order to return to the line. The official response he received was that his resignation was declined but should he wish to insist upon resignation he should be aware that there were no line Captain positions available for the forseeable future.

Hardball is as hardball does.

helen-damnation
3rd Jun 2009, 11:47
We will consider your contract to be cancelled effective June 30, 2009 unless we receive from you written agreement to the new terms within 48 hours".

At which point they acknowledge they are changing the T & C's :ugh:

Wouldn't look good when the upturn comes and they're screaming out for crew........ again.

Keep Desiccating :O

fatbus
3rd Jun 2009, 12:34
HR/Bean counters only look at today and how they can make themslves look good , they could care less of when EK will need pilots

captainsmiffy
4th Jun 2009, 04:35
I responded to Eds e-mail about the 'environmental issue' and got an e-mail back about how lucky we were to have jobs in this economic climate and how Emirates must keep costs down etc - so now it is nothing to do with the environment at all! Well, no surprises there then but nice to finally be told the real reason for the 'smash and grab' on my terms and conditions of contract! And there was I, in the mistaken belief that we had just made $406 million dollars with the utilities paid! Silly me!

MumbaiRadio
4th Jun 2009, 07:24
Gents,
for 85 dhs you can get yourself a copy of the UAE labour law.
You will then discover that under Part IX of this law employees of any company based in the UAE are legally allowed collective action against their employers for matters relating to their contracts. The process is clearly described in the law and basically consists in sending the complaint to the employer AND the appropriate body of the UAE Ministry of Labour. If after 1 week the controversy is not settled amicably the employees have the right to ask the Ministry to conduct the arbitration until a settlment is reached. In the absence of an amicable settlment the Ministry will then take the lead, hear the facts from both parties and come to a decision.
If you really want to get serious about this issue (and create a precedent to avoid deliberate future changes in the contractual conditions) it is advisable to hire a local lawyer and proceed collectively under the auspices of the law. Email/ letter writing to management is ok as a first step to avoid the 'silent consent' and to vent out the frustration but will not change the situation from what I have seen so far.

woodja51
4th Jun 2009, 07:54
Not that I would ever have done anything like this but if you feel so pre-disposed I have heard that if you remove the water meter and put a screw driver into the impeller that it doesnt spin so quick and hence.... well you can all work that one out...

and as far as the electricity goes... you could always tap of one of the phases before it gets to the meter... as long as the bill doesnt go to zero of course... as that might raise suspicions...

as I said I have only heard of this... really ... trust me...

and ... oh - I live out so my sympathies to you all but when you corner a rat it does bizarre things...

as far as the contract goes.. the hardball thing wont work as the contract for all of us can be terminated with reasonable notice. and the employment manual amended as a management pre-rogative unilaterally.

The contract on the other hand cannot without the concept of repudiation being invoked... however as EK is a wholly owned subsidary of the government and is basically immune under sovereign rules .. ie you need the governments permission to take them to court.. unlikely to succeed.

Just my 2 fils worth ...

W

Plank Cap
4th Jun 2009, 12:37
Well, just had the response from Mr. JH of HR, and as forecast in my last posting on the previous page, they are justifying this by playing the ''change to the applicable manuals'' card. From the company's viewpoint, they are therefore seeing this as not breaching anybody's contract.

Anybody care to differ?

kingpost
4th Jun 2009, 13:04
Even if it is changed in the manuals it still needs to be agreed by the employee as it is a change to the contract. By sitting back and paying your bill one could determine that you accepted the change.

It's no use paying now and wanting to sue later, you won't stand a chance - you need to object in writing and get confirmation that it has been received, you may have a case then.

As many of you signed your contracts overseas I would suggest taking up legal action there - don't piss around with this system we know how it likes to expat bash!

Aircav
5th Jun 2009, 20:27
Has anyone got any informal (but proper) legal advice about HR's position with regards to this situation?

Would be nice to know before I continue my fight with them.

Flying Spag Monster
6th Jun 2009, 06:53
The current economic climate does warrant that we take the necessary steps to manage down the DEWA costs

There you have it, finally an admission that the driver is financial and nothing to do with the environment... Not until they stop chilling the uncovered management swimming pool on the roof of the EGHQ will it appear as though someone has a real environmental concern.

Yossarian
6th Jun 2009, 14:53
The reply I received from HR included a reference to how many positive changes there have been over my time in the company, basically intimating that I should not be annoyed over this one small negative change. What are those idiots smoking in their offices?

Brace yourselves boys, the door is open, the contract is breached and the really painful screwing can now begin.

What a crock!!

mensaboy
7th Jun 2009, 04:26
''....many positive changes in your time here...'' ? This clearly demonstrates the mentality we are up against.

