PDA

View Full Version : Merlin at Uffington White Horse 20 May 09 - Thanks!

Cyprus countrybred
21st May 2009, 20:40
A friend and I were riding up Uffington Castle yesterday (Weds 20 May) at about 1745; nearing the top, I looked north to see a heli approaching, somewhat lower than we were, much to my alarm, as we were near the side of a very steep hill and my horse (altho Tornado- and C130-proof) isn't so used to helicopters! I turned sideways in the hope that the crew would see my hi-viz vest - luckily they did, from what looked to be about three miles away, and climbed until they were well above and away from the hill. Many thanks to the crew for their excellent observation.

cc

downziser
21st May 2009, 20:53
I turned sideways

Surely if you turned sideways your hi viz jacket would have been less of a target in which case from three miles the pilot would have had to have eyesight that only superman possessed.

Cyprus countrybred
21st May 2009, 21:11
The horse was already sideways on, but as he's black, he's not that reflective!

Faithless
21st May 2009, 21:17
Surely if you turned sideways your hi viz jacket would have been less of a target in which case from three miles the pilot would have had to have eyesight that only superman possessed.

OH DEAR Does it matter....It's nice to see some one from the horsie world taking the time and effort to say thanks and not lodging a compo claim for stupid amounts......:confused:

Thank you Cyprus...proving that helicopter crews do care and do react to horse riders:ok:

downziser
21st May 2009, 21:28
OH DEAR Does it matter

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter is there?:rolleyes:

Heliringer
22nd May 2009, 07:19
Since you knew it was coming I would probably just have got off the horse and held it whilst the Helicopter passed over.

Hueymeister
22nd May 2009, 09:04
Glad to see it works..what about strobes for the horse-riders helmets?

glum
22nd May 2009, 09:14
Hell, why not fit SIFF if we're going as far as strobes!:E

cornish-stormrider
22nd May 2009, 11:41
can we not lobotomise the horses to make them less nervous?

Cyprus countrybred
22nd May 2009, 11:52
Heliringer

Thanks for the advice; getting off and holding it might be an option with some horses, but if it then becomes really upset and ends up legging it on its own, it's likely to get into more trouble than if I stay on its back - at least if it goes, then I go with it!

cc

Cyprus countrybred
22nd May 2009, 11:54
Cornish stormrider

What's the fun in that? Might as well have a seaside donkey!

tonker
22nd May 2009, 18:06
The crew having seen so many large white elephants in the military, probably took one look at the horse and thought "fxxk that" just in case.;)

whowhenwhy
22nd May 2009, 19:12
How can they see the white elephant if they're inside it?:E

minigundiplomat
24th May 2009, 13:46
How can they see the white elephant if they're inside it?

You will annoy Wizard with talk like that. Everyone knows the Merlin, EHI 01 or EH101 is the premium helicopter in service with the British Forces.

It's just misunderstood, though if they got on with deploying to HERRICK at some point in the near future, people may be better placed to understand it, instead of referring to it as a 'white elephant' or 'freakcopter'.

ProfessionalStudent
24th May 2009, 14:33
Cyprus

Firstly, :D:D:D:D

Secondly to the Merlin crew :ok::D

It's pretty good to come on here and try to give the horsie fraternity some better press. We're normally pretty hostile to them on here, perhaps understandably. If only all horsie people had the same common sense approach. Please tell all your horsie friends of your tale (if you haven't already) and perhaps we can all live in peace and harmony...:}

As someone who's knocked a lady from her horse recently, we crews are really conscientious and have a terrible time of it if the worst happens and someone falls. We do whatever we can, but these things just happen.

soprano54
24th May 2009, 19:14
Merlin flying........................now that's a first!:ouch: