PDA

View Full Version : School Exclusion

Soup Dragon
26th May 2009, 08:35
The kids came home from school today with a letter originating from the National Pandemic Emergency Committee (NPEC). It recommends a 7 day period of exclusion from school for children following international travel to a country of concern or after contact with persons who have recently returned.

As I spend my life bouncing between "countries of concern" (eg US/Japan), the kids think "schools out" for the foreseeable future! Think again :E.

The principal hasn't got a clue how to deal with this one. Anyone else had the letter?

Soup Dragon
26th May 2009, 11:14
Thank you for your comments Tail wheel.

I beg to differ with your opinion.

I, like many Professional Pilots in Australia, fly to USA and Japan on a weekly basis and have children at school. Guidance from our government tells us that after each visit our children are to be excluded from school for 7 days.

Please explain to me how this has no relevance to Professional Pilots in Australia.

Perhaps you do not have the privelege of having children but many of us do and to us this is an extremely important matter.

I am not seeking advice on swine flu; I get enough of that from my company and from the leaflets handed out at the various stations I fly to.

I am seeking to establish how many of my colleagues are in the same situation and whether their local education departments are offering any further guidance. Putting this thread in the "multinational" medical forum will not give it the exposure to the Australian arena that I believe it deserves.

If I am wrong and no other Professional Pilots in Australia are concerned with their childrens' education then feel free to move this thread to wherever you want.

Regards

Soup Dragon
26th May 2009, 13:07
No worries.

I've just phoned home to speak to the head of domestic operations and discovered the letter was prompted by guidance here: Health Emergency - Information for schools (http://www.healthemergency.gov.au/internet/healthemergency/publishing.nsf/Content/schools.htm)

and also by the fact that W.A. had its first confirmed case today.

With regard to travelling parents, the link above advises you to contact your school for advice. Our local education authority (W.A.) has decided that in the case of travelling parents then the 7 day exclusion also applies. Maybe other states will see this differently.

Effectively it implies the kids should stop going to school or I stop going to work until this is over. They obviously haven't considered the case of airline crew and similar regular overseas travellers. I've asked the principal when we can expect the home tutor to start visiting!

Animalclub
26th May 2009, 17:38
Then the home tutor is exposed to the possibility of catching the pig flu... if one takes it to the extreme where does it end?

Sunfish
26th May 2009, 19:00
Anyone still think swine flu is a non - issue?

Frankly, we should have shut down Commercial air travel or installed a Seven day quarantine for returning travellers Three weeks ago when this first showed on the Radar.

However "economics" have meant that a Global Pandemic has not and never will be declared by the World Health Organisation, which has just lost all credibility.

If there is anyone in the community with a brain, they will discontinue non essential interstate and overseas travel immediately.

As predicted, this bug is spreading faster in Australia then it has in America because we are entering our winter flu season.

Bad medicine
26th May 2009, 20:38
The website above has a lot of good information, as do the sites of the respective state health departments. As a public health issue, everyone has a role to play. It's not just a matter of expecting the government to "fix" it.

BM

assasin8
26th May 2009, 23:29
If people were a bit more considerate of their fellow travellers and workers, then they wouldn't be travelling or working when sick!

Ah, the "me" generation... Stuff everyone else, I'm the only one that matters and if I've got the flu (pig, bird, bat, horse or whatever) then it doesn't matter if everyone else gets it too!!! Show a bit of concern for your fellow man (that's "man" gender non specific, before the "women in comfortable shoes" out there attack me).

And before the horses all bolt from the stables, yes, I understand that some people may have the virus (or any contagious illness) and may not yet be displaying symptoms... Case forgiven! But for the rest of the selfish bas#@&$... I hope your noses fall off!!!:mad:

"Live long and prosper..."

twiggs
27th May 2009, 01:55
If people were a bit more considerate of their fellow travellers and workers, then they wouldn't be travelling or working when sick!

The Japanese wear masks when they are not well and are mixing with others in their country or travelling abroad.
How many times have you heard someone ignorantly scoff at them for doing so?

blueloo
27th May 2009, 02:03
twiggs - as an aside - most of the masks they wear will not stop flu transmission - they are more of a "courtesy" than actually having a real effect. (some even come with menthol installed). Although since swine flu many chemists there have started selling the appropriate masks although a lot more expensive than the standard masks.

Having said that they may still have the effect of stopping the person touching their mouth and passing germs via direct contact

The Green Goblin
27th May 2009, 03:13
Anyone still think swine flu is a non - issue?

Frankly, we should have shut down Commercial air travel or installed a Seven day quarantine for returning travellers Three weeks ago when this first showed on the Radar.

However "economics" have meant that a Global Pandemic has not and never will be declared by the World Health Organisation, which has just lost all credibility.

If there is anyone in the community with a brain, they will discontinue non essential interstate and overseas travel immediately.

As predicted, this bug is spreading faster in Australia then it has in America because we are entering our winter flu season.

I suppose we should all live in a bubble crying the end is nigh sunny??

assasin8
27th May 2009, 05:06
:hmm:

...No... Only the sick ones!!!