28 deg South
7th Jun 2009, 04:58
One would hope that in their quest to lower operating costs management take the the next logical step....DECENTRALIZE THEIR WORKFORCE !
.....would help the environment as well. I could practise my dirty habits in my home country :yuk:

TwinJock
7th Jun 2009, 06:48
The cap of Dhs 21,600 was set in order to cover more than the average consumption, this cap only impacts 34% of staff in company provided villas (i.e. 66% of the workforce or approx 1,100 employees are currently below this cap).

BS!

Of those poled thus far in DSO, only 34% are below the cap!

56% are between AED 21 600 and AED 30 000, with 12% over AED 30 000!

Average, what average?

Not from here
7th Jun 2009, 07:45
An interesting observation on water conservation yesterday. A A330 was being washed next to us on the apron. Two rather large water trucks with water hoses and a few chaps with large brushes scrubbing away. Watched this scenario for 57 min. Water never turned off, just pouring down the drain. Didn't seem very green to me := They have probably used my years consumption of water in one day. Multiply that by 130 aeroplanes, makes the DEWA bill look rather small. Then again, they probably don't pay for that water. Now, where do you apply for the Najm (?) award:ugh:

fatbus
7th Jun 2009, 09:05
I think you will find youe water portion avery small % of the total, AC is the big drain. Not to many guys will try to cool the outdoor area's anymore. we are under for last year and water was only 2000 / year, 2 kids, no pool ,no maid, no washing cars everyday-you get the picture

Watchdog
7th Jun 2009, 09:53
fatbus,
Not at my place....it's the water that is the big cost item, except on summer when the AC almost matches it. I've a large yard. So now, the green yard will be going brown as I'm turning the water off. That will look so nice :ugh:

ferris
7th Jun 2009, 14:11
You guys may want to check with your lessor about allowing the garden die. A friend (not at EK) couldn't face paying the water bill again after last summer and elected to let the garden go. He received an interesting letter from the lessor's agent pointing out that he was responsible for the upkeep of the garden, and that if he let it die, would be required to replace said garden. Now he's doing the maths.

Yossarian
7th Jun 2009, 14:54
I would love to return their villa to them in the condition I got it in. Of course I would have to rip up the grass and bring in a truckload of builder's rubble.

White Sausage
8th Jun 2009, 17:08
I have heard rumours that EK will not be paying DEWA bills for pilots in the near future? Is this correct and if so when will it be implemented, or is it been discussed? - Question Posted on 31st May 2008

Emirates pay DEWA bills for all employees in Company Provided Accommodation and there are no plans at present for this to change. This rumour may have been triggered by a recent survey of employees on environmental issues, which asked if employees would favour education of the employees in Company Accommodation in order to reduce water and electricity consumption, or whether employees would favour limits imposed to prevent excessive consumption. There are a small number of employees in Company Accommodation who do use excessive amounts of water and electricity, usually due to installation of unauthorised home improvements and the Company may consider ways in future to manage this, in order to protect this valuable benefit for other employees. --- Helena White - HRM(OPS) - System Account

So much for the truth they are telling...:ugh:

flareflyer
9th Jun 2009, 15:44
Maybe my English is not quite good but am I wrong or what states in the letter we got in our box is that for the actual financial year the cap is 18000 and next financial year will be 21600?????

Other question, in my contract (i suppose for the others is the same) states that the company "will pay rent, tax, all relevant cooking gas, electricity and water charges".

What about enquiring a lawyer to see if it is legal to do what they decided to do???

ekpilot
9th Jun 2009, 17:39
I'm sure the EK lawyer will have a wonderful day at the office ! The only word that has to be debated is relevant! Try to think like a lawyer... You, the EK pilot will be sh@fted once again. Hand me another six-pack - of vaseline this time please...:\

helen-damnation
9th Jun 2009, 19:35
Well I know what it says and I know what I exptected when I signed the paperwork.
In the absence of the company explaining any general exclusions at the interview/briefing stage, to me relevant means all gas used for cooking, all water used for general living requirements (cooking/washing/cleaning/garden & villa maintenance) and similar for electricity.
This was a major part of the recruitment campaign and hence, a major part of the attraction.
The company's actions demean and belittle them and they are lesser people for it :=

Aircav
9th Jun 2009, 20:14
ekpilot,

My contract says The Company will pay rent, tax, all relevant cooking gas, electricity and water charges.

When I was last at school the use of the comma after gas indicated that "all relevant cooking" only applies to gas and not electricity and water. This was in fact how Emirates itself interpreted it, with one having to pay for BBQ gas for example, before the latest profit discovery scheme.:=

I take your point however that Lawyers could try to argue differently, but there is also the little matter of precedent which has been well established in this matter.:D

Their latest tactic in this grubby battle is to simply ignore any communication on the matter so maybe they are not too sure of their own legal position.

Wiley
10th Jun 2009, 04:08
Sorry Aircav, but when I was at school, that pesky word applied to all, and I think you'll find most teachers of English will agree with me. The comma's just a separator that is left out when an 'and' is used between the second last and last nouns in a list. They're going to get you on that all too relevant 'relevant' word.

Trying to step back from the understandable emotions this measure has aroused, the sad fact is that we, 'The Group' have collectively been punished for the actions of a few, those unthinking bastards who have the housemaid hose out the whole yard every morning, leave every light inside and outside the house burning 24 hours a day, run the aircon at 20 degrees while leaving the doors open and while they're on leave, have installed a decorative fountain and change their swimming pool water every time it strikes their fancy.

Yossarian
10th Jun 2009, 05:22
And precedent has been set!

three eighty
10th Jun 2009, 05:59
...the sad fact is that we, 'The Group' have collectively been punished for the actions of a few, those unthinking bastards...

I disagree.
If the average DEWA consumption had been lower then the Utilities Cap would have been lowered accordingly. This was going to happen regardless of how much power and water we are consuming leaving us in the same boat.

darsco
10th Jun 2009, 19:37
you all think the utilities shaft is bad what about this ! just off the press

Beer taps to run dry for Molson retirees: report
REUTERS
June 09, 2009

:ouch:TORONTO (Reuters) - The recession has forced some companies to cut pensions and others to curtail retiree benefits, but Molson Canada is turning off the taps in a literal sense.
The brewer will no longer supply its 2,400 retirees with free beer, which currently costs the company about C$1 million ($900,000) a year, the Toronto Star newspaper reported.
Molson, a division of Molson Coors <TAP.N>, said it was looking to cut costs and to "standardize" its complimentary beer policy.
The company's retirees in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, for example, will see their monthly allotment fall from six dozen bottles of beer a month to zero over the next five years.
Current Molson workers will still receive complimentary beer, but see their allotment drop from 72 dozen bottles a year to 52 dozen.
"There was no consultation, we just received a letter that this is a done deal, which is totally unfair," Bill Bavis, who retired six years ago after 32 years at Molson's in St. John's, Newfoundland, told the Star. "I think with the economic downturn they're trying to take advantage of us, as a way to cut retirees' benefits and justify it."
Unions have launched grievances in Montreal and Vancouver, where the retirees' allotment is less than in Newfoundland.
A spokesman for Molson said the company feels it still has a very generous benefits package.
($1=$1.10 Canadian)

Modesh09
12th Jun 2009, 15:50
who do we email in human resources?
Make my house greener , reflective coating on windows, water heating pipes on flat roof and the list goes on. Make the house green , stop riding the employees backs for money , ****ers !

We should all email them with this ! :ugh:

Nightfire
12th Jun 2009, 17:12
EXACTLY, that's one thing I just don't get about this place! :ugh:

There is so much potential of saving energy here. Fuel and energy-costs are actually still TOO CHEAP here, not too expensive.
Mind you, I also hate paying my ADDC-bills (I'm at EY), but it just p!$$es me of how they waste energy here. No wonder that the company doesn't want to pay for it either.
And unfair that only expats are affected by the problem, instead of everyone. :mad:

Construction flaws: Single-pane windows without sun-shades, thin walls without any insulation, electric water-boilers installed inside the air-conditioned room, artificially cooled swimming-pools outside in the sun, and so on.
Plus stupid behaviour of many guys, who turn the aircon inside the staircase to 10°, or leave the main entrance door of the building (it's a highriser) wide open when going in or out. How many people leave the lights on in all the rooms, don't set the a/c off or at least to a higher setting while they are out, or even bother to switch off the TV while they're not watching.
How many times do I see parked vehicles with their engines running, because people want a cool interior when they come back (it's not just the locals who do this, but many expats too, including my own neighbours).

Nobody here cared about energy-efficiency when they bought their flats and villas. At the moment, nobody cares about the fuel-economy of their cars - just wait and see what's gonna happen to the price of fuel within the next couple of years. You think it's gonna stay at 15 DHS per gallon? :=
Nope. Gradually, the costs of energy are going to rise, until sooner than later they will be up to a normal level. Here like anywhere else.

It all just fits in with this mentality of careless wasting, in this country. And now, we're all surprised to find that it actually does cost money.

It's hard for all of us.

alpine blue
22nd Jun 2009, 15:51
Heres a few tips on how to cut down your water usage.

I wait for the sprinklers to come on in the park then the whole family go and have a shower. Another way to save water is only flush the toilet once a week. If you need to take a piss do it in the garden saves watering the plants.

Hope these tips help.

lowstandard
22nd Jun 2009, 17:34
I poop in the gulf

airbus757
23rd Jun 2009, 23:22
I poop in the toilet...then it ends up in the Gulf.:E

seagoll
12th Feb 2010, 15:37
i understand that changing the contract with the inclusion of us now required to pay bills over a preset cap is illegal under UAE law...anyone the wiser as we have no come back for any mess ups e.g leaks etc.We just get debited at source.Any comments

captainsmiffy
16th Feb 2010, 06:00
EK hasn't paid my bill for 4 months and DEWA tell me that I will be incurring higher charge levels and possible dis-connection as a result....no response thus far when I raised the issue with company....