PDA

View Full Version : Private Forum

Arfur Dent
19th May 2009, 05:12
There is a private forum for Cathay Pacific and it has no entries/threads at all. Would it not be better for everyone entitled to take advantage this privacy?

Some of the posts don't reflect very well on us as an educated (sic) group of employees. Try and see what the intimate dealings at Virgin are. You can't 'cos you aren't entitled.

Arcla
19th May 2009, 05:57
How do you get access - i have attempted to but can't. I think it is a very good idea!

sizematters
19th May 2009, 06:01
nothing quite like intimate dealings with a Virgin.................

:=

Rook
19th May 2009, 06:13
Or you could use the AOA forum with the only real useful info on it.

Rusty Shagman
19th May 2009, 12:46
I believe there is some concern that opening the forum to CX employees would overload the server bitching bandwidth!

moosp
19th May 2009, 16:24
I think it is a sad reflection of the fear amongst CX, Dragon and other AOC holder's pilots in HKG, and CAD ATC that if they put their real name on a posting, even if it is on a mildly contentious subject, that they will be seen as a tall poppy by the junior managers whose job it is to monitor web sites.

From my knowledge of the workings of our fleet management they do not have the time nor the inclination to read and police web sites. Indeed many of the handles of pprune posters are known to management (including mine...) but as long as you don't, "bring the airline into disrepute" you can bitch and complain all you like and cast aspersions as to the marital status of the parents of most managers. Water off a ducks...

So it is a perception thing. People don't want to put their names to a post in case they get fired, but the reality is that within the normal limits of pprune protocol nobody in management gives a toss what you write.

Danny, PPruneTowers and Jet Driver were skeptical that a Fragrant Harbour private forum would work and it took several years and some persuasion before they tried it. Looks like they were right all along.

Arfur Dent
19th May 2009, 18:22
Apparently Pprune Towers tried it and gave up. Didn't work so you can't get in and it doesn't work.
At least we know.

PPRuNe Towers
19th May 2009, 18:47
Here's what was written earlier today regarding the forum:

It's not running,

I simply fired it up and into view when a thread klcked off saying there should be one.

Interest dies instantly when we do that with companies sustaining a significant level of internal paranoia. Emirates suffers the same problem.

Regards
Rob PPRuNe AdminSo, the forum is functioning and has worked in the past but people were persuaded to go over to the AOA forum many years ago. We don't regard that as a failure because associations such as the AOA and Balpa were forced by the popularity of PPRuNe to set up forums for their members. Back in the summer of 1995 the whole concept was offered to Balpa but Danny and I were advised it could never work - we take great satisfaction having so many companies and associations follow suit after our total failure to engage and attract professional pilots :E

Entirely up to you guys if you want to staff it, moderate it and grant access. However, the truth is that our experience shows the level of internal disharmony within a company can reach a point where trust is so totally absent a private forum never reaches anywhere near a functioning number of writers. This is especially so when there is a familiar and well used public forum like this.

Rob

Sqwak7700
20th May 2009, 02:13
However, the truth is that our experience shows the level of internal disharmony within a company can reach a point where trust is so totally absent a private forum never reaches anywhere near a functioning number of writers.

That just about sums it up for anybody with any questions. What do you think Jagman, maybe you can have this post deleted too? :yuk:

Arfur Dent
20th May 2009, 06:28
Hey it was just an idea 7700. Nasty little nudge back from you as usual. Hopefully you did as you asked everyone else to do and voted No/No. You'll be busy explaining yourself to the Fleet Office when they phone you up.
No??
Didn't think so.

Sqwak7700
20th May 2009, 11:04
Why don't you put in a good word for me Jag, you are probably always up there playing "cranial proctologist".

I did vote no and no, you see I'm not as quick to lay down as you are. Now run off to the private forum and post about how great Cathay is. You can even reply to yourself. I'm sure you won't have to run off to the moderators asking for posts to be removed... yours will be the only ones in there. :ok:

Arfur Dent
20th May 2009, 17:59
Actually 77, if you do your research, you'll see that the only time I have deleted a post was recently when someone to whom I was replying changed his original post. The chronology didn't make sense, so I deleted my reply.
Good luck with your interview big boy!!