PDA

View Full Version : United to recruit in the UK?

M.Mouse
29th May 2001, 19:34
Heard this rumour twice recently. It is that United are about to recruit circa 400 pilots in the UK, supply green cards etc.

Sounds like a good rumour and too good to be true.

Anybody know?

Gentleman Aviator
29th May 2001, 19:54
Nothing about it on their web-site:

http://www.ual.com/site/primary/0,10017,1394,00.html

Another link for UK employment with them is:

http://www.unitedairlines.co.uk/0523.htm

Basically asking for a CV for any job you might be interested in to be sent to

People Services
United Airlines
United House
Southern Perimeter Road
Heathrow Airport
TW6 3LP

Might be worth the cost of a letter!

GA :)

drop bags bar
29th May 2001, 20:39
The exact same rumour did the rounds in Canada for a few weeks a while back but on investigation a hoax.

Huck
29th May 2001, 21:20
They boast of 13,000 applications on file, and they've 300 in their hiring pool, coming out at 40 a month for the foreseeable future.

I hate to say this, but if they are recruiting overseas, it is to meet the requirements of court-ordered diversification, in which case only certain types need apply.

Anti Freeze
29th May 2001, 21:45
Heard the same. Around 400 Pilots. Green cards, US salaries, US lifestyle. Nice !!

sky9
29th May 2001, 22:42
United Dairies are looking for milkmen, perhaps it's them

Airbubba
29th May 2001, 23:03
>>The exact same rumour did the rounds in Canada for a few weeks a while back but on investigation a hoax.<<

Yep, this is a PPRuNe perennial, runs alternately with the Yank bashing thread...

Q400
29th May 2001, 23:50
It's an urban legend. U.S. Immigration in Toronto knows nothing about it. Others have checked with immigration lawyers and there's nothing to it. When airlines are upgrading RJ Capts. at 2500 hrs TT, there's no real pilot shortage. The requirements just keep slipping lower.

Roadtrip
30th May 2001, 20:39
United has stopped hiring until probably September. There are a bunch in the pool already. If the US Air deal goes through (doubtful), then they will be AWASH with too many pilots. That is one reason that the United pilots are so hard-over against the merger. United might be hiring in the UK, but it's probably for UK based non-pilot jobs.

Gspot
31st May 2001, 00:09
Can't blame you all for wishing it were true but I'm afraid Roadtrip is correct, hiring freeze at least for now, I heard until end of this year at least. As someone who has been "negotiating" with the US Immigration service I can tell you that they are not about to hand out 400 Green Cards.

Anyway I thought you all thought that the US system was a joke and that the only valid licenses were those issued by the Cretins Against Aviation at Gatwick House
;)

[This message has been edited by Gspot (edited 30 May 2001).]