PDA

View Full Version : Qantas to Remove F Class from Key Routes

lc_461
22nd May 2009, 21:18
During the summer months Qantas has decided to withdraw first class from three long-haul routes owing to the downturn in traffic.
According to the industry publication Air Transport World, Qantas will not offer a first class cabin between July 6 and October 31 on flights between Sydney, San Francisco and Buenos Aires in addition to its Melbourne-Hong Kong-London service.
First class availability on these three Qantas routes has now been withdrawn from airline booking systems between the above dates.
The decision to withdraw first class between London and Melbourne on flights QF29 and QF30 will impact on those travellers using Qantas as an alternative to British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Virgin Atlantic and Air New Zealand between London and Hong Kong.
Qantas expects to operate its B747-400s on the London-Hong Kong-Melbourne route with the existing business, premium economy and economy seating. It's not clear whether first class will remain empty or whether Qantas will accommodate some of its favoured business class passengers in the premium cabin with the more spacious seating (but with business class catering and so on) at no extra cost.
For more information visit qantas.com.au (http://www.qantas.com.au/).
Report by Alex McWhirter

It mentions 'summer months', so I am assuming this is only temporary? If it is it will certainly devalue the F product should it be reintroduced...

Tankengine
23rd May 2009, 05:05
Ahh - so you mean "P" class!:ugh:

[first = P, business = J, econ = Y, stuffed if I know about premium y!]:)

Jetsbest
23rd May 2009, 06:16
Premium "Y" = "W" I believe.... :ok:

heads_down
23rd May 2009, 06:28
Bfirst are having a ball as not many passengers fill J, so don't be surprise aircraft may be configured to even lesser J seats and subsequently less work for J operators as they are called on to work at the back.

James Boag
23rd May 2009, 06:55
Getting rid of P class?! Where will the staff sit?! :}

flyergirl
23rd May 2009, 07:03
all I can say is all my recent flights have been full in every class...it must be the excellent service I provide! ;) hehe....ok no one have a go at me, I'm just having a laugh:ok:

heads_down
23rd May 2009, 09:15
those were tickets booked and paid for in 2007. Forward bookings have taken a huge hit, the next 6 months esp summer in northern hemisphere will be noticeably quiet and in fact Autumn and winter northern hemisphere will really see the effects as the bookings from Jan 09 to date shows a huge huge drop. Why do you think the company kept saying they are losing money on all American and European bookings? Esp pacific route. No one is making money on that route, in fact Qantas had lose the most money on that route.

You've been busy serving upgrades from points and staff travel, all non revenue generating seats.

Let's not also forget the European courts fine that will top Billion in Euros plus interest coming to a cinema near you. Qantas scrambling to find cash. Like it or not might have to do a fire sale on frequent flyer business.

flyergirl
23rd May 2009, 09:34
:} My intelligence level extends to understand the seriousness of the current situation..... BUT, I was just trying to have a LAUGH!!!!:uhoh:

Never mind,I will just go back in my box....:8

heads_down
23rd May 2009, 09:46
I still cannot get over how a company that does criminal background checks on nearly all their staff actually commits criminal offense over a period of 3 years! And how the company can keep quiet about it even it was all over the news as if nothing had happened. They really owe an apology to their honest staff.

As the bible says, judge not ye be judged. And so true.

flyergirl
23rd May 2009, 10:30
I cannot resist...are we talking about first class removal or what????? Ok that's enough for me,time for a drink!!!!:bored:

Enema Bandit's Dad
23rd May 2009, 11:18
What are they being fined for? :sad: