PDA

View Full Version : CoS08 and BPP

SloppyJoe
26th May 2009, 09:26
As far as I understand it, if you were on CoS99 and elected to remain there BPP would be triggered by anyone who worked past 55.

If you were on CoS99 and elected to move to CoS08 BPP would not be triggered by anyone working past 55 as the CoS08 you agreed to indicates it will only be triggered by someone working past their retirement age, which is now 65.

So what about people like me. I joined last year and have just had my progression and financial gain from this career altered hugely without a choice. Are those of us who joined on CoS08 eligible for BPP when someone works past 55?

IFB
26th May 2009, 10:02
My understanding is no you will not get BPP for anyone working beyond 55. Your COS states that BPP is paid for individuals working beyond normal retirment age and your normal retirment age is 65.

SloppyJoe
26th May 2009, 10:50
Yes mine is but theirs was not when I joined.

CYRILJGROOVE
26th May 2009, 11:36
SLOPPY
You would have to have been in La La land not to know RA 65 was just around the corner when you joined. Surely you did not think you could work to 65 yet those who had been in CX longer than you would not get a crack at what you had. If that got you by surprise you had better work on your situational awareness.

IFB
26th May 2009, 11:55
Yes mine is but theirs was not when I joined.

True, but your BPP is based on what YOUR normal retirement age is, not theirs, and thus you will only get BPP if they work beyond your NRA. This change affects everyones time to command not just yours. Like Cyril says this has been on the cards for some time and should not have come as too much of a shock to you to be honest.

HEALY
26th May 2009, 12:23
When I signed up last Year on COS O8 is was under the impression that I was giving up Bypass Pay full stop! That was the whole issue with Cos 08 and I was fully aware of that when I signed it. Was it a lower point of terms and conditions compared to 99....well Yes it was but what choice did we have?

I took full responsibility for the contract I was signing!!!

I could of said no but to be honest I am thankfull everyday that I took this job and even with the slower progression I still reckon its a pretty good wicket in some fairly tough times. Again its all comparitive to a previous life.

I feel though sometimes maybe I am missing something here....people talk about lost financial reward for slower upgrades and commands etc etc but I cannot work out a time line which tells me this. I never expected or allowed for bypass when I signed nor did I expect much less that 3 to 3.5 years eating sandwhiches in the back. I know that I wont upgrade to FO in 18 months like some people have done but I wont be considering the extra 2 years as a financial loss....because nothing is a certainty. Things Change.

If it takes 15 years to Command and not 10 well thats just what happens, thats the timeline for me...cant do much about it (except resign). At the end of the day though I can appreciate the frustration for many people who have been here for alot longer period and may of been a sniff away from 4 bars to have that delayed for an unknown period....but again things change and its not all to do with the company.

sisyphos
26th May 2009, 12:34
aaah, clearly you haven't been here long enough yet. Just wait and see, the bitterness and frustration will come to you as well, just a question of time, young luke...:}

joejet
26th May 2009, 12:59
IFB states: "Your COS states that BPP is paid for individuals working beyond normal retirment age and your normal retirment age is 65."

Beware of this statement: Our CoS says beyond your normal retirement age - well, CoS99 has a normal retirement age of 55. If your on CoS99 and your normal retirement age is 55, why should the company pay you BPP based on someone else's CoS (08)? I think the company will start arguing that BPP is only relevant for each individuals CoS. We will have two separate pilot groups on one seniority list. Now that all the boxes have been check, there may be a argument on who, if any, gets those BPP cheques.

I hope I'm wrong, but be prepared too.

Humber10
26th May 2009, 13:11
Management has clearly stated that if a Captain on COS 08' works past the age of 55, then those on COS 99' will be compensated for in the form of BPP. I have an email from FOP clearly saying this. I'm sure there are many more who have received similar emails from management.

Humber10
26th May 2009, 13:49
sounds like the paper my contract is written on... :}

like everything, it's always open for misinterpretation by the company

Blogsey
27th May 2009, 12:26
10 bucks says, by the time I'm looking at a command, there'll be pilots on extensions, post 65......:}

Baywatcher
27th May 2009, 14:03
RA70 is on the cards!