PDA

View Full Version : Launy Rwy Lights, now to the High Court

schlong hauler
21st May 2009, 07:40
From the ABC. Just love the sensationalist reporting of an incident I thought was dead and buried.
Trial against 'reckless' Qantas pilots to proceed - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/21/2577462.htm?section=justin)

FOCX
21st May 2009, 09:01
SH, how was the ABC report sensationalist and it's not going to the High Court! The report simply states that the High Court found that a Tassie Supreme Court Judge erred in giving a permanent stay to the charge the pilots faced. As to the headline use of "reckless", this comes from the charge they faced of reckless operation of an aircraft. The report doesn't inflame in any way the incident and it doesn't insinuate the charge is just or anything, just a statement of what is alleged to have occurred and that it will proceed to a hearing after all!

schlong hauler
21st May 2009, 09:28
Its the title that is sensationalist by using the allegation of being 'reckless' as a statement inferring guilt. As to the the remainder of the story you are quite correct. Innocent until proven guilty?

FOCX
21st May 2009, 09:55
Sorry SH, I don't agree. The charge is 'reckless operation of an aircraft.' Whether or not we agree with the charge is irrelevant. The reporter has also used inverted commas to highlight this. It's not a statement from the reporter of what he thinks about the event. I read it as just a flat report that doesn't try to imply anything.

Dick Smith
21st May 2009, 10:28
What an incredible waste of money.

No pilots would take off intentionally at night without runway lights- no advantage for them at all.

Either it didn't happen or it was an unintentional error.

What was CASA thinking when they put this up to the DPP?

FOCX
21st May 2009, 10:39
I agree with you Dick, but it isn't CASA money I bet. I would think this will come out of the DPP's budget! Doesn't cost CASA one red cent and they are seen to be making sure that the airlines are also toeing the line in the public's mind.

Kangaroo Court
21st May 2009, 22:19
I'm with Mr Smith on this one. What a bloody waste of time and money!

C441
21st May 2009, 22:29
"Trial against allegedly reckless Qantas pilots" just doesn't catch the eye the same way.

Bring back Stuie Littlemore!

Checkboard
21st May 2009, 23:08
No pilots would take off intentionally at night without runway lights
Oh - I don't know! I've done it in the past.

max autobrakes
24th May 2009, 01:50
Careful, Australia has extradition rights with the UK!:}

walaper
24th May 2009, 07:10
A long time ago in a far off mystical land used to give departure report whilst still loading pax so as to be departed before last light:ooh:

pigdriver
24th May 2009, 07:21
Didnt a jetstar crew do it as well ??? From memory, it to was in YMLT.

Fark'n'ell
24th May 2009, 08:14
What was CASA thinking when they put this up to the DPP?

Probably the the same thing when they decided to prosecute an individual for doing "unauthorised work" on his Wilga when it didn't have a current C of A.He could been dismantling it for parts but the d******d from CASA who laid the complaint knew better.

Ramboflyer 1
24th May 2009, 12:38
Its OK for Jetstar to take of without lights as it saves money , but there is no excuse for a full service full cost airline like QF.:ok: