PDA

View Full Version : Expat work for aussies?

arnellis
24th May 2009, 16:46
Hey all, im currently working in Aus (Bush C210 flying in the north) I am becoming really fond of the idea of moving abroad and really want to make the most of my GA time by getting out and about in the world!! I have had a bit of a look around and there appears to be alot of work in Africa. I would be really interesting in working in the north of Africa. Is there any fellow aussies working in this region? Or anyone that can give me an idea of how I would go about getting work up that way?

And to the float guys, I have seen some awesome youtube vid's of DHC6F in the Maldives, although I do not have a float rating yet..... How difficult is it to move into a float gig? I have been told its some of the best flying one can do!

I have 500tt, Aus CPL/MECIR, not much multi time 25hrs, Wet season experience and 300hrs on Cessna 200 series. (Is this enough to move abroad?)

If anyone can shed some light on any locations I would be able to head to other than Africa that would be great as well.

Thanks for the info in advance! :ok:

zakpeegoodus
26th May 2009, 02:01
Sorry to sound negative, but you don’t have enough time to get a job overseas yet..

I could not get into the Maldives until I had an ATPL, 2500 hours and 1000 turbine/float . That was despite taking a trip over there to see the companies, and sending them a resume every few months for a couple of years.
Most of the FOs in the Maldives are locals, and they will naturally employ a local over an expat any day.
To get into the Maldives as an expat, you have to go as a captain, or be seen to be close to the minimums they require for a captain. If not, they will slot in a local (unless you have friends there already)
I did not like the Maldives a great deal. Very boring and monotonous.

As for Africa, mostly it is mining / oil related, and the companies involved in these industries are dealing with big bucks, so are they going to have their CEOs and M.Ds flying about with inexperienced pilots? Of course not!
There are some lodges and tourist related jobs, but again, you wont get into them with more experience.

Stay in Australia and get some hours up, then think about moving. i would say 2,000 hours and and ATPL as a minimum...and then time on type for the job you are seeking...It is harder to get a job overseas as a low time pilot than it is in Australia. I don’t know why people get the impression otherwise. The grass isn’t always greener!