View Full Version : EK A380 Loads?

Geebz
21st May 2009, 09:22
So is this bird all she's cracked up to be?

A buddy at QR told me the A380 that arrived next to their plane in JFK has something like 100 pax on-board. True?

It will be interesting to see if the experiment works. Boeing said the marketplace won't support this big of an aicraft, I tended to side with Airbus' prediction that as avaition grows certain routes will need to be compressed into VLJs.

What's the verdict thus far?

Ketek400
21st May 2009, 11:31
It is so hard to tell at the moment. Some flight are up to the brim and then some are very very low. I guess the same on 777 and 330/340?

It is all about the cost per km per pax. I guess the bean counters would know best. At least we have more seats on a route like LHR. Problem is that we only have set amount of slots into a place like London.

Guess the Toronto should also benifit from the 380, due to 3 slots per week.

Anyway, best way to travel at the moment by far on the 380. Very very quiet compared to the rest, and to me that makes all the difference in fatique.

Oblaaspop
21st May 2009, 12:29
Came back 1st Class on the A180 from JFK this week.

1st had 9 of its 14 seats filled (albeit 1 was me on SBY), but J had ALL of its 76 seats filled (I guess that would have funded the flight alone?). I did venture downstairs for a gloat at the steerage pax and guess there were about 60-80 empty seats out of the 390 odd.

So while not full, a pretty respectable load none the less, however, no way of telling how many were upgrades or what the yield is.......

As someone has said already, its swings and roundabouts, while the load may be light on the outbound sector, it may well be full coming back. So in essence, its pointless looking at the load on any given single sector as its completely irrelevant! Say what you like about EK, but one thing they seem to be VERY good at is revenue management and commercial decision making, its the 'man management' that is lacking here!!

As a point of interest, I must say that I am very impressed with the machine from a pax point of view. Incredibly quiet (almost silent in-fact), and the shower was great----- I even considered having a me-some (a meeting with Palmela Handerson), but thought better of it as people have been sacked for less!!:ok:

Cheers

dupont3700
21st May 2009, 12:43
SBY in first class??? Is this normal?

Oblaaspop
21st May 2009, 13:10
Never heard of Standby (sub-load) travel?? Is that normal?:ugh:

Ketek400
21st May 2009, 14:15
Yes ID90 ticket. Must be a capt.

SOPS
22nd May 2009, 01:08
sounds normal to me:ok:

Geebz
25th May 2009, 14:51
Then there is the cargo. At my airline, we hear complaints of empty flights out of BOM yet they off-load non-revs to carry all the stby revenue cargo they can get on the bird.

White Knight
25th May 2009, 18:36
Too bad Geebz............. Try flying for an airline with bigger aeroplanes:p

Oh yeah - revenue freight comes before subload pax at most airlines....

EK2EYengineer
28th May 2009, 15:56
Heard from a friend EK is shutting down US WEST COAST STATIONS ENGINEERS ALREADY BEEN TOLD TO PACK THEIR BAGS

Kapitanleutnant
29th May 2009, 06:15
Was just on an LAX flight and dispatchers/agents mentioned the same thing.... LAX, SFO & IAH all losing maintenance people.