View Full Version : BA009 LHR - Per 1982, all engines lost...

scudpilot
22nd May 2009, 18:14
Just watched an air crash investigation documentary on National Geographic about the BA 747 that was unlucky enough to fly through a volcanic ash cloud and loose all 4 engines.. Fantastic programme, and Eric Moody and co, if you are on here... you are all legends!:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd May 2009, 19:23
Eric is still as large as life, delivering excellent talks on the incident.

I had the good fortune to fly home with my family from Miami some years ago with Eric as the Captain. I managed to get on the flight deck from near TOD and stayed until we parked at Heathrow. It was a truly amazing experience..

Leezyjet
22nd May 2009, 19:36
That 747 is currently residing at Bournemouth, wearing the colours of European Aviation - although it won't ever fly again as the wings have been chopped off.

I heard that European wanted £100,000 for it as scrap, although it would be nice to do as has been done in Stockholm and turn it into a hotel/b&b - which would probably do quite well in that part of the world.

:)

Captain Airclues
22nd May 2009, 21:50
Eric has his own website;

Welcome to Eric Moody (http://www.ericmoody.com/)

Dave

scudpilot
22nd May 2009, 21:54
Hi All,

Found the site earlier and emailed Eric, surprised to get back a really nice response a few hours later, just re-enforcing what I suspected.. top bloke! :ok:

Bullethead
23rd May 2009, 05:40
BA009 LHR - Per 1982, all engines lost...

Just curious, why has the thread title got LHR in it when the incident occurred nearer to CGK?

Regards,
BH.

Captain Airclues
23rd May 2009, 07:36
Bullethead

Possibly because the aircraft started its journey at LHR and its destination was PER.

Dave

Bullethead
23rd May 2009, 07:54
Looks like you've got all the Clues Captain, I missed the Per, being partly in lower case, as the destination and wondered about the LHR as the actual sector was KUL-PER.

Regards and thanks,
BH.

Icare9
24th May 2009, 16:59
I flew to Perth a year later and was surprised to hear applause on landing.
Not really the done thing on BA, what!
It was only watching TV news that I realised the connection and that there must have been a passenger "reunion" group on board.
Have to say that I was glad not to have been aboard a year earlier!

cml387
27th May 2009, 20:53
Although reports are available going way back on the AAIB website, I can't find the report on this incident. Being a British aircraft I would have thought it would be there. Anyone have any links?