PDA

View Full Version : Iberia + Air France-KLM

GSMini
21st May 2009, 17:58
Merger rumour machine is back!

Last rumours are saying (saw it in an aviation Spanish site called extracrew, I can post a link to the site, but itīs in Spanish) that Iberia is now looking to AF-KLM for a possible merger, instead of BA. Both airlines have seen their stock value rise between 5 to 11 % due to this rumours.

More info on this one?

Regards!:}

Otterman
21st May 2009, 18:13
Highly unlikely. Air France/KLM has enough on its plate. It already has a 25% stake in Alitalia. It is already huge, and adding Iberia to the mix would undoubtedly cause a major upheaval with the competition authority. Also different alliances. I think BA and Iberia is the only possible move, but this has become a very complicated issue in view of stock prices and future outlook for both airlines, and countries.

GSMini
21st May 2009, 18:29
Hi there,

Seems unlikely to me too, but you know...One never knows. And as said in that web, Fernando Conte literally said, that Iberia will get the numbers right...no matter if itīs with BA or any other airline. They need to merge with someone.

But to be honest, there will be a major issue with competition, thatīs for sure. Even more..theyīre not even in the same alliance..

Regards.

ulxima
26th May 2009, 13:54
Does anybody know if there is any LD to pay for a mermer airline of an alliance if they move to another one?
During Alitalia soap opera about Air France-KLM and Lufthansa to buy a stake, an Italian newspaper published a news about possible LDs for Alitalia to pay if they had left Skyteam for Star Alliance.
This was considered another reason for accepting AF-KLM offer instead of LH.

I wonder to what extent this could be true.

Ciao,
Ulxima