PDA

View Full Version : Have gun, will travel.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th May 2009, 13:26
HMS Daring can play role in 2012 games - Portsmouth Today (http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/HMS-Daring-can-play-role.5298715.jp)

HMS Daring or one of her sister ships could play a role in protecting the London 2012 games from terrorists.

Reports over the weekend suggested that the government was planning to use Daring, or another of the Navy's three Type 45 destroyers, as a patrolling security presence on the Thames while the international sporting festival took place.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this overly ambitious?

Also Super-destroyer to guard 2012 Games - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/london_2012/article6350326.ece)

The Times is reliable, of course; A military official said two Tornado GR4 fighter aircraft were on permanent standby at RAF Marham near King’s Lynn in Norfolk to launch at 15 minutes’ notice.

cornish-stormrider
26th May 2009, 13:55
OH Whoop de friggin doo.

A pair of GR4's on Q at Marham, one will probably go U/S on scramble and the other will be so hamstrung by the RoE it won't be able to engage.

I'd think a pair of strike helicopter teams on each side of the estuary loaded up for Bear and full of............. Royal. Yes. They can board ships and fight.

declare an exclusion zone and have no entry without positive control and launch on any intruders.

As for air intercepts I believe the Hoon should be ready by then.

Rigger1
26th May 2009, 15:41
Well done the Navy, sheer brilliance, whoever thought this one up should be knighted ..... Moore your nice shiny ship of Sheerness as planned and according to all the blurb it can track and shoot down anything within 19 miles, even if it’s the size of a tennis ball.

If you draw a circle from the Thames estuary at Sheerness, and let’s be generous here and make it 25miles radius, it only just penetrates the M25, once again well done the Navy.

Yellow Sun
26th May 2009, 16:23
Well for once they might stand a chance of actually knowing where ZZ is!:rolleyes:

YS

TurningFinals
26th May 2009, 16:37
A military official said two Tornado GR4 fighter aircraft were on permanent standby at RAF Marham near King’s Lynn in Norfolk to launch at 15 minutes’ notice.

Aren't the GR4's bombers?

GreenKnight121
26th May 2009, 19:00
Since the F.3s are being retired by 2010, GR.4s and Tiffies2s are all you have left.

GR.7/9s won't be assigned that duty.

Green Flash
27th May 2009, 08:38
Visions of the Shot Putt/Hammer/Javelin/Pole Vault being tw@tted by a PAAMS!:\

MaxReheat
27th May 2009, 09:11
Plenty of time left to do a mod to fit some Tincanos with AMRAAM and base them on HMS London City.

There, no Commons Select Committee needed and sufficiently fantastic to sit alongside the other Bondesque scenarios that our security experts sit and fantasise about.

newt
27th May 2009, 09:34
I should think Mr Smith and Mr Jones from Hereford would be better employed against terrorists in London. Let the RAF deal with any airborne threat!

Is this the Navy trying to justify itself and all its Admirals yet again?

Green Flash
27th May 2009, 09:51
newt

My thoughts exactly. A wave of Flankers belting up the Thames? Or a rucksack? My, this is one sh!t hot ship if it can get the bag .....

Many threats so far have been carried on a pair of boots. You deal with people by using ..... people! A well briefed Joe Public, lots of Plod, overt and covert, Hereford Hooligans/Poole Pirates in reserve (and telegraph the fact that they will be amongst you but you will never know!:E) and keep your fingers crossed.

A Tucc with gun pods for the slow mover and a Tiff with the bells and whistles for the bigger stuff if you must, but HMS Saviour-of-the-World sounds a bit OTT. But what do I know, especially when it's parked next to the Belfast slap bang in the middle of town and all the crowds ohhh and ahhh and the baddies quiver in fear; style over substance.:hmm:

As a Fleet defence ship I have every expectation that Daring will be the dogs conkers, but I think someone has had an Olympian brain fart.

Ah, that's better. Better take the meds before nurse finds out .....

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
28th May 2009, 15:40
TurningFinals. I think you wil find that it was a factually challenged journo confusing Coningsby’s FGR4s (Typhoon) with Marham’s GR4s (Tornado). That’s probably inevitable when people who should know better start copying a rather junior air force that gives its aircraft function letters and type numbers (eg F15). Translating that to just the “mark” of aircraft that may or not be of the same type will always cause confusion eventually. Anyway, hobby horse exercised, fed and watered!

Donkey497
30th May 2009, 15:43
Anyone taking bets on the wreck of the Richard Montgomery going bang and writing of a nice shiny type 45?

Also as far as 2012 goes, how do you tell the difference between a normal jumbo or other heavy on short finals, overflying central london and another one which has been hi-jacked just prior to coming out of radio silence over the pond, maybe declaring a medical/flight deck emergency?

The important question is how long does it take from the nearest point on the normal approach patterns to LHR, STN & LGW to the major olypmic venues in comparison to scramble/arrival time for the QRA boys and /or missile & decision time from the nice shiny type 45.

Once you decide that you are going to shoot somenthing down, the other unfortunate problem that none of our ultra glib politicians have addressed is where potentially several hundred tons of burning debris and bodies are likely to land over a highly populated city centre.

If the politicians were in any way serious about preventing a major airborne attack, then as Cornish suggests, the only certain way to prevent it is to close any airport closer in flying time [at max possible airspeed] than QRA arrival time, declare a total exclusion zone and shoot at anything that wanders in, long before it gets over any population centre.

All you have to worry about then is the compensation claims from Ferrovial for shutting down their cash cow and BA for being stupid and putting all of their eggs into T5.

cynical - moi?

Rigger1
30th May 2009, 17:01
How about putting a QRA pair into Biggin, Northolt and North Weald, Good coverage from any angle and quicker to get overhead than anything out of Coningsby

Oh sorry, I forgot, we haven't enough jets.

Focks 2
30th May 2009, 21:19
HMS Daring can play role in 2012 games - Portsmouth Today

Crikey! I'm picturing HMS Mohammed coming along side and launching a barrage of shoes, while onboard Daring the crew are shouting words such as 'Cap'n' and 'yards.'

All sounds terribly exiting!