PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Air Operations In Angola

Icarusnc
21st May 2009, 19:57
Looking for any pros and cons of flying Air26 out of Luanda to any of their destinations. If one destination they fly to is worse than another, that informtion would be helpful as well, e.g. runway conditions, nav aids, communications.
Thanks very much in advance,
Kris Williams

Flutterbug
22nd May 2009, 07:48
I don't really understand what your question is. Do you want to work for them or do you want to fly somewhere with them??

Air 26 is a rather solid operator in Angola and has been around for quite some time. In the past two years I have not heard of one accident or incident from them. They fly as most operators to various destinations within Angola. Most of the Runways and airports in Angola have been revamped, tarred and feathered and it is quite a pleasure to fly in Angola once you have left Luanda itself. All airports have ATC, or at least someone manning a radio. There are Various stations that you can speak to enroute to anywhere and they are all happy to relay information to Luanda for you by telephone.

Alternatively to Air 26, there is also Diexim, Gemini and Angola Air Services that would be able to help you out for For a Dollar or Two.

Hope the information was helpful.

Icarusnc
22nd May 2009, 10:31
Thanks for your reply Flutterbug...

I was thinking of taking my family on vacation to Angola and while there, look into commercial operators for possible employment. I'm thinking of climbing out of the cockpit and into maintenance management.

In doing research on domestic carriers in Angola, I came across several posts dating back to 2004 regarding Air26 both good and bad and thought it wise to seek an update.

Thanks for the names of the other operators - I have to adjust my thinking when it comes to domestic carriers in Angola and perhaps Africa as a whole.

Do you know anything about Fly540?

Again, thanks very much. You have been very helpful.

Cheers,
Kris Williams

Flutterbug
22nd May 2009, 11:11
If you are looking for work, I would suggest that you fly out to Luanda and take your CV with you! Depending on your Maintenance experience and qualifications it would really not be difficult to get a good paying Job in Luanda. Also Try Sonangol, they are the Biggest Charter Company in Angola, and they pay the best Salaries.

As far as Bringing your Wife and Children to Have a Holiday?? Not a very Good idea as there is nothing Holidayish that you can do in Luanda, It is a big dark stinking hole in the earth, rather take them to Mauritius with the Big heap of Dollars that you will be earning!:ok:

Regards
Fluttybuggy!

Csanad007
22nd May 2009, 12:08
By the way: are there SEP ops in Angola? I mean the ones that hire aspiring low-timers?

Thanks in advance:
Csanad

big buddah
22nd May 2009, 15:30
Icarusnc,

First off you are mad to think about Angola as a place to take your family for a holiday! Luanda is the one of a few places in the world that's classified as a **** hole! and we're not joking.
It's also not a place to get work and then bring your family to. Most expat workers are there fly in/out contracts. Oil contracts are generally 5 weeks on 5 off. Others are more around 2 to 3 months on 1 month off, some single guys stay longer for the extra cash.
I'd highly recommend contacting operators in Africa before heading over or it could be a huge waste of time if you don't know what your doing?

There is not many contracts in Africa where you could bring your family and work. But there is plenty of contracts if you don't mind flexibility and hard work.

BB

dangermouse1977
2nd Jun 2009, 11:29
The poster above is quite correct.
I'm one of those oil bods based here in Luanda on a 4on 4off rotation and, having been here for a number of years now can safely say it is, indeed a complete ****hole.

The only amenity here is the airport out.

There's nothing to do here as a tourist, no readily available ground transportation, safety is a real concern in most areas of the city.

In short, keep your family away!!

stone_crusher
14th Jun 2009, 12:05
hey guys....
what are the requirements for pilots to get a job

i am 820 tt with 520 twin piston any chances??

BR
stone

Propstop
14th Jun 2009, 18:44
Stone_crusher.
About that of a snowflake in hell. Read and digest the info of the other posters; It is EXACTLY as described. The first drinks served after T/O from LAD are heaven!!! I have worked here for a long time.

ng78
21st Aug 2009, 17:46
Any updates on Angola? If things are so bad there as everybody seems to say, then why should it be nearly impossible for a low timer (under 1000 hours) to get a job there?

MungoP
21st Aug 2009, 19:18
ng78 Any updates on Angola? If things are so bad there as everybody seems to say, then why should it be nearly impossible for a low timer (under 1000 hours) to get a job there?

Because A: You are not Angolan
and B: There are plenty of Angolans who want to be pilots in Angola.
and C: Most of them flying there have little or no command of English.
and D: In the current market there are very many experienced pilots from
many countries inc Africa who would put up with the
conditions there in order to earn a crust...

BALEWA
21st Aug 2009, 21:47
Thats how they scare job hunters from coming their way Icarusnc, give it a try "****hole" or whatever they call it, they know why they are there :E
themselves...

B:ok:

Flutterbug
22nd Aug 2009, 09:27
Did you now have to go and give our little secret away??? Shame on you Balewa!!! Shame on you!!:}

BALEWA
22nd Aug 2009, 21:48
..oooh stop Flutterbug :O ur making me go all fluush now, give the guy a break guys, we all needed it not too long ago...

contrabando
27th Aug 2009, 17:51
Angola a ****hole? Been there...it's absolute Paradise on Earth compared to...

Sudan. The tower controllers piss down the Juba tower steps to keep from having to actually walk down & up the stairway. I thought I was going to pass out from the smell after filing a flight plan. A REAL ****hole, Sudan.

The absolute top of the ****hole list would be....Somalia.

We should start a new thread...My Opinion of Africa's Top ****holes & have people vote on their least favorit ****hole!:(

tomboi
28th Aug 2009, 14:18
Sorry offtopic, but contraband, how are job opportunities in Sudan and Somalia? I´m going there anyway so calling the places as ****holes won´t make any difference but info about jobs could make me smile. Especially the ones for lowhourer with fATPL.

MungoP
28th Aug 2009, 15:48
You don't want to go to Somalia... You REALLY DO NOT WANT to go to Somalia...
Don't go to Somalia.

BALEWA
29th Aug 2009, 10:16
tomboi, I have to agree with Mungop on this one, please stay away from Somalia.

Listen to us please.

tomboi
29th Aug 2009, 12:42
Hey, You guys came back alive, so why wouldn´t I? It is not all about glamour and shiny things for both of us, I guess. :}

Still interested in opportunities out there...

big buddah
29th Aug 2009, 12:57
Tomboi,
I think you have no idea, of what it's all about! You do not want to go there! WE SAY THIS IN COMPLETE RESPECT TO THE VALUE OF YOUR LIFE!

We understand you have low hours but be realistic about it all. You don't have to put your life on the line just for a few hours in the log book.
If you've got low hours it just makes it even more dangerous!

tomboi
29th Aug 2009, 13:05
Thanks big buddah, I respect your views mates. For me it is an opportunity just to live in a place what you call the asshole of the earth, experience it and probably at the same time get some flying done. In that order.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Aug 2009, 05:10
Somalia? Why not? Got to learn some time I guess. Not certain how you'll get there. Try sailing up and down the coast until the welcome committee comes out to greet you.

Don't take any wooden nickels.

ZAZOO
30th Aug 2009, 11:09
I suggest you pick up the recent september issue of National Geographic tomboi. Article titled Somalia: The Number One Failed Nation

Very Interesting read before you embark on your journey as remarkable as it may sound to some of us. At the end of the day the decision is yours and if you do find your way out there do us a little favour and let us know how your doing my friend.

Goodluck and be careful out there tomboi.

Zazoo

stone_crusher
23rd Sep 2009, 08:58
can someone pls. provide wit the conatact details for hr??
br
stone

winguru
7th Feb 2010, 06:50
Did you went to Somalia?

FrankAbagnale
8th Feb 2010, 12:21
how can one apply for TAAG? :confused: