PDA

View Full Version : Using a Television as a Monitor

Tosh McCaber
25th May 2009, 22:14
I think that I can use my television as a monitor at home for my laptop, but am not sure of the connection and set-up details I want to be able to watch catch-up stuff from BBC I-Player on a proper screen. TV is a new Panasonic 46", Full HD. Laptop is a Sony Viao, about three years old, but doesn't have an HD outlet.

Is it better to use an S-Video cable, or, optionally, a VGA cable. Or does it make a difference? Also, what would be the correct settings for a reasonable picture (I'm obviously not looking for Hi Def, but I'm looking for the best settings to make something watchable.)

Thanks for any help.

Sprogget
25th May 2009, 22:53
VGA carries video only. S-video is a higher standard as it splits the b&w signal & the colour signal and also it carries audio IIRC but I stand to be corrected on that. HDMI is the only way you'll output hd signals ex the laptop, so if it doesn't have it, you're out of luck.

The best standard of all for is RGB, but I never saw that on a lappy. It's usually only seen on high end av systems. Not really sure if hdmi supersedes it.

Tinstaafl
26th May 2009, 03:19
Some laptops have a DVI output jackand there are DVI --> HDMI converters. You might be fortunate enough for that.

Alternatively, you might be able to set the laptop to treat the TV as a 2nd monitor and use whatever input on the TV that is compatible with the laptop's output jack(s). Many laptops can do this and use a different resolution for #2. If your graphic card allows you could set the #2 (TV) resolution to the equivalent of HD ie something like 1080 x 900.

For sound you might have to run an audio cable from the laptop to your TV or sound system's aux jack.

Tosh McCaber
26th May 2009, 09:12
It does have a 4 pin i.LINK (IEEE1394) port- is that the same as the DVI output jack mentioned? (I'm not at all worried about HD- so long as I get a decent picture.)

Saab Dastard
26th May 2009, 10:01
It does have a 4 pin i.LINK (IEEE1394) port- is that the same as the DVI output jack mentioned?

No, that's a firewire port - like USB, only faster!

This is DVI:

http://dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Monitor/DVI%20Port.JPG

Note that the picture is a 24-pin DVI-I, there are several flavours of DVI!

SD

tony draper
26th May 2009, 10:07
Don't think Y/C or S video connector carries audio, leasewise it dont on my kit.:)

uid0
26th May 2009, 10:29
i think its best to mention the model of the TV and the notebook..easier for us to help.

Tosh McCaber
26th May 2009, 10:30
Doh! I should have known what a DVI socket is. I just have the mini 4 pin i.LINK socket. Would there be an iLINK to HDMI cable? Or will I just use the VGA port, with an auxiliary audio cable? If so, do I need to re-set anything on the tele/ laptop?

Sprogget
26th May 2009, 10:41
Now I've had a chance to look it up, you're quite right Mr. D. S-video doesn't carry audio. DVI Is the likeliest output - converters are widely available for a few quid.

bnt
26th May 2009, 19:40
VGA carries video only. S-video is a higher standard as it splits the b&w signal & the colour signal and also it carries audio IIRC but I stand to be corrected on that. HDMI is the only way you'll output hd signals ex the laptop, so if it doesn't have it, you're out of luck.

The best standard of all for is RGB, but I never saw that on a lappy. It's usually only seen on high end av systems. Not really sure if hdmi supersedes it.
That isn't quite correct: a standard 15-pin VGA output carries separate RGB signals, and the picture is superior to S-video, which is Y/C encoded. VGA also supports DDC, which lets the PC query the monitor's capabilities, so it knows the video mode(s) to use. I'm using that right now, on a Samsung 19" TV/Monitor.

tony draper
26th May 2009, 20:58
CRT Computer Monitors at lest good ones go up to far higher resolutions than the present HD Television sets,the HD channel on Iplayer looks really good on my 19 inch CRT monitor,don't have any experience of flat panel jobbies but I understand they all suffer from lag and smearing if fast moving objects are on screen,no such prob with a CR Tube.
I have 22 inch top quality CRT monitor that sadly has a fault on it at the mo it does weigh a ton though,it goes up to a incredible resolution, at the top end the entire windows desk top is a tiny postage stamp sized square in the top left hand corner,so if you have a CRT monitor you can watch HD television progs already.
:)

Jofm5
27th May 2009, 01:35
Saab Dastard:

Note that the picture is a 24-pin DVI-I, there are several flavours of DVI!

There are but for most of the time you need not worry about it....

The pin count on DVI can be seperated to single link and dual link DVI (as I found out).

Single link DVI is the most common standard and allows you to run a resolution of up to 1900x1400 in common monitor parlence. Which is around standard for 22-24" monitors. If you want to go above that you will need Dual link DVI which means the signal is split over an extra set of cables/pins to achieve the resolution - If like me you got hold of a cheap dell 30" monitor you need a dual link dvi cable to achieve the 2560x1600 resolution.

On a quick side note - if you plan to go the dual link dvi route you need to make sure your graphics card can hand dual link - whilst most nvidia cards have dual - dual link dvi (both dvi out can cope with dual link) the recent ATI cards I recall could only cope with dual link on a single primary output.

Tosh McCaber
27th May 2009, 06:45
Since I have just been loaned a VGA extension cable and audio cable, I'm going to try that,when I get some time in the next few days. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the replies so far.

srobarts
27th May 2009, 06:57
I have 42" Panasonic plasma which I connect via VGA for video and audio plugs into our surround sound amplifier. iPlayer is not HD. but picture is OK. If you have a PS3 you can also use that as iPlayer viewer - imho the picture is better as the PS3 does the upscaling for HD.

tony draper
27th May 2009, 07:07
Really? well a dedicated HD channel has appeared on iplayer just in the last few weeks.
BBC iPlayer - BBC HD - All programmes - Page 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_hd)
:confused:

srobarts
27th May 2009, 09:22
Really? well a dedicated HD channel has appeared on iplayer just in the last few weeks.
I missed the addition of the HD channel in my visits to iPlayer (Sky+ is my normal route, iPlayer when I forget to program Sky+).
Just tried one HD program and got the error message of insufficient bandwidth. Downloaded the same program to try that and it appears a tad jerky.

tony draper
27th May 2009, 13:13
Same on Bros puter, I got the Draper home made super puter with 4 gig of ram and a dualcore cpu a whiz bang 1 gig ram super fast graphic card,and fiber optic Broad band, seems you need good kit and good bandwidth to see the HD on iplayer, it runs perfect on mine.
:rolleyes:

Tosh McCaber
5th Jun 2009, 07:37
Used the VGA extension cable and audio cable, and, after holding down the Fn key, and pressing the F7 key, got the results I wanted. Perfectly watchable, other than being 4:3, as opposed to wide screen. But, I'll play around with it, as always, and will hopefully get the wide-screen into play. Sound, via tele speakers, first class.

Thanks for all the replies.

BubbaMc
9th Jun 2009, 01:20
You should be able to select a widescreen resolution when using the VGA output. Just make sure the resolution is the native resolution of your TV, which should be 1920x1080.

Loose rivets
9th Jun 2009, 03:33
What frame speeds/frequencies are you all getting with HD from a computer?

As mentioned on the telly thread, one of the disappointments I've had with the 120Hz Samsung is that the up-convert signal is of course outputted at 60Hz. this is not as good as my old light-engine Sony, which is now back with its maker.:rolleyes:

Since tv is crap here, I use a lot of FletNix So, I'm actually worse off while playing on my 'old' DVD up-convert. It occurs to me that I could use a spare laptop. Just off to look at the plug-outs.

Mmm...just a VGA and a microscopic plug with an i like a logo, and S400 beside it. I looked for the manual. Nope, no manual, just a load of tat that tells me how to unpack it and how not to kill myself with it...in ten languages. F'in daft world.

Downloaded Sony manual. Copied file to XPS Viewer. Nice. Very clear. Nice big bulgy pages that you can do Mexican waves with. Pick, 500 ms and there it is 200 ms more and it pops into focus. 179 pages of it.

Then why the :mad: do I have to have my monitor on its side? :{ If there are any tools with this viewer, they aint' showing. :ugh:

CommanderCYYZ
11th Jun 2009, 16:24
Hey guys, you may find the following link useful:

How To Connect a Computer To Your TV (Page 1 of 4): TechLore (http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/How-To-Connect-a-Computer-To-Your-TV/?textpage=1)

I saves me having to type it all out.

Bushfiva
12th Jun 2009, 00:22
Mr Rivets, it's a Firewire port, otherwise known as IEEE 1394. "Firewire" is actually an Apple trademark, so Sony call it i.Link. Yours is the original flavor, up to 400 Mbps half-duplex. On TV, it's usually used for connecting those DV video cameras that still have Firewire ports.

Loose rivets
12th Jun 2009, 04:44
Cammander, thanks for that link.

Bushfiva, thanks for that. I did get somewhere with reading the sideways manual and also found Wikki handy again. It looks like a really good reader as far as speed and clarity is concerned, but I'm darned if I can find any tools whatsoever.

From Commander's site,

Use S-Video as a last resort if you have no other choice, or are not as concerned about the video quality of your connection.

Well, it's back to VGA out for the laptop...which is quite new, but not very expensive. $640, on sale I think. I was aware that it did not have dedicated graphics memory.

The Samsung 120 Hz has three inputs, and a CD for computer interfacing.
Composite (yellow) 4 HDMIs and a VGA marked COMPUTER. So, unequivocal really. But again, I have to ration my time or I'll not get any work done or book writ.

One will return after a burst of enthusiasm